What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moronic Union*tes

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Leauge is going to struggle to increase it’s market share simply because they are not large enough on the international scale and cannot compete with the huge amounts of cash available to union and soccer. And as for AFL, while it will be unlikely to take off internationally it has done an excellent job of building the porfile of the game from the grass roots level and that has had a flow on effect in terms of the number of people watching and playing the game which in turn attracts more money through sponsorship and tv rights e.t.c.
The longer that Leauge fans delude themselves into thinking that their game is in good shape the worse their game will become. Already leauge is losing the battle in NSW primary schools with AFL providing excellent programs in NSW and indeed the rest of the country. The key for a long term future for any sport is getting kids at the grass roots level and this is an area which has long been neglected by both rugby codes it must be said, and with soccer on the rise that battle is only going to get harder.
The simple facts of the matter are that Union is a much bigger game internationally than leauge and therefore has access to more cash, which enables the poaching/recruiting (depending which side of the fence your on) of top line leauge players. When union was still an amatuer sport the defections were the other way around, but the tables have well and truly turned and are now running off into the distance leaving leauge scratching it’s head trying to figure out how they are going to compete to get the market share they want.
The nature of the professional sports these days is one that is money driven and less driven by the love of the sport (or club). Given the number of high profile leauge players defecting to union for the big money this century, it’s safe to assume that more and more players are going to seek out oppurtunities elsewhere. Already rumours are surronding Thurston and Ingliss, perhaps the two biggest stars of the game. Gasnier has already signed up for Union in France next year and Tahu has made his debut for the Wally B’s this year, Brad Thorn the yoyo of the rugby world has gone back to union and the list is only going to get longer. No sport can cope with losing it’s top line players and realistically there is little in the way to stop this player drain that leauge is experiencing.

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/sport/john-townsend-things-not-so-sonny-for-league/?co=1

_Johnsy

Referee
I loved this comment from Drake:

"If I want to watch a true international football sport, I’ll watch soccer. If I want to watch a great game of Rugby, I’ll watch Rugby League. If I want to see fat rich boys gettin’ jiggy, it’s union all the way."

Teddyboy

First Grade
I loved this comment from Drake:

"If I want to watch a true international football sport, I’ll watch soccer. If I want to watch a great game of Rugby, I’ll watch Rugby League. If I want to see fat rich boys gettin’ jiggy, it’s union all the way."

Just watched a DVD of Australian Rugby Union in the 1970's and there was no jiggy more hate filled biff against the likes of Wales and England.

In-goal

Bench
I love the way these unioinites try and talk there sport up, we know in Australia union will only continue to shrink under the weight of the 3 other football codes.

Brycey

Juniors
It's not so much that it is a bigger sport, look at the Top 14...it is a shadow of the French Football, it only gets crowds in 5 figures for finals and its revenue is reliant on the IRB.

The only reason it is rich is because the clubs are privatised and there is no salary cap. If you did the same thing in Australia you could have a roster worth 10-15 million.

Girondin

Juniors
It's not so much that it is a bigger sport, look at the Top 14...it is a shadow of the French Football, it only gets crowds in 5 figures for finals and its revenue is reliant on the IRB.

The only reason it is rich is because the clubs are privatised and there is no salary cap. If you did the same thing in Australia you could have a roster worth 10-15 million.
:D
It works all the time lol. For an outsider like me, it's really funny to see how polarized Aussie sports fans are. It's always "us" vs "them". As if all codes were mutually exclusive and it was impossible to like one without bashing the others. FYI, I'm a fan of both League and Union and even happen to like soccer. What sort of beast is that, you must be thinking...

Also for your information, there are many dual codes fans in France, and it's generally accepted that new league fans will have to be drawn from the union ranks. Which makes union-bashing even more counter-productive.

As for Top 14 the comp is a tremendous success and this is good news for French RL as well as it shows the strong appetite and potential for rugby codes. With a market big enough to accomodate both !

Brycey

Juniors
I don't know what you think "worked", I myself don't mind watching Rugby here and there, and I watch football also. My post was in reply to the initial one spelling doom and gloom for RL in the wake of the percieved giant that is the European rugby comps.

Girondin

Juniors
I don't know what you think "worked", I myself don't mind watching Rugby here and there
Not sure the previous poster was in the same mindset, that's what drove my reply.;-)

Your perception of European rugby's economics is inaccurate but it's what you've been told by the Aussie media so fair enough. Actually rich owners' money accounts for less than 5% of clubs' budgets (and only in a handful of clubs). The business model is very sound. Top 14's attendances, though average by Australian standards, are the highest in Europe for a non-soccer competition and so are the ratings.

As for RL no other club outside Ligue 1 (soccer) and Top 14 get bigger crowds than Les Catalans, which is encouraging.

