What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moronic Union*tes

pcpp

Juniors
The moron spelt "league" - "leauge" every single time in his post. How can anyone take him seriously is beyond me.

Calixte

First Grade
:D
It works all the time lol. For an outsider like me, it's really funny to see how polarized Aussie sports fans are. It's always "us" vs "them". As if all codes were mutually exclusive and it was impossible to like one without bashing the others. FYI, I'm a fan of both League and Union and even happen to like soccer. What sort of beast is that, you must be thinking...

Also for your information, there are many dual codes fans in France, and it's generally accepted that new league fans will have to be drawn from the union ranks. Which makes union-bashing even more counter-productive.

As for Top 14 the comp is a tremendous success and this is good news for French RL as well as it shows the strong appetite and potential for rugby codes. With a market big enough to accomodate both !

Unfortunately, if you are French, which is doubtful at best, you should know the attitude of the likes of Ferasse are more in keeping with union's attitude to TGG in France.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's fascinating how quick the word "troll" comes up when you (and a few others) are presented with an unconvenient truth. Actual facts that challenge your certitudes.

I'd like to see you prove every 'actual fact' you've posted in this thread with non-biased sources.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
:D
It works all the time lol. For an outsider like me, it's really funny to see how polarized Aussie sports fans are. It's always "us" vs "them". As if all codes were mutually exclusive and it was impossible to like one without bashing the others. FYI, I'm a fan of both League and Union and even happen to like soccer. What sort of beast is that, you must be thinking...

Also for your information, there are many dual codes fans in France, and it's generally accepted that new league fans will have to be drawn from the union ranks. Which makes union-bashing even more counter-productive.

As for Top 14 the comp is a tremendous success and this is good news for French RL as well as it shows the strong appetite and potential for rugby codes. With a market big enough to accomodate both !

Here Here. But you know having a positive opinion on these forums might get you labelled as a troll.

The Clan

Juniors
Not sure the previous poster was in the same mindset, that's what drove my reply.;-)

Your perception of European rugby's economics is inaccurate but it's what you've been told by the Aussie media so fair enough. Actually rich owners' money accounts for less than 5% of clubs' budgets (and only in a handful of clubs). The business model is very sound. Top 14's attendances, though average by Australian standards, are the highest in Europe for a non-soccer competition and so are the ratings.

As for RL no other club outside Ligue 1 (soccer) and Top 14 get bigger crowds than Les Catalans, which is encouraging.

How do you account for the Super League's higher average attendance figures and Leeds Rhino's being the highest attended Rugby club (League or Union) in Europe?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Would you like all the dictionary definitions or would you prefer to just accept the label and wear it like a badge of honour?

Ok, a geniused badge but still a nice shiny badge...

So if someone happens to disagree with you, like ANY other sport as well as league and think the RL has no problems currently ( as do others mind you) then that defines you a a troll right?

So if someone happens to disagree with you, like ANY other sport as well as league and think the RL has no problems currently ( as do others mind you) then that defines you a a troll right?

No, you're a troll because, well, and this is the biggie, you're a troll.

You're more than welcome to think you're not.

Loudstrat

Coach
OK, Top 14 gets more crowds than ESL. I'll give you that. Given that Top 14 is a national comp, played in bigger cities than Hull, Wigan, St Helens etc, we'll call it a pyrrhic victory for the Volvo drivers.

Then, check this. League figures in blue. Yawnion in Black. And, as a comparison, Live Darts in Green I assume the League game on Sky Sports 2 was Chasllenge Cup tie between lower div sides - hence they didn't call it "Live Super League"
Sky Sports 1 Individuals 4+ Viewing (Including Timeshift) - w/e
06/04/2008
Programme 000's
1 LIVE FA CUP FOOTBALL (Sun 1532) 1570
2 FORD SUPER SUNDAY (Sun 1300) 1407
3 LIVE FORD FOOTBALL SPECIAL-MATCH (Sat 1200) 998
4 GILLETTE SOCCER SATURDAY (Sat 1500) 524
5 LIVE SUPER LEAGUE (Sat 1755) 331
6 SOCCER AM (Sat 0900) 243
7 LIVE PREMIER LEAGUE DARTS (Thu 1930) 236
8 LIVE SPEEDWAY (Mon 1930) 205
9 GOALS ON SUNDAY (Sun 1100) 204
10 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WEEKLY (Sun 1830) 182
Sky Sports 2 Individuals 4+ Viewing (Including Timeshift) - w/e
06/04/2008
Programme 000's
1 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LIVE (Wed 1900) 1676
2 LIVE EUROPEAN RUGBY (Sat 1653) 207
3 LIVE EUROPEAN RUGBY (Sun 1200) 179
4 LIVE EUROPEAN RUGBY (Sun 1422) 135

5 YOU'RE ON SKY SPORTS (Wed 2230) 130
6 LIVE EUROPEAN RUGBY (Sat 1430) 126
7 SPANISH FOOTBALL (Sun 1958) 103
8 LIVE EUROPEAN RUGBY (Sat 1935) 82
9 SPANISH FOOTBALL (Sun 1757) 66
10 LIVE RUGBY LEAGUE (Thu 1929) 60
Another thing -the record Top 14 crowd for a GF is around 75k - plonk in the middle of it's heartland. Challenge Cup crowds at Wembly always topped 90k. Most making a 5-6 hr trip to see it.

