What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

BLM01

First Grade
well as he is picked for the tigers this week I hope Hook and co turn their attention to a different prospective 14 for next year . surely we can get somebody that can fill in pretty well across the field at a fair price
Just thought about it
Tigers play Friday night
Has all weekend to sign with us
It may not be over yet!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Why do it to yourself ? If your that despondent, why bother supporting us at all ?
A little unfair GS. I'm no more despondent than the average supporter . I praise where it's due (Hunt's resurgence) and criticise where it's due (the Board).
Have a good evening and thank you again for all your posts.

getsmarty

Immortal
A little unfair GS. I'm no more despondent than the average supporter . I praise where it's due (Hunt's resurgence) and criticise where it's due (the Board).
Have a good evening and thank you again for all your posts.

Sorry if I hit a raw nerve.....Understand where you are coming from...All I wish is that people would give griffin & co a little time.... surely after 7 & 1/2 years of the last bloke, we can at least give him until the end of next year.

Appreciate your comments here and your input. At the end of the day we all want the same thing...success...Have a good evening and hopefully we can be competitive this weekend.

Questions in my mind...

Firstly, where does Moses Mbye sit in quality as a player in everyones minds...

- Top Tier
- Outstanding
- Great
- Good
- Ok
-Below average
- Bottom tier.

I'd suggest he sits between Good/Ok.... just my view.

And so secondly ...
Is Mybe, at 28 years of age, by (potentially) coming to the dragons going to all-of-a-sudden sprout wings and become a top class player?

My answer - no.

Thirdly - So should we take him on?

My answer - no.

Then..
So what's the value in getting Mybe to the Dragons?
I see him as another gap filler. But that's no justification of signing yet another gap-filler, middle-of-the-road-type.

At the moment as I understand it, this is pure speculation about him coming but this is what happens when your club is mediocre and the vultures of network and social media are picking at the bones of a club. It used to be other clubs. Now it's our club.

The list of mediocre players Griffin has already brought in is long. Why add to it when there's no sign of improvement so far.

Yes a Good/Great/Outstanding/Top Tier player will cost more $$$..

But what club in recent history - if at all - has changed it's roster