What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Rod

Bench
Toohey just said Ponga is on 1.2 this season but it goes up to 1.5 next year.

I think 1.2 is defensible but 300k is a considerable upgrade when the cap is only going up 150k total next year. No wonder we're scrambling cap wise.

perverse

Referee
Toohey just said Ponga is on 1.2 this season but it goes up to 1.5 next year.

I think 1.2 is defensible but 300k is a considerable upgrade when the cap is only going up 150k total next year. No wonder we're scrambling cap wise.
By the time we get to next year he'll be on 1.7m...

Apey

Staff member
Why would you extend someone who only started having a go when they needed to find a new club?
Are memories really that short in here?

Dude had a good game against the 3rd worst team in the comp missing two of their first choice props.

Rod

Bench
Thats funny, we've been told for two years he's on 1.4M.
I never trusted that 1.4, seemed like a chinese whispers kind of situation and never confirmed by anyone who really knows. I'm more inclined to believe Toohey, seems unlikely he'd throw specific numbers like that out without knowing.

Apey

Staff member
Are we sure he’s not on a back-ended deal that averages out at 1.4mil per year?
I'm sure that's it, but it's not the same thing.

Anyway Toohey stated 1.2M this year and 1.5M for 2025 & 2026. Nothing about 2027. Not sure what he was on last year, it was the first year of the new contract, probably 1.2M as well.

slotmachine

First Grade
I'm sure that's it, but it's not the same thing.

Anyway Toohey stated 1.2M this year and 1.5M for 2025 & 2026. Nothing about 2027. Not sure what he was on last year, it was the first year of the new contract, probably 1.2M as well.

If his deal was 1.2, 1.2, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5 it averages out at 1.4.

So everyone can be right.

Woody90

Juniors
My biggest concern is that our current squad is so bad and yet we’ve still needed to put Ponga on a back-ended contract.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Fingers crossed we can drop some deadwood in the off season, front load some of pongas contract next year, so 2026/27 we can hit the market very hard

Yes, we are about to start a rebuild again and I’ve already written off next year

Apey

Staff member
There are a few inexcusable contracts in the squad. If, and it's a big if, we can rectify those and replace them with players actually performing close to their value, that will help us understand Ponga's value better. It's funny when you think about Manly and DCE being on ~1.2M, but then they also have Tommy Trbo. Who the f**k is our Tommy Trbo? Or our DCE... apparently it's Hastings. It really just defies belief the mess we've got ourselves into.

It's funny when you think about Manly and DCE being on ~1.2M, but then they also have Tommy Trbo. Who the f**k is our Tommy Trbo? Or our DCE... apparently it's Hastings. It really just defies belief the mess we've got ourselves into.
Go through all the top competitive teams - someone has f**ked the Knights cap big time.

Brailey - play maybe 10 good games after his first year on the sidelines, and they up-graded and extended him.

Hetherington - If the reports are true this one defies belief, a fringe first grader.

Hastings - We got Hastings and forward thinking recruitment at the Dolphins got Katoa - say no more.

Dsaf - This one hurts because it's avoidable - only a seriously weak culture would have allowed him phone it in without any repercussions. On the back of a good season the Knights extended him for half a decade.

Elliot - Mr Below Average. Offers no value for the money. Would not feature on the team sheet of a club challenging for the title.

KPP - If reports are true the kid is on elite blue chip coin, and will take the duration of his contract to develop to even look close to being worth it.

Pryce - as above , reports he's on decent coin. Will not be worth it for the duration of his contract.

Given the state of our spine the above is insanity

perverse

Referee
Go through all the top competitive teams - someone has f**ked the Knights cap big time.

Brailey - play maybe 10 good games after his first year on the sidelines, and they up-graded and extended him.

Hetherington - If the reports are true this one defies belief, a fringe first grader.

Hastings - We got Hastings and forward thinking recruitment at the Dolphins got Katoa - say no more.

Dsaf - This one hurts because it's avoidable - only a seriously weak culture would have allowed him phone it in without any repercussions. On the back of a good season the Knights extended him for half a decade.

Elliot - Mr Below Average. Offers no value for the money. Would not feature on the team sheet of a club challenging for the title.

KPP - If reports are true the kid is on elite blue chip coin, and will take the duration of his contract to develop to even look close to being worth it.

Pryce - as above , reports he's on decent coin. Will not be worth it for the duration of his contract.

Given the state of our spine the above is insanity
Yep for the most part. Elliott is the least egregious of them, he has his moments. I haven't given up on KPP but he is not looking like good value, and wouldnt get what we're paying him next year on the open NRL market.

The rest are mind boggling, and people worry about nitpicking Kalyn's contract. Hastings is the worst of it for mine, $800k is staggering for a guy the Tigers were trying to make into a lock. I've said it before, but we sign blokes to contract values that are how much we "hope to get out of them" - not based in actual reality of the player that they are when we sign them.

We wanted Hastings to be the halfback he promised to be as a junior, not the one that the Tigers were happy to move on. So we paid him pretty much elite halfback money in some weird hope that he'd... grow into his contract?

Woody90

Juniors
Yep for the most part. Elliott is the least egregious of them, he has his moments. I haven't given up on KPP but he is not looking like good value, and wouldnt get what we're paying him next year on the open NRL market.

The rest are mind boggling, and people worry about nitpicking Kalyn's contract. Hastings is the worst of it for mine, $800k is staggering for a guy the Tigers were trying to make into a lock.

Hastings was mostly about us trying to get rid of Klemmer on a trade. I suspect we’ve overpaid for Hastings as Tigers have overpaid for Klemmer as both clubs were desperate to move them on due to personal reasons. Klemmer was literally having heated arguments with the trainer - I actually don’t have an issue with the club overpaying for our part of the trade to get him out as soon as we could.

Latest posts