Union's biggest threat is obviously Live Darts in the UK. Darts, ffs! Maybe there's competition for Yawnion in the fat slob watching market - with Darts players offering the more physical option.

Darts! :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Girondin

Juniors
OK, Top 14 gets more crowds than ESL. I'll give you that. Given that Top 14 is a national comp, played in bigger cities than Hull, Wigan, St Helens etc, we'll call it a pyrrhic victory for the Volvo drivers.
Surely you're aware that Top 14 is the French comp, while GP is the English one???

I'm not commenting on union in the UK (which is in rude health), I know Superleague outrates it (though TV rights are higher for the GP).
I'm commenting on the fact that the worst rating Top 14 games get more viewers than the biggest Superleague games. The average audience in Top 14 is 548,000, on Pay TV as well.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I watch both comps. The thing is rugby (and this includes league) is number 1 in the south of France, while Superleague is still far behind soccer in its heartland. Surely over the next few years Superleague will be able to increase its audience.

As for Leeds being the biggest drawing club in Europe as someone said, SF and Toulouse in the Top 14 get 24k and 20k averages respectively.

Last edited:

Cheezel

Juniors
Surely you're aware that Top 14 is the French comp, while GP is the English one???

I'm not commenting on union in the UK (which is in rude health), I know Superleague outrates it (though TV rights are higher for the GP).
I'm commenting on the fact that the worst rating Top 14 games get more viewers than the biggest Superleague games. The average audience in Top 14 is 548,000, on Pay TV as well.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I watch both comps. The thing is rugby (and this includes league) is number 1 in the south of France, while Superleague is still far behind soccer in its heartland. Surely over the next few years Superleague will be able to increase its audience.

As for Leeds being the biggest drawing club in Europe as someone said, SF and Toulouse in the Top 14 get 24k and 20k averages respectively.

:lol: Union that gets played in europe and is the so called World game :lol: gets outrated by the NRL which is played in a Country with a small population. It just gets worse for Yawnion!

I love how people come on here and talk yawnion up all the time. They should go to a yawnion thread but....they will of course fall asleep because talking about Kick and Clap is like talking about the weather. :lol:

Is their a site we can check to see what the Yawnion crowds are like?

The only thing Yawnion has going for it is the international game and even that lately leave alot to be desired. :shock:

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Then explain this comment - yes, from a blog, but quotes the source:

n France, Canal +, the television channel that covers the Top 14 club competition, revealed that of the 200,000 viewers who had initially switched on to watch the Toulouse v Biarritz match - a match between two of France's flagship clubs - nearly half of them switched off at half-time.

http://www.austadiums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58517

If I were you, I'd be worried that SBW isn't poached by a darts club :lol::lol:

Girondin

Juniors
n France, Canal +, the television channel that covers the Top 14 club competition, revealed that of the 200,000 viewers who had initially switched on to watch the Toulouse v Biarritz match - a match between two of France's flagship clubs - nearly half of them switched off at half-time.
Unfortunately, I happen to have a good memory ;-)
The facts: 200,000 viewers switched off at half-time, the game was 1-sided with Biarritz sending a depleted squad. Audience at kick-off was 700k+.
Union that gets played in europe and is the so called World game :lol: gets outrated by the NRL which is played in a Country with a small population. It just gets worse for Yawnion!
Now, realizing that Superleague is left behind by Top 14 you're calling the NRL to the rescue :D Funny how insecure you guys are. Why not recognise that there can be several healthy competitions in this world?

Btw if I were you I wouldn't be so sure of the "superiority of the NRL" in terms of ratings. Out of interest, how many watched the NRL GF? Top 14 got 4.2 million. Once again I'm not having a go at the NRL, just giving you a bit of perspective - which your media don't.

But yeah, keep ignoring the economics behind SBW, Gasnier, and many All Blacks' arrival in Europe. It must be those sugar daddies....

Loudstrat

Coach
Girondin, read the post again. Audience kick off was 200k, not 700k.

And half the audience was lost at half time. Not even the most lopsided Leagfue game loses half it's audience, unless the League viewers suddenly see a line out!

Secondly, that comment " Union that gets played in europe.." wasn't mine f**ktard.

NRL GF - 3.8 million from 21 million pop. Not including viewers through TV1 in NZ, Sky in UK, Fox in the US, Star in Asia.....Rough est 50-100 million.

Fat 14: 4.2 million out of 64 million. Equals 1.4 million per 21 million - and no global exposure. Slightly less than Darts, I guess :lol:

Latest posts