Loudstrat

Coach
Leauge is going to struggle to increase it’s market share simply because they are not large enough on the international scale and cannot compete with the huge amounts of cash available to union and soccer. And as for AFL, while it will be unlikely to take off internationally it has done an excellent job of building the porfile of the game from the grass roots level and that has had a flow on effect in terms of the number of people watching and playing the game which in turn attracts more money through sponsorship and tv rights e.t.c.
The longer that Leauge fans delude themselves into thinking that their game is in good shape the worse their game will become. Already leauge is losing the battle in NSW primary schools with AFL providing excellent programs in NSW and indeed the rest of the country. The key for a long term future for any sport is getting kids at the grass roots level and this is an area which has long been neglected by both rugby codes it must be said, and with soccer on the rise that battle is only going to get harder.
The simple facts of the matter are that Union is a much bigger game internationally than leauge and therefore has access to more cash, which enables the poaching/recruiting (depending which side of the fence your on) of top line leauge players. When union was still an amatuer sport the defections were the other way around, but the tables have well and truly turned and are now running off into the distance leaving leauge scratching it’s head trying to figure out how they are going to compete to get the market share they want.
The nature of the professional sports these days is one that is money driven and less driven by the love of the sport (or club). Given the number of high profile leauge players defecting to union for the big money this century, it’s safe to assume that more and more players are going to seek out oppurtunities elsewhere. Already rumours are surronding Thurston and Ingliss, perhaps the two biggest stars of the game. Gasnier has already signed up for Union in France next year and Tahu has made his debut for the Wally B’s this year, Brad Thorn the yoyo of the rugby world has gone back to union and the list is only going to get longer. No sport can cope with losing it’s top line players and realistically there is little in the way to stop this player drain that leauge is experiencing.

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/sport/john-townsend-things-not-so-sonny-for-league/?co=1

You nunce. Union is bigger than League internationally - and that equates to about 5-6 Wallabies games a year. How much do they generate from that? About the same in gate to an Origin series, and in TV rights about half. Do you think the $$ from the 6 nations gets sent to OZ?

SBW debuted in front of 3000. And complains that the Dogs in front of 12 000 is part of a dying code. LOL.

Fact: The biggest drawing domestic comps of both codes are the NRL and ESL respectively.

Fact: The highest rating domestic comps of both codes are the NRL and ESL respectively

Fact: The inflation in French yawnion is due to rich frogs owning clubs - their version of PHac, Crowie, Edelstein etc.

Fact: Union has NEVER signed anyone of note - Gasnier poss the exception, but he's on the downhill run in his career. They signed 5 wingers (three returned), a has been fullback in his 30's, an ageing halfback whose biggest claim to fame was lobbing his dick at an Irish tourist, and attempting to urinate on Dawn Fraser (and missed), and a tosser wannabee with serious mental deficiencies. Hardly the end of the world.

Yet they chased, and failed, on Johns, Hindmarsh, Lockyer, Mason, and a host of others.

Fact: Oz Yawnion made $42 million from the last RWC. The NRL makes $500 million annually from just TV rights.

Fact: Yawnion cant even get on FTA. Yanks who worship "Abcruncher" can. 16 fat slobs losing weight can. Reruns of MASH can.

Union is not a threat. Soccer is not a threat. A desperate AFL maybe, but in reality - no. As JFK said, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

And if Yawnion was going to conquer RL, the SL war gave them, AFL and any one else a perfect opportunity. Couldn't even land a punch!

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm so offended by Kalgoorlie's article, i'm going to campaign for Perth to never EVER have an NRL side.

Girondin

Juniors
The article is overly alarmist, no doubt. I also don't think rugby is a threat (for instance there are limitations on the number of foreign players European rugby clubs can sign), but then again I'm of the opinion that the rugby codes are not a threat for one another.

However some statements here are a bit naive. Where did you get your "facts" Loudstrat? :D Seems your vision is a bit "insular". Just a few points out of interest:

SBW debuted in front of 3000. And complains that the Dogs in front of 12 000 is part of a dying code. LOL.
Pre-season friendly, away to a third division club in a small town. Capacity 3000, full-house.

Fact: The biggest drawing domestic comps of both codes are the NRL and Top 14.
Fixed it for you.

Fact: The highest rating domestic comps of both codes are the NRL and Top 14.
Fixed it for you.

Fact: The inflation in French yawnion is due to rich frogs owning clubs - their version of PHac, Crowie, Edelstein etc.
They account for less than 5% of the clubs' budgets.

Fact: Oz Yawnion made $42 million from the last RWC. The NRL makes $500 million annually from just TV rights.
Wow, so why all those complaints they were undersold. lol.

Not overestimating the "threat" is one thing, not being aware of what you're up against is another...

You nunce. Union is bigger than League internationally - and that equates to about 5-6 Wallabies games a year. How much do they generate from that? About the same in gate to an Origin series, and in TV rights about half. Do you think the $$ from the 6 nations gets sent to OZ?

