What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Tommy Smith

Referee
Salted caramel looks to be the flavour of choice for many today. Extra salted.

Congrats again to Pearce on a good performance. NSW half for the next 5 years led the team well :D

Valheru

Coach
I see you flogs still don't understand the tactic. There was no intent to contest the bombs to oates. It was all about field position and pearce was pinpoint in a first half arm wrestle.

4 of his 11 long kicks did find the grass but don't let the facts get in the way of your salt.

Short kicking was his only issue last night. He was good in every other aspect including a game topping 7 one on one tackles despite not playing the final 30 min.

BennyV

Referee
Unimpressive, but didnt lose us the game.

Kick was good in lengths, his bombs didnt get nearly enough loft on them and his short kicking was abysmal.
HIs passing was confusing, a lot of skipping to the outside to throw strange, floating cut outs and did a lot of passing 5m before the line.

Seemed very busy though.

I thought we looked a lot better with Maloney pulling the strings. Pearce needs to take a back seat for game 2.

Bubbles

Juniors
I see you flogs still don't understand the tactic. There was no intent to contest the bombs to oates. It was all about field position and pearce was pinpoint in a first half arm wrestle.

4 of his 11 long kicks did find the grass but don't let the facts get in the way of your salt.

Short kicking was his only issue last night. He was good in every other aspect including a game topping 7 one on one tackles despite not playing the final 30 min.

Exactly! It was clear as day this was the tactic. As said, he was never going to be a superstar at this level, but he had a good game, was executing the plan and only those determined to hate on the guy could be so blind as to miss this.

Danish

Referee
I find it funny that Peats entire contribution to last night was basically just not making a mistake, and the guy is lauded as a f**king hero.

While Pearce scores a try, sets up another, defended like a beast..... but is effectively hittler aids.

For the record I think Peats played well, mainly because he wasn't being the perennial momentum ruining f**kstick that Farah always is in origin. It's just strange to compare the reactions to 2 very similar performances

big hit!

Bench
so many folks know f**k all about tactics, it's so f**kin sad. it's why the rugby league media treats supporters like muppets. probably because most of us are.

If you can't see what the plan was with Pearce continually putting the ball up to Oates, then turn the computer off now.

big hit!

Bench
I find it funny that Peats entire contribution to last night was basically just not making a mistake, and the guy is lauded as a faking hero.

While Pearce scores a try, sets up another, defended like a beast..... but is effectively hittler aids.

For the record I think Peats played well, mainly because he wasn't being the perennial momentum ruining f**kstick that Farah always is in origin. It's just strange to compare the reactions to 2 very similar performances

if they didn't have the telstra tracker, they wouldn't have been up his arse so much.

but that was the game NSW have been crying out for from a hooker for several years. he got into acting half and got the ball out of the ruck immediately while the opposition were still on the line. Farah had to be seen with the ball as much as possible. i guarantee with Farah in the team, the domination would be not. With Peats' service, the NSW forwards had a heap of time to get their steam up before hitting the line, and the halves could put something on without having to keep one eye on the opposition forwards up in their face.

Liddell

Juniors
He went ok, did his job.

You'd like to have seen a more dominant performance given the whole "it's Pearce's side" crisp but after what we're used to with him I'll take what he dished up last night any day.

It's the two dud kicks when he was actually under pressure that worries me going into game two. Cant afford that playing at a low scoring ANZ.

LatK7

First Grade
I don't think he was anywhere near as great as the Channel 9 panel made him out to be, but he wasn't miserable. Given how dominant NSW were up front it's probably the best he'll do.

What was most frustrating was the short kicking game. NSW are generally struggling for field position and possession against QLD and kicks like that are just a killer. Fortunately NSW had plenty more opportunities. Credit to his support play though.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I find it funny that Peats entire contribution to last night was basically just not making a mistake, and the guy is lauded as a f**king hero.

My Nan would have scored that try. And Pearce murdered yet another Origin overlap last night with a pointless attempt at a grubber that ended up in QLD possession.

But he essentially guaranteed his automatic selection for the next 35yrs last night, so all good with me.

betcats

Referee
Exactly! It was clear as day this was the tactic. As said, he was never going to be a superstar at this level, but he had a good game, was executing the plan and only those determined to hate on the guy could be so blind as to miss this.

