What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - stay or go?

firechild

First Grade
Monday night can be great for all if they schedule it properly:

NO SYDNEY TEAM v SYDNEY TEAM for Monday night football. Ever.
Don't care how good the game is, these games need to be quarantined to Friday, Sat and Sunday.

Monday nights should be a Sydney Team v Regional Team.

Fox will love it because there will be interest in Sydney and in one of the Regions.
Sydney clubs won't mind it because the games against the regional teams are generally their lower crowd games.

Everybody happy

Agree. Manly's most long standing rivalry is vs Parra and for the 3rd consecutive season this game has been scheduled for a Monday night. That's a huge loss in gate takings for whoever's home game it is. Fortunately this yeat the schedule had to be ammended and the game got shifted to Saturday.

ByRd

First Grade
7:30pm Friday

5:30 pm Saturday
7:30 pm Saturday

2:00pm Sunday
4:00pm Sunday
7:00pm Sunday

7:00pm Monday

Perfect.

You've only got 7 games lol but i agree with the times, the other game can stay on Friday or be on Sunday afternoon also. Sunday night footy is a must imo.

flippikat

Bench
From a Kiwi point of view, I'm not a fan of Sunday or Monday night games .

With a 7pm kickoff in Sydney, with the time difference the game finishes close to 11pm here.

I know it's a tiny market compared to Australia, but consideration surely needs to be given to make sure these Sun night & Mon night slots are shared evenly so kiwi fans of each team get a fair go.

BDR

First Grade
Can you imagine a Thursday night game at a ground like AAMI Park or DFS? It would be an absolute ghost town. Other clubs wouldn't fare much better. Stick to the 4 day schedule, personally I think it's fine now. Sunday night doesn't add much in my opinion unless it's FTA

undertaker

Coach
Can you imagine a Thursday night game at a ground like AAMI Park or DFS? It would be an absolute ghost town. Other clubs wouldn't fare much better. Stick to the 4 day schedule, personally I think it's fine now. Sunday night doesn't add much in my opinion unless it's FTA

I could only see Thursday night football working as a season opener or the day before Good Friday, but not as a regular fixture.

I'm happy for MNF to stay from next year onwards on the condition that clubs are adequately compensated for loss attendances. $50,000 or so per match that David Gallop is giving to the home team simply isn't enough.

Tigers1986

Juniors
It's feasible IF they coincide it with an NRL team taking the game 'bush' so the gate that you'd sacrifice at the home venue isn't as damaging. Heck the 6pm Friday is an absolute nightmare in Sydney and such a woeful timeslot. 7pm up in Dubbo, out Wagga, out Tamworth etc and you get yourself a healthy 10-11K with the atmosphere that the TV networks love.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's feasible IF they coincide it with an NRL team taking the game 'bush' so the gate that you'd sacrifice at the home venue isn't as damaging. Heck the 6pm Friday is an absolute nightmare in Sydney and such a woeful timeslot. 7pm up in Dubbo, out Wagga, out Tamworth etc and you get yourself a healthy 10-11K with the atmosphere that the TV networks love.
There's 24 monday night games though and only a handfull of regional areas willing to pay NRL clubs to take games to them.

some11

Referee
What's worse?

Friday 6pm (5pm QLD time during DST) or Mondays?

Both terrible for fans going to the game, iirc Monday fox games rated fairly well since it was the only sport on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's worse?

Friday 6pm (5pm QLD time during DST) or Mondays?

Both terrible for fans going to the game, iirc Monday fox games rated fairly well since it was the only sport on.
wont be an or, it will be an AND. alas we already have two time slots shthouse for attending, the last thing we need is a third!

Only way it works if the TV stations pay massively overs for it and the NRL pays the clubs to throw open the gates for free, even then Panthers allegedly give out thousands of free tickets a game and that doesnt seem to make much difference to their attendance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally forgot we have to fit another game in pretty soon.
Ideally we'd go to 3 Sunday games (with Perth covering the late Sunday game every home game) but as Tv gets what TV wants its more than likely going to be Monday night. Mind you we are little more than a tv and gambling product these days so I suppose it doesn't matter.

It would be good if the ARLC sold the broadcast rights for games by timeslot instead of bundling them altogether. It's the only way to get maximum money for high rating slots like Monday night.

If you brought back Monday night football, meaning games played on Thursday thru to Monday, it would see a dramatic increase in teams having 5 day (or less) turn around between games. When you consider how some teams seem to get a greater proportion of games on the same day and same time (e.g. Broncos) do we really want to go backwards to teams so favoured getting 7 day turn around more often than not, whilst many others get multiple 5 day or less turn around between games?

Sorry but bringing back Monday night football would be just plain dumb in my book. It would create greater disparity between teams in recuperation/prepration time between games, whilst be harmful at the gate for the home teams due to lower crowds. Its just not worth it.

Latest posts