What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MONAGHAN SIGNS WITH THE ROOSTERS

BAY72

Juniors
how quickly you all turn!

just a week ago you were all ready to have his baby. and now...

I'm not impressed. in fact I'm furious that he left for the roosters. having a think about it over the last few days, I have come to the conclusion that the blame for this kind of f**k up lies on the NRL and the way this game is being run. It is an utter joke, as people have said
"the rich get richer, the poor get poorer!"
and we shouldn't blame Joel for wanting to get the most out of his career. The focus should be put back on the NRL, to fix the obvious gaps that are being created by Rorting teams. Players like joel should have the same opportunities as any one from the roosters to play rep footy, and it shouldn't come down to taking a supposed lesser contract (yeah right) just to get the opportunity.

something has to be done about this, as it is so corrupt now it's beyond the joke.

if players are willing to leave there team for an oportunity at rep footy, then something is seriously wrong!!
the best player for the job should be getting picked, and not the guy playing out side that player, just because they know each other. f**k you Gould!

And as for the Raiders Management. I've had enough! Terrible decisions year after year, yet we spend hours of our time each week traveling to and from as many games as possible, spending our money, on season tickets and merchindise. and the club makes decisions that destroy the very thing we believe in.
I think it is time for some new blood, to breath some fresh air into the Raiders management.
cause we can't afford to gamble anymore of our good talent away, by waiting till the last minute to give a decent offer.

sydraider

First Grade
Well ya never know, he might get picked for SOO next year, get injured and ruled out for the season, meanwhile one of his NEW team mates might sleaze onto his woman ( if he has one, maybe his move was a lifestyle choice ;-) ) which will force him to go awol and down the federal, there he hangs out with his FORMER team mates and gets homesick, forcing migraine boy to dump him to reggies until the end of the year when he will be relased by the club. :lol:
Lightning might yet strike twice ;-)

fillapop

Juniors
he signed wit da roosters cos hes not stupid....he wants 2 win a premiership and cmon we all know da raiders wont do that and time soon. he made a very good choice go the roosters :clap:

greeneyed

First Grade
fillapop said:
he signed wit da roosters cos hes not stupid....he wants 2 win a premiership and cmon we all know da raiders wont do that and time soon. he made a very good choice go the roosters :clap:

Get out of here vulture. The Roosters are SCUM. And they wonder why all the other supporters think they are dirt.

jed

First Grade
Joel signing with the roosters was a no-win situation for him. If he'd gotten more money than the Raiders offered him, he would've been attacked for going after the $$$, if he signed on for less it would have been for disloyalty and putting his own future ahead of the rest of the team.

Edwahu

Bench
It might be time we abandoned junior development and just started buying local juniors from other clubs.

If we made an announcement to that effect can you imagine the amount of flak we would cop from all quarters. Yet the Roosters work in exactly this way and we are meant to praise them as a super club?

Its sick.

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT reports that Ricky Stuart promised Joel an "out" at the end of the first season, if he hadn't settled well into Sydney. It isn't part of the formal contract, but the Roosters management confirmed it is part of the deal. Ricky even offered him a room in his house to stay in, so he could settle in, but is likely to move in with his brother.

These offers were made on last Saturday, in a last minute bid to swing the deal. Looks like it worked.

Mona's flee-the-coop clause New Rooster can take it or leave it next year
Rugby league By Chris Wilson
Wednesday, 14 July 2004

Departing Canberra Raiders centre Joel Monaghan has a verbal guarantee from Roosters coach Ricky Stuart that he can leave Sydney if he struggles to settle in next year.

Stuart made the offer on Saturday, helping sway Monaghan's decision to accept a three-year-deal with the Roosters early on Sunday morning.

It was another eventful day for the Raiders yesterday as senior players spoke out in support of the Canberra club. Fullback Clinton Schifcofske revealed he has started negotiations to extend his contract, claiming he would be happy to remain a Raider for life.

Along with club veterans Ruben Wiki (New Zealand Warriors) and Luke Davico (Wigan), Monaghan announced on the weekend he would be leaving the Raiders at the end of the season.

