What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Proof that local juniors are obselete

miketyson

Juniors
I see what you are saying melon, but there should be some sort of reward for bringing a player threw 5 or 6 years of lower grades then into first grade , teams should be getting a discount for local juniors this would encourage teams to nuture talent in ther own area rather than just poaching someone elses developed talent

ngap

Juniors
macavity said:
No, I think it is you that has the comprehension problem. While I admit all teams must recruit - it is the poaching of juniors for massive amounts that I have a problem with. When Rooter flegg players are getting more than some fringe-first graders at other clubs, and a club like yours can go undefeted in a junior comp, something has to be done with the system.

Salary cap on ALL grades NOW.

The flow-on to NRL level (in regard to depth) is blatantly unfair on those clubs that do not have a benefactor to pick up the tab. And it would also help clubs to retain their developed players - at the moment, some clubs just throw money at everyone they can.

I will take back the 'greedy whore' comment to an extent - av. rooter Flegg salary = 30k - av. Knights = 8k. You cant blame them for the opportunity to go full-time footy at that age - and hence accelerate their development. However the effects on fairness, not to mention the possible maturity probs caused by 15/16yos moving away from their support network and not having jobs/school....

im not going to defend the Dragons, im dirty on them for taking Ennis (who we desperately wanted to keep...) when they have a huge nursery and Withers...

How are you going to do this Salary Cap when different clubs have different junior teams playing in different comps. Some have no junior teams as they all play for other clubs. It sounds good but is unworkable.

melon.... said:
I wrote a 7s article a while back about how the Local Junior is no longer relevant to the local senior club for that junior.

It is perfectly highlighted this week by the announcement that Saint George Illawarra have just sign William Tupou, (relax...not Anthony) from teh Roosters. With a catchment area of juniors that extends to Dapto, why on earth does a club like St.George Ill, need to purchase from outside its local junior boundaries? Next thing they'll be asking for junior concessions.

Not a crticism of Saints, as EVERYONE does it. But it highlights that juniors are headed to become feed for the Franchises, and that local areas are now defunct in terms of home grown talent. I dont mind it personally because every club should do its best to secure what it considers to be the best interest for themselves. They are franchises after all and all good businesses look after themselves first.

Good luck at Saints kid, and Saints can hope he turns out to be another Anthony....proivided the right coach gets his hands on him.

macavity said:
Tupou was a Knights junior

:lol: :lol:

Idiot.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
If it is at all possible, it is better for the game that good quality players stay in their catchment area. Obviously it very hard to determine who are going to be elite players at an early age.

It is also good for the game to not be smothered with clubs in a small geographical area. But of course nobody is going to be jumping to change that.

And btw, why can't every thread be a Rooster bash? :p How many of that Roosters Flegg side have been grabbed back so far? :D

melon....

Coach
Daithi O'Conaill said:
melon.... said:
I wrote a 7s article a while back about how the Local Junior is no longer relevant to the local senior club for that junior.

It is perfectly highlighted this week by the announcement that Saint George Illawarra have just sign William Tupou, (relax...not Anthony) from teh Roosters. With a catchment area of juniors that extends to Dapto, why on earth does a club like St.George Ill, need to purchase from outside its local junior boundaries? Next thing they'll be asking for junior concessions.

Not a crticism of Saints, as EVERYONE does it. But it highlights that juniors are headed to become feed for the Franchises, and that local areas are now defunct in terms of home grown talent. I dont mind it personally because every club should do its best to secure what it considers to be the best interest for themselves. They are franchises after all and all good businesses look after themselves first.

Good luck at Saints kid, and Saints can hope he turns out to be another Anthony....proivided the right coach gets his hands on him.

macavity said:
Tupou was a Knights junior

:lol: :lol:

Idiot.
Why moron? I knew he was a Knights junior, and now the morons at The Socks will claim him as one of their own after 3 rounds. Where are all your "local" juniors? 200km away in Nowra.....propping up your dead club.

Enjoy Mad September fool...

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Juniors will always make up the Base amount of players at any one club except easts. The juniors then are developed and other players are brought to compliment their skills and to strengthen the team. Thats how its worked for nearlly 100 years. Juniors is far from obsolete.

The Business

Juniors
MOON MAN said:
Yeh agreed. Its professional footy, who cares where everyone picks up players from?
That's exactly what it is these days. Unfortunately many are still caught in a time warp.

melon....

Coach
Dragon Fanatic said:
Juniors will always make up the Base amount of players at any one club except easts. The juniors then are developed and other players are brought to compliment their skills and to strengthen the team. Thats how its worked for nearlly 100 years. Juniors is far from obsolete.
Read it again. I said LOCAL Juniors are obsolete. Local Juniors will be around to feed whom ever needs them, not just their parent clubs.

Booyah

Bench
LOCAL Juniors are obsolete

Have to disagree there. Souths will ALWAYS have loacl kids coming through the ranks. Particularly now that the Juniors are running the show. I think you'll see a lot more Local kids make the grade at Souths now, rather then chase the big bucks at other clubs.

lazza

Juniors
Dragon Fanatic said:

How's this for a scenario.... dragons have a young hot shot 5/8th coming thru the ranks... but cant get into first grade since he has an australian rep in front of him in Trent Barret. What does he do?

stay and wait? or go to another club to play first grade? its silly to think that he would stay if he could earna better living in a relatively short career in league.

