What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More profitable to play out of Telstra

Ilya

Juniors
I read yesterday (i forget where) about the economics of playing at Telstra Stadium. Basically they summarized the reasons for a move out of leichardt. Turns out it'll be a lot more expensive than the two million dollars to "stop the rot" to make the ground even slightly profitable. They have to hire a video screen (10 000 a game), and lights for night games (20 000 for fox sports, 30 000 for channel nine). They have to hire the stadium out, and pay all the staff. All in all, even after that 20 000 strong attendance against souths, the profit was only 45 000 dollars.

Telstra stadium is offering to PAY 75 000 dollars for any games played out of Telstra, with the stadium fielding all costs, and collecting gate receipts (even if they don't make money from gate takings, they want more games to keep sponsors happy). So, in potential profits, playing at leichardt for big games during the day costs the Tigers 30 grand, big games at night cost 65 000, small games at night or day cost 75 000+.

yakstorm

First Grade
Telstra is acctually not a bad move for the Wests Tigers (provided a handful of boutique games are still played at Leichardt and Campbelltown) for the simple reason that demographically, Telstra is in the easiest place for fans to get to, with the most of the Balmain and Wests fans being scattered around the suburbs in Sydney.

If matches are promoted well enough I can see Wests Tigers averaging upward to 18K.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I can understand it through a financial viewpoint. But they can't seem to lose at Leichardt...hopefully when the club is more financially secure (not knowing the WTs current state of $$$) they could move back permanently.

Or they could make like Kograh and only play there on Sundays.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
The only problem with Telstra is you need to have a crowd of 30K plus to have aby type of atmosphere. How many regular season games get 30K. Not even the block buster Roosters V bulldogs and Bulldogs V Parra got those crowds.

The Business

Juniors
Although I'm not a Tigers fan I do go to a few games with a mate that supports them. I think it's a great ground to watch footy and the atmosphere is great.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
The only problem with Telstra is you need to have a crowd of 30K plus to have aby type of atmosphere. How many regular season games get 30K. Not even the block buster Roosters V bulldogs and Bulldogs V Parra got those crowds.

Its because of the Bulldogs crowd behaviour which is concerning other away fans like the roosters who rejected to go to the blockbuster game in rd 13 because they fear the lebanese bulldogs supporters will attack them like rd 3.

As for the Wests Tiggers at Telstra, they could bring in 25,000-30,000 at their bockbuster games like Penrith, Roosters, Brisbane and Bulldogs! I believe its a very smart move by the tiggers management.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Take games away from Campbelltown. Leichardt needs a decent amount of gams, say 5 because it's a great ground and I love watching the footy there. On the other hand Campbelltown is a shocker for drawing a crowd and the record there is poor.

DIEHARD

----
Surely it doesn't cost that much to buy a video screen and install lights. Just hitch a cable to the one at ANZ and start driving away.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
ozzy_ozman said:
Tidus_Raider said:

Its because of the Bulldogs crowd behaviour which is concerning other away fans like the roosters who rejected to go to the blockbuster game in rd 13 because they fear the lebanese bulldogs supporters will attack them like rd 3.

As for the Wests Tiggers at Telstra, they could bring in 25,000-30,000 at their bockbuster games like Penrith, Roosters, Brisbane and Bulldogs! I believe its a very smart move by the tiggers management.

Ilya

Juniors
Diehard said:
Surely it doesn't cost that much to buy a video screen and install lights.

It costs a whole lot more than what the Tigers can afford, even more so for lighting. The cost goes into the millions, however it's not the tigers that own the stadium. The stadium is owned by the council, so "stop the rot" wouldn't stop at the proposed two million if they really wanted to turn it into a proper, tv broadcast standard stadium.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:

It's not about atmosphere - it's about making enough money to keep the team going.

$$$$

The reason the Bulldogs have been takeing games to Wellington.

The reason the Roosters and Rabbitohs took their home games vs the Cowboys to the Central Coast.

Clubs need every dollar they can get, even it it means they get less of a crowd for some games.

Tamazoid said:
Take games away from Campbelltown. Leichardt needs a decent amount of gams, say 5 because it's a great ground and I love watching the footy there. On the other hand Campbelltown is a shocker for drawing a crowd and the record there is poor.

But it makes more financial sense not to play there. Rugby League can no longer be a little suburban game if we want it to survive. It is dead set staggering to see people wanting to still play at Leichhardt Oval in 2005 and beyond. The Tigers have probably realised that whilst Leichhardt is a great ground and evokes passion and the Tigers fans love it, it is in there best interests for long term not to play there and use Campbelltown as a growth area and play blockbusters at Telstra. Just remember 19,000 at Leichhardt could be 28,000 to 30,000 at Telstra. With the great histories and traditions of Balmain and Wests there management has probably realised that they can aim higher than they have in respect to how big there club can be.

JK

ozzy_ozman said:
Tidus_Raider said:

Yeah, and the rooster fans were entirely innocent! :lol:

Wests is Best

Juniors
Ilya said:
Telstra stadium is offering to PAY 75 000 dollars for any games played out of Telstra, with the stadium fielding all costs, and collecting gate receipts (even if they don't make money from gate takings, they want more games to keep sponsors happy).

If the tigers don't take up the offer, my A grade side will :p

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, lets gets some mates together, offer up a game to Telstra Stadium, and split the $75,000 afterwards. :D

We're happy, their sponsors are happy, and Telstra is half privatised and so probably don't care anymore...

mightybears

Bench
a video screen is 10K per match?

if telstra is paying, the tigers board will sell out quick smart and only play souths at leichhardt in future

Grantwhy

Juniors
mightybears said:
a video screen is 10K per match?

I'd believe.

heck - you can go out and buy a tv for more than that :shock:.

Those Video Screens would not be cheap to buy/build or (probably) keep running.