What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More pain for Nikau

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/sundaystartimes/0,2106,3569703a6442,00.html

More pain for Nikau

12 February 2006

Tragedy-struck league legend Tawera Nikau has once again suffered a personal loss, with his father, Barry, dying suddenly of internal bleeding.

Nikau and his children rushed from their Huntly home to Middlemore Hospital on February 5 to say their last goodbyes to the 63-year-old, who had followed his son's stellar league career around the world.

Nikau's brother, Gerald, said their father collapsed at his East Tamaki, Auckland home at about 6pm. "The ambulance came and stayed with him for about 45 minutes. He was fine, he was coherent, in good spirits and laughing. He said `don't worry, I'm fine'."

Gerald Nikau said his father was taken to Middlemore for a check-up and his condition deteriorated rapidly.

He said his father's blood pressure kept dropping but he was not given a scan until about three-and-a-half hours later, by which time internal bleeding in his stomach was so bad there was nothing that could be done as surgery would have been too dangerous.

"I think they could have done more earlier," he said.

A hospital spokeswoman, contacted last night, said she did not know about the case and it was too late to get information in time for the newspaper's deadline.

Gerald Nikau said his father was in good health and had no known medical problems. He had run a large trucking firm up until the time of his death.

Former league stars, including Richard Barnett, Clayton Friend and Gary Freeman, and rugby stars Eric Rush and Frano Botica attended the tangi at Rangiriri on Thursday.

In 2001, Tawera Nikau's wife Letitia took her own life in England. In 2003, Nikau lost his right leg below the knee after crashing his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Sharkie™

Juniors
I really feel sorry for the guy, he has had a very tough couple of years and i wish him all the best.

Nullajet

Juniors
How does internal bleeding just occur? I thought some sort of trauma ws required..like an impact or something.

Very very sad......T must be wondering what is going on with his life...poor bloke.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Nullajet said:
How does internal bleeding just occur? I thought some sort of trauma ws required..like an impact or something.

Very very sad......T must be wondering what is going on with his life...poor bloke.

Many ways Nullajet.

Masses and tumours can burst. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms burst. Things can twist and turn spontaneously and simply burst. Ulcers..

The list is endless.

My bet would be a AAA.

Inferno

Coach
Poor guy, hard to imagine things getting much worse for him.

Hope his luck turns a corner.