They were well placed but even if the plan is to not contest the catch they need to be higher to allow the kick chase to get there as or just after he catches it and hammer him before he gets moving. If you are playing field position allowing corey oates time to wind up and return kicks is not a good tactic and certainly would not be the plan.

Pearce was pretty good last night, as in solid without being great. The problem is that is the best we can hope for him, even roosters fans can see that and last night he was playing behind a completely dominant forward pack and the best we can hope for is a solid performance with only a couple of poor options. We didn't lose anything when we lost pearce, we might of actually been better it is hard to say. He deserves credit for playing well, but it wasn't a performance that has proven anyone wrong, if anything it just reiterates that longterm Pearce is not the guy.

Liddell

Juniors
They were well placed but even if the plan is to not contest the catch they need to be higher to allow the kick chase to get there as or just after he catches it and hammer him before he gets moving. If you are playing field position allowing corey oates time to wind up and return kicks is not a good tactic and certainly would not be the plan.

It clearly was or it would've stopped after a few attempts.

I'd rather Oates than Gagai, that guy looked dangerous with every touch.

big hit!

Bench

Pearce was pretty good last night, as in solid without being great. The problem is that is the best we can hope for him, even roosters fans can see that and last night he was playing behind a completely dominant forward pack and the best we can hope for is a solid performance with only a couple of poor options. We didn't lose anything when we lost pearce, we might of actually been better it is hard to say. He deserves credit for playing well, but it wasn't a performance that has proven anyone wrong, if anything it just reiterates that longterm Pearce is not the guy.

it took Boyd out of the game who is more dangerous at running the ball out, and it also tired another QLD big body in Oates who had to run back the ball and absorb contact continually. Oates basically couldn't help out with the carries as the game wore on when the QLD forwards were struggling too. Sure it was a coaching tactic, but it was tasked to Pearce and it did the job.

myrrh ken

First Grade

Different players so its hard to compare. Peats job is quick service, Pearce's job is to organise the attack.

Peats also topped the tackle count of both sides.

Pearce was average. He only attempted getting a repeat set on 2 attempts. First one, he rabbit rooted the ground, the second was straight at Gagai (I think). His bombing was mediocre - too low, no swirl. He wasn't bad but neither was he good. Shows the same level of composure on the 16th time around as the 1st. ie he's not going to get any better.

betcats

Referee
It clearly was or it would've stopped after a few attempts.

I'd rather Oates than Gagai, that guy looked dangerous with every touch.

Im sure the plan was to bomb to the wings and smash the winger, but the kicks needed to be higher to allow both wingers less time to wind up, im saying the kicks could of been executed better.

Smack

Coach
Pearce was below average. Shit kicks, duffed short kick, hospital pass to Maloney, thrown like a rag doll when trying to tackle. 'Tactical' long bombs caught safely with no pressure because Oates had a minute to take each one and there was never enough time for any NSW to get close bar a couple kicks.

btw Peats got through 53 tackles. He didn't really put a foot wrong, I'm more than happy for him to grow into the 9 so we never see Farah again, but hey this is about Pearce.

grouch

First Grade
Pearce was average. He only attempted getting a repeat set on 2 attempts. First one, he rabbit rooted the ground, the second was straight at Gagai (I think). His bombing was mediocre - too low, no swirl. He wasn't bad but neither was he good. Shows the same level of composure on the 16th time around as the 1st. ie he's not going to get any better.
That kick to Gagai was dreadful. That set of six began inside the Maroons half - Tedesco caught the Maroons kick on the 50.... surely it had to end with either a try, or a repeat set. Those kinds of opportunities rarely come. It was a strong set, and on the last Pearce runs to the line and pokes what kinda looks like a grubber, but is actually a low-trajectory chip kick - straight to Gagai's chest inside the in-goal. So Pearce turned a rolled-gold opportunity to set up camp in Qld territory, into a 7 tackle set for the Maroons. Wow. Only Mitch.

That said, he was ok for the rest of the game. I also got the feeling that Daley, knowing Mitchell's deficiencies, encouraged the team to run the ball on the last instead. That was smart.