Monaghan explained yesterday how difficult the decision had been. It wasn't until 5am on Sunday, after a sleepless night, he had his answer.

Monaghan said money had not been an influential factor, with the Raiders, Roosters and Manly all making similar bids.

"At one stage I was thinking about going to Manly, I thought it'd be a good change," Monaghan said. "Then two days before [the decision] I was set on staying [in Canberra]. I sat down and thought about it and this [the Roosters] is what I came up with."

Player manager Jim Banaghan denied any knowledge of an out-clause in Monaghan's contract.

Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan confirmed it, but said it was not a written clause.

"It's just been done verbally," Canavan said. "That was one of those one-on-one chats Ricky had with Joel last Saturday."

The Roosters made a similar agreement with centre Justin Hodges after he walked out on pre-season training this year for personal reasons. Hodges returned to the Roosters this season but has been granted a release to join the Brisbane Broncos next year.

Stuart also offered Monaghan a room at his house until the 22-year-old felt settled in Sydney. Monaghan said he's most likely to move in with brother Michael, now captaining Manly. Canavan was confident Monaghan's move to Sydney would be a success.

"It's a real culture shock for some young players, but we don't see that as a problem for Joel because he's a professional senior NRL player now. He would have weighed that up before making his decision ... we're confident he'll slot straight in."

Monaghan said the deciding factor to join the Roosters was to play with a successful club.

"They're leading the comp, they have been for the last couple of years and I think they'll be there in the next couple. I think that's what's best for me as a footy player right now. They don't take much convincing, the Roosters."

Monaghan admitted he was nervous when he turned up to Raiders training on Monday, but he denied any disharmony among players, coaches or management.

That was backed up by Schifcofske, who said he was hopeful of playing at least another three seasons in Canberra.

Schifcofske's current contract runs out at the end of next year, but the classy fullback said he'd be "happy to finish my career" with the Raiders.

"I've got a house here and a young family. They're very happy and so am I, so hopefully we can sort something out," Schifcofske said.

Canberra captain Simon Woolford called a private meeting of players on Monday afternoon at training headquarters to set an agenda for the remainder of the season.

"We're all happy and we made a pact that this year's going to be a big year," Raiders prop Ryan O'Hara said.

"Ruben, Luke and Joel want to go out winners and we're going to do our best to make that happen.

"The last few weeks we've all been a bit distracted, but after [Monday] everyone's in a good mood and positive about the rest of the year.

"I think we'll be stronger for it."

Schifcofske described the current situation as "probably the most solid I've seen the place in my four years here. It's surprising how a little bit of adversity brings a group of 20 or 30 blokes together."

The senior players also pledged loyalty to Raiders coach Matt Elliott.

"I can fully reassure you, I'm probably Matty's biggest ally," Schifcofske said.

"He's got the full support of all the players who are there at the moment and three of them leaving are right behind him as well."

"He's turned a lot of us around," O'Hara said. "I'm a thousand times better player than what I was before Matty came along and I'm pretty sure 99 per cent of the other players would agree.

"He's done a great job and we're all behind him."

The Raiders are still trying to cover player losses for next season, with veteran Jason Smith the only addition to next year's roster.

The Raiders have lost five players - Monaghan, Wiki, Davico, Brad Drew and James Evans.

jed

First Grade
The out-clause gives me a ray of hope. I know we all think the roosters are scum, but they have also shown with Hodges that they are prepared to honour verbal agreements.

greeneyed

First Grade
Now, suppose at the end of next season, Joel says he wants to come back. How would we all feel then? Maybe like we over-reacted?

Raider_69

Post Whore
if joel wants to come back i will accept it as him being young and stupid but he has ruined asny hope of him ever being called my favourite player

legend

Coach
All we need to do now is vandalise his car, stalk him etc and he'll want out pretty quick. :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: :lol: :lol:
i recon ther SGB go to all of his games dressed as chook fans and bag him untill he wants out :twisted: