What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morley charged Grade 3

Balmain_Boy

Is Morley the first suspended? I'm thinking it will be Myles or Faumuina?

Anyway, it seems fair to me. Really was just a very unforunate event. I'm just stoked that Laffranchi, Bryce and O'hara got off.

Iafeta

Referee
Danish said:
There is your answer. Last year there was nothing wrong with Morley's hit. This year, because they have outlawed everything and anything touching the head its illegal.

I don't get you, sorry. Seu Seu was done for a tackle from the shoulder in 2003.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't see the issue with Morleey being charged. Head high tackes are dangerous, period. Whether the the first point of contact is an arm or a shoulder makes very little difference to the end result, if you cop someone hard in the head they'll likely be concussed and risk breaking a jaw, cheekbone or eye socket.
When going in to put a big shot on an opposing player, the onus should be on the tackler to keep the point of initial contact below the head, simple. Morley did not take sufficient care to do this, and consequently knocked Walker out. A low grade suspension (2-3 weeks) is appropriate.
The only time head contact is excusable is when it's a serious case of a player falling/slipping into a tackle (ie the takler took sufficient care but due to the slip the players head was way lower than could have been anticipated) or in the case of an accidental head clash (not many tacklers lead with the head, possible exception of Richard Villisanti, lol)

Chook

First Grade
A grade 3, what a joke. No swinging arm, no raised elbow, no intent.

My prediction, over 500 grade 3 charges this year, or a waning of the rule interpritation.

Chook.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Chook said:
A grade 3, what a joke. No swinging arm, no raised elbow, no intent.

My prediction, over 500 grade 3 charges this year, or a waning of the rule interpritation.

Chook.

Chook, if the point of contact had been his arm, intentional or not, the result (in terms of the injury to Walker) would have been the same. The important factor isn't whether it was Morley's arm or shoulder that led, it is where the first point of contact on Walker was, and it was his head. I don't see any Warriors fans complaining about Faumuina's citing and he did a lot less damage.

The Brain

Juniors
It was educational for the kids the hit.
Morely was simply sending Ben back to his "walkers pit"where his pea heart brother remains buried.

PB

Bench
Razor said:
About right.

The tackle wasn't very bad at all, it's just that Ben Walker got injured. If he didn't get injured we probably wouldn't be talking about it.

What if his jaw had been broken! I bet if Morely made that same tackle on a Marshall, or a Hodgson or a Thurston, he would have broken a jaw, then what?!

Fact is he wasn't looking at the player he was hitting with his shoulder. That is reckless, end of story, IMO.

PB

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
And how was the Morley incident different? That was also an accident. And under the current rules where any contact with the head is illegal, im sure the Kiwi who broke Joey's jaw would have gtten about 6 weeks...

Not really, but such is the stupidity of the rule.

Didn't Joey break his jaw making a tackle? Would have been a tough call on the ball carrier.....

The Colonel

Immortal
Iafeta said:
I don't get you, sorry. Seu Seu was done for a tackle from the shoulder in 2003.

Cayless was done for a tackle with the shoulder on Matt Sing in the same year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
PB said:
Didn't Joey break his jaw making a tackle? Would have been a tough call on the ball carrier.....

Yes, Joey just got his head in the wrong position making a tackle. No way Ropati would be cited if it happened today.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't get you guys who say the Morley tackle was ok. Are you trying to say it's ok if you try to hit someon in the head with your shoulder, but not with your arm? That makes absolutely no sense.

Chook

First Grade
SpaceMonkey said:
I don't get you guys who say the Morley tackle was ok. Are you trying to say it's ok if you try to hit someon in the head with your shoulder, but not with your arm? That makes absolutely no sense.

No what I’m saying is that if the league is going to grade and charge every player that accidentally hits another player in the head with any party of his body , than you will either see 500 players front the judiciary this year or a waning of the rule interpretations.

How do you grade a knee to the head?
How do you grade a hip to the head?
A thigh?
A calf?
A chest?
Another head?

Under this new rule interpretation any initial contact with the attacking players head with any part of your body can result in a charge.

Chook.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Chook said:
No what I’m saying is that if the league is going to grade and charge every player that accidentally hits another player in the head with any party of his body , than you will either see 500 players front the judiciary this year or a waning of the rule interpretations.

How do you grade a knee to the head?
How do you grade a hip to the head?
A thigh?
A calf?
A chest?
Another head?

Under this new rule interpretation any initial contact with the attacking players head with any part of your body can result in a charge.

Chook.

I think it's a case of reasonable care. Morley led with his shoulder and went pretty high. Therefore he's culpable as he didn't take sufficient care not to hit Walker in the head. If he'd gone low and Walker had slipped it would've been a different story.

Chook

First Grade
Nearly every front rower leads with their shoulders, or at the very least stands upright to take an opponent front on, but that is a side issue.

The rule states that any initial contact with the head can result in a charge. It's a pandora's box, that even you now have begun to interperet, you said now it's a case of "reasonable care"? How do you judge/grade reasonable care?

If a bloke hangs his arm out resulting in initial contact with the head, I don't have a problem with them being charged. And no you stupid dog fans, Morley's initial contact was with Cat Utai's shoulder last year, not his fat head. But if a fdefender stands upright to take a runner ball and all or to put a hit on, and through no intent intially contacts the head, then yes, I have a problem with that because you cannot judge/grade/interperet intent.

Chook.

Latest posts