A 3000 sell out, which was a friendly game.

Boring, boring, boring! Who give a sh*t about that frog yawnoin game. It's frken as boring as boring gets. And so is this troll coming in here trying beat it up.

Go suck SBW ya troll

Girondin

Juniors
Boring, boring, boring! Who give a sh*t about that frog yawnoin game. It's frken as boring as boring gets. And so is this troll coming in here trying beat it up.

Go suck SBW ya troll
It's fascinating how quick the word "troll" comes up when you (and a few others) are presented with an unconvenient truth. Actual facts that challenge your certitudes.

It's all the more fascinating as I'm not talking anybody up or down but just taking part in various conversations, which I think is the very concept of a forum.

I agree with you, 100%

I proposed in one thread, which was anything but vindicated (alas i am a criminal aparently on here)...that in order to ever be 'safe' league would need to rise to the level of expectation of payment in the wider sporting market. And that as its aparent the powers that be are 'freezing' leagues financial power in order to get stabilization, if we want to move forward then they will need to radically 'unfreeze' the situation very soon. So if rugby can afford to pay its players 1m per season, then league should stive to get that too, and it should have that ability as soon as possible.

League has a choice. If it wants to be a top line sport, and still be in the hunt for premier status, it needs to match it with the big boys always. Or it can decide it doesnt want to run that race, and go to being a low-paid competition or even eventually drop back to amateur/semi-pro.

If it choses to run it with the big boys still, it needs to get a structure in place thats going to let it do that. It will need the short term plan, and the long term plan. It will need the salary cap virtually doubled over a 5 year period AND It will need to address the third party payments system so the current cap is scrapped and it becomes a "total club payment" cap - which is much larger than the per player one combined. It will need clubs capable of meeting the financial requirements. And it will need a new admin to make decisions. Clubs may need to move/merge. New stadia or stadium improvements will need to come into being in order to maximize corporate hospitality (an important ingredient in modern sport often overlooked by league clubs) and of course members.

League needs to make this happen as fast as possible without erroding the foundations it already has. But with a learn towards fast.

People will have to become accustomed with fast paced change...because it means life.

If it doesn't....mark my words: league will die....it will be swollowed, and you will have no choice but to watch Union, or start your own backyard league comp....or even watch Super League in Europe.

This swollowing or dying may take a couple of decades, but the time is now to do something about it: don't slip behind.

The one thing league needs to address right now is the amount of money being paid to its players....it stands at something like 28% which is down from 40%? of total RL income....so league needs to lift this by at least 10% a year until its up to 48%.

It's fascinating how quick the word "troll" comes up when you (and a few others) are presented with an unconvenient truth. Actual facts that challenge your certitudes.

It's all the more fascinating as I'm not talking anybody up or down but just taking part in various conversations, which I think is the very concept of a forum.

My comments have nothing to do with truths or untruths of your posts troll boy. I just find you dumb, boring, uninteresting, annoying, pathetic, inept and repugnant.

Nothing personal of course

I agree with you, 100%

I proposed in one thread, which was anything but vindicated (alas i am a criminal aparently on here)...that in order to ever be 'safe' league would need to rise to the level of expectation of payment in the wider sporting market. And that as its aparent the powers that be are 'freezing' leagues financial power in order to get stabilization, if we want to move forward then they will need to radically 'unfreeze' the situation very soon. So if rugby can afford to pay its players 1m per season, then league should stive to get that too, and it should have that ability as soon as possible.

League has a choice. If it wants to be a top line sport, and still be in the hunt for premier status, it needs to match it with the big boys always. Or it can decide it doesnt want to run that race, and go to being a low-paid competition or even eventually drop back to amateur/semi-pro.

If it choses to run it with the big boys still, it needs to get a structure in place thats going to let it do that. It will need the short term plan, and the long term plan. It will need the salary cap virtually doubled over a 5 year period AND It will need to address the third party payments system so the current cap is scrapped and it becomes a "total club payment" cap - which is much larger than the per player one combined. It will need clubs capable of meeting the financial requirements. And it will need a new admin to make decisions. Clubs may need to move/merge. New stadia or stadium improvements will need to come into being in order to maximize corporate hospitality (an important ingredient in modern sport often overlooked by league clubs) and of course members.

League needs to make this happen as fast as possible without erroding the foundations it already has. But with a learn towards fast.

People will have to become accustomed with fast paced change...because it means life.

If it doesn't....mark my words: league will die....it will be swollowed, and you will have no choice but to watch Union, or start your own backyard league comp....or even watch Super League in Europe.

This swollowing or dying may take a couple of decades, but the time is now to do something about it: don't slip behind.

The one thing league needs to address right now is the amount of money being paid to its players....it stands at something like 28% which is down from 40%? of total RL income....so league needs to lift this by at least 10% a year until its up to 48%.

Oh Hi Gus, your back! Nice to see you again

Latest posts