And why should a person be branded being owned to a club purely because of where he lived as a child? a bit incestuous if u ask me.

fatshark

Bench
Seems a bit suss that Saints are stacking their 1st division teams a lot now. A lot of fringe first graders and they are in the semis still.hhhmmmm

macavity

Referee
melon.... said:
How about you stop trying to sound intelligent and start acting intelligently....post the Easts lower Grade Salaries....i.e. prove they are all on big bikkies.

Antonius, Roopy - need a hand here! (one of them has the base figures...). They are all on more than at alot of other clubs.... and your attempts to pinch Kade Snowden were disgraceful.....

I suspect you cannot. Again ruled by perception with no facts to back it up...or then again maybe you do have facts..Im waiting.

Does your club open its books? Didn't think so....

Our club is quite open why we lost the likes of Tupou (x2), Ale......
(2 of which would have played FG for us this year).

And it isn't the allure of living in Bondi (or Canberra... :lol: )...

Admit it, you buy so many big-bucks juniors you dont have room for them all....

Southernsaint

Staff member
fatshark said:
Seems a bit suss that Saints are stacking their 1st division teams a lot now. A lot of fringe first graders and they are in the semis still.hhhmmmm

You can thank the massive injury toll over the past few years as the reason why a fair number of the PL side have NRL experience.

How's The Scum's PL side going?? GO THE JETS!!

Melon your bashing your head against a brick wall. These morons will never get it. This whole juniors debate is a load of crap. Who cares where players originally come from. Players know that if they go to the Roosters they are going to advance their careers and that's why Easts is such a desirable club. These young guys know that the Roosters will offer them the best coaches, training techniques and a very stable and successful environment. What's not to like. If I was a young player, I'd swim in shark infested waters if it meant getting a start at a brilliant club like the Roosters. The cretins can attack Easts as much as they like but at the end of the day it means SFA. :clap:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Melon your bashing your head against a brick wall. These morons will never get it. This whole juniors debate is a load of crap. Who cares where players originally come from. Players know that if they go to the Roosters they are going to advance their careers and that's why Easts is such a desirable club. These young guys know that the Roosters will offer them the best coaches, training techniques and a very stable and successful environment. What's not to like. If I was a young player, I'd swim in shark infested waters if it meant getting a start at a brilliant club like the Roosters. The cretins can attack Easts as much as they like but at the end of the day it means SFA. :clap:

RC, I put it to you that if you were a supporter of a club like Newcastle - rich in local talent but not wealthy, you'd have a vastly differing view.

As I said, I couldn't care less where a player comes from. The fact is that all clubs buy players including the clubs with huge nurseries. At least the Roosters have a bona fide reason to look outside their own area for players. If the powers that be want to give us a fair and equal area for us to build a decent local nursery then great but until that happens it's an uneven playing field. Souths stole Coogee and Randwick from us in the 50's and since then our junior area has been greatly limited. As I said at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

lazza

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

RC, I put it to you that if you were a supporter of a club like Newcastle - rich in local talent but not wealthy, you'd have a vastly differing view.

so just because your born there your expected to play there?

what does newcastle provide to "develop" these kids? - nothing more than any other club.. coaching, facilities, comps etc.

the difference is that the culture of newcastle is that everyone plays league. Majority in the east plays union. thats why they "develop" better kids. they dont do much more than anyone else, especially if they club isnt wealthy.

someone said to try and get the east's private schools to switch from union to league.. well thats as tough as getting newcastle and penrith to switch to AFL, just ludicrous.

lazza

Juniors
macavity said:
Admit it, you buy so many big-bucks juniors you dont have room for them all....

Even if we buy "everybody", you still have to pick the right "everybody"

there's more to picking a squad than just the "best" players.. how many great jnr prospects that you've heard of actually make it to first grade, and even if they make it, how many actually become superstars... roosters have great ability to pick these ppl.

this is what i dont understand, if you have great jnrs, u should have first pick, sign them to something called a contract and dont be tight and pay them what they deserve to be paid.

everyone expects things for free just because the club "developed" them.

Southernsaint

Staff member
lazza said:
Southernsaint said:

what does newcastle provide to "develop" these kids? - nothing more than any other club.. coaching, facilities, comps etc.

the difference is that the culture of newcastle is that everyone plays league. Majority in the east plays union. thats why they "develop" better kids. they dont do much more than anyone else, especially if they club isnt wealthy.

someone said to try and get the east's private schools to switch from union to league.. well thats as tough as getting newcastle and penrith to switch to AFL, just ludicrous.

Lazza,

Congratulations on completely missing my point. For what it's worth, I don't completely disagree with Melon....'s point that juniors from a particular area are not bound to play for that area's NRL team; what I'm saying is that if you were a Newcastle fan & constantly saw your juniors being picked off by other clubs you'd be frustrated & angry & demanding changes to the system...

lazza

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
lazza said:
Southernsaint said:

Lazza,

Congratulations on completely missing my point. For what it's worth, I don't completely disagree with Melon....'s point that juniors from a particular area are not bound to play for that area's NRL team; what I'm saying is that if you were a Newcastle fan & constantly saw your juniors being picked off by other clubs you'd be frustrated & angry & demanding changes to the system...

hello

so why not sign the juniors to a contract? so they cant be picked off?

the only logical reason is cos its risky, there is no guarantee that they will become good first graders.

Latest posts