What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More news on Matt Gidley

Serc

First Grade
Stone said Newcastle's salary cap was ''getting pretty tight at the moment'' but he still hoped to sign another ''one or two'' more players.
One of those is likely to be 35-year-old Adam MacDougall, whose manager has been negotiating with the Knights for a deal next season.
''He's very keen to stay here, we're very keen to have him, so I expect we'll come to some conclusion,'' Burraston said.
If MacDougall were retained, Stone indicated it was unlikely the Knights would continue talks with another veteran centre, Matt Gidley, who has been with St Helens for the past four seasons.
''I'd suggest it wouldn't be a probability of having them both in the same place at the same time,'' Stone said. ''I'm not saying it would be out of the question, but I'd say it would be doubtful.'
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ut-wicks-remains-on-outer-20100910-1553p.html

roopy

Referee
If he just wants pin money to play, we would be fools to pass on him.

If he wants something similar to the contracts he has played his whole career on - pass.

perverse

Referee
looks like we may have to re-purpose Sau... at least in the short term. i would have preferred only 1 of Doogs or Mids personally. as roopy said above, hopefully it's for peanuts.

Likiliki and P. Mata'utia must be feeling like first grade is slipping further and further away.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Put Sau on the bench and have Gidley in the centres. A part of me would love to see him here and I am confident it will help improve the home ground attendances at EAS.

Serc

First Grade
What I got out of it was that while 'officially' anything is possible at this stage...he made more concrete comments about helping out with the coaching, rather than playing.

But with Doogs, Sau and Likiliki on our books (and given the comments about coaching) I would definitely not have my money on him playing next year.

Certainly what we're going to do with the the Cross money is an interesting factor though...

I am sorry but we are already overstocked at this stage in the Centres and if we want to royally piss off liliki then throw another obstacle in front of him.

Its bad enough 1 old man in the team but another one comming back from England is just crazy IMO.

roopy

Referee
He has played in all our best sides.
He has played in 5 grandfinals with 1 for us and 4 in England.
He has played in World cups, SOO, even Kangaroo tours.
I've heard he has kept in touch with our captain.
He has not only kept up his skills in setting up tries in the UK, but has become a big try scorer himself.

But the real killer is that he is the perfect centre to play inside Uate. Uate would improve out of sight if he had a year outside Gidley - and probably score 30 for the season. Even in the UK, every winger who plays outside Gidley scores close to a try a game.

Hello to all you Aussie fans. As you can see by my username I have had the priviledge of watching Gidley for the past 4 yrs. However he has had a very poor last couple of seasons for us and is a million miles away from what he was.

He was superb for us for the first 2 yrs and I am aware of how good he was for you guys, NSW etc but he is finished as a player. He is not good enough for our competition, let alone the superior NRL.

Thanks for the memories Matt, but maybe look at coaching now.

Yosh

Coach
Thanks for the update PSF!

Definately not worth having him on the park but definately around the team enviroment would be excellent.

Latest posts