What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moderators

HevyDevy

Coach
Just curious for the thoughts of all of the mods - at what point does it become clear that a moderator has gone 'power hungry' for wont of a better term.

The mod in question knows who he is (as I'm sure most do).

I mean, I'm amused by the whole thing but I have to ask before the time comes when this becomes a major issue.

I'll be interested to see if any other mids get to this before the mod in question deletes it ...

:crazy:

millersnose

Post Whore
what a pile of nonsense

you were warned in that thread that your off topic tit for tat with roopy would be removed

many here seem to get upset when moderated

i have a thick skin hevy and your thread can remain as this is a politcs thread after all and as such is quite interesting to see my opponents vent their various frustrations at having been moderated

HevyDevy

Coach
Hi Millers :nwave:

That's fine, I don't care about that thread per se, but I do expect every single thread that ever deviates off topic to have said posts chopped.

EVERY thread.

Will this happen?

millersnose

Post Whore
hi hevy

if it degenerates into a mutiple off topic tit for tat as you engaged in before yes

oh and it wasnt as if i didnt provide a warning and a request to stay on topic in that thread

HevyDevy

Coach
Your use of the word degenerate is liberal, but so be it.

I fear that you tend go looking for opportunities to 'moderate' (actually my use of the word fear may be a fraction liberal too, but you get the point) but if that's what floats your boat, go for it.

This could, of course, be my reaction to being over-moderated in the past.

Mong

Post Whore
Lol HD..

You are not saying anything the rest of us already don't know.. It is definately different for different posters depending on whether he likes you, what political leaning you have and if you are talking about a topic he agrees with or not..

It's best to be a right wing nutter who abuses everything to do with anything green.. You can say what you like in that case..

Don't bother yourself with it though, it's a way for the "big man" to make himself feel all important.. He can't handle posters doing back to him what he does, we have seen the results of that (see hiatus) so being a mod gives him the perfect out just to ge rid of posts that make him cry.

I just figured everyone already knew this, i was a little surprised to see your thread.

HevyDevy

Coach
Before the thread is shut down for drifting off topic, yes it ranks No.1 on my all-time list

roopy

Referee
I'm not a moderator anymore, but i did it for 8 years or so, so i think i can comment.

I always found someone got pissed off every time i did anything as a mod, and there is absolutely no reason to piss off anyone who is a regular and responsible poster - so my basic rule was to leave them alone. If regular posters want to take threads off to strange new places, someone will tell them to get back on track, or people will like the new direction and join in. No problem for a moderator to solve there.

I got stuck into Union trolls who were trying to destroy discussion or to just push a message that the vast majority were sick of hearing, and i also just stuck into a few people who were on an obvious mission to annoy. There are also a few 'boundaries' that can't be crossed, such as threats, posting personal details of others, X rated material etc - but regular, responsible posters having an interchange of opinions is not something i would 'moderate', even if it added nothing to the conversation.

It isn't the role of the moderator to 'control' the place. It is just the role of the moderator to see the place doesn't get 'out of control'.

HevyDevy

Coach
That's what I had a problem with Roopy - we weren't 'out of control', we were having a discussion even though, yes, it veered off topic.

The minute we start threatening one another - which will never happen - the mods can jump in and moderate away.

HevyDevy

Coach
Which leads us to ask of the other mods: Can you put a leash on Millers please? I don't need to be told what I can and can't discuss.

fish eel

Immortal
I've no issue with threads going off topic. Big deal Just scroll down the page have a laugh and dont take t too seriously.

I think the mods do a bang-up job in 4C, I can't recall them ever deleting a post of mine here.

This is what, my 4th or 5th 4C post?

I hope it holds up...

fish eel

Immortal
Personally, I'd prefer if mods stuck to moderating posts which were covered by these forum guidelines

DELETING THREADS / POSTS / WORDS / IMAGES
Members are asked to hold their discussions in a rational and mature manner. Any posts which abuse membership privileges will be deleted.
These include posts which are:
• Excessively abusive,
• Excessively obscene,
• Excessively vulgar,
• Slanderous or defaming,
• Excessively hateful or racist,
• Personally threatening,
• Excessively sexually-oriented,
or any other material that may be in violation of any applicable laws.

The Legal stuff...
DEFAMATION AND NAMING NAMES
Implicating a person or persons by way of naming names is forbidden.
In this regard, we refer to spreading unfounded rumours, innuendo or over speculation.
It also refers to repeating private conversations, or something that your 'Dad's mate heard down at the pub'.

Members are asked to pay particular attention to any post which defames or vilifies a public person or organisation.
Additionally, no links are allowed which have defamatory material.
By defamation, we mean accusations of corruption or any other illegal activity.
This also applies to any post or link which divulges details a person's private life, address or phone number(s).

Under such circumstances, the immediate deletion of such posts will be warranted.
Members who persist in posting defamatory or personal material will have their membership suspended indefinitely.

If someone is genuinly concerned a thread has gone too far off topic, they can always ask the mod to delete stuff.

The worse thing about the stuff being moved is we then have these silly threads with the dumb names.

roopy

Referee
Personally, I'd prefer if mods stuck to moderating posts which were covered by these forum guidelines

If someone is genuinly concerned a thread has gone too far off topic, they can always ask the mod to delete stuff.

The worse thing about the stuff being moved is we then have these silly threads with the dumb names.
deleteing posts is the quickest way to piss people off.
Splitting threads is annoying, but deleteing posts is much worse, and you need a bloody good reason on this site, or it's off to willow's office for the cane.

HevyDevy

Coach
I did manage to have a post deleted once for not citing a source ... even though the source was clearly cited.

Go figure.

bartman

Immortal
If you stick to deleting posts as per the user guidelines, then even if people get pissed off, you've got something to fall back on and usually there's no issue.

Moving/splitting of threads - and the reasons needed for doing that - are a bit hazier... and relies on something called "moderator discretion". That can be a very tricky concept to define and agree upon, especially when it happens in the heat of the moment and no team discussion has been entered into before the action is taken.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well it was certainly bizarre, but if there is one thing we know about Millers it's that he won't accept that he is wrong.