What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monaghan to find new club for 2008

Disco

Bench
Before you ask for a link.............no i dont have one, but apparently this is from this weeks RLW, if anyone has it can they please confirm

Premiership frontrunners Manly have made the shock decision to release Michael Monaghan from the final year of his contract to allow the star utility to fulfill his dream of playing halfback.

Monaghan has been given a three week "window" to find a club for 2008, with several teams already showing interest.

"I would love to stay at Manly but the reality is they have a good halfback and good hooker in Mat Ballin, both on longer contracts than I am" Monaghan said.

"I believe I'm a better half than hooker and that is where my future lies."

"There are a few clubs looking for a half for next season. But if I can't come to terms with one of then I'll stay at Manly and be happy to do so."

Part of article in current Rugby League Week

Disco

Bench
im not sure, but possible clubs may be

Sharks
Newcastle
Tigers
Souths
Broncos (unlikely)

Jono078

Referee
Hmm.. He seems keen on playing half and knows that a few clubs are looking for a 7, wonder if we're one of those..

Disco

Bench
wittyfan said:
Hahahaha, the next player to be treated like sh*t.....
how is he being treated like sh*t?

from my understanding Mona's wants to play half, so Manly are giving him 3 weeks to find another club for 08. Otherwise he stays on

Geez arn't we horrible

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
and witty get over yourself.... just cause your hack of a player halfwitt didn't get a go at manly cause hes was crap doesn't mean monas will get treated like sh*t ....they giving him a chance to 4fill the roll he wants and thats halfback but with a $400.000 player in orford there he wont get that....So good luck to him ... id take him hes a very solid player

btaag

Juniors
It is not Manly's fault for the Monaghan situation - it is Max Delmeges!!!! it was Max who insisted on Monaghan being re-signed for a $200k + deal after Monaghan referred to the Manly club (from memory) as 'Dogs' for not wanting to re-sign him a few years back. Max owns the club, so it is his right to pay the money, but the deal was very inflated, and he has never been worth that amount. It also placed tight salary cap restraints on Manly this season. The Sea Eagles no doubt want Luke Odonnel to replace Kennedy and need the cap space.
Monaghan is a solid player and has filled-in admirably for Orford this season, but he needs to leave. Manly are being kind in a way, but it cuts both ways - if Monaghan leaves, Manly can sign more players.

PS - Michael Witt left Manly because Burns was a better 6 than him and Orford AND Monaghan was a better 7.

PPS. I HATE Manly, yet am defending them (never thought I would do that).

wittyfan

Referee
btaag said:
PS - Michael Witt left Manly because Burns was a better 6 than him and Orford AND Monaghan was a better 7.

Bzzzzt. The correct answer is club politics.

Disco

Bench
Look, its a win win situation

Manly have a heap of depth in the halves and offloading Mona's (on 240k) will ensure we keep Ballin, Burns and Groom, it also gives us a little extra to throw at LOD

For Monas, well it gives him the chance to play halfback, where at Manly he could very well find himself playing off the bench

t-ba

Post Whore
I wish Monaghan every success. But if it came to a choice between him or someone like Groom, Ballin or Burns, those three win every time.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Balmain Bug said:
Top player. Better than Orford. I'll take him anyday.
Big call buddy, they had about the same amount of try assists last week despite Orford playing 1 game and Monas 5.

He is a good utility and i would compare him to someone like Lincoln Withers - will never lead a team to a premiership.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Good luck to him he should have left when Manly signed Cronk... If he keeps his form for his new team he COULD be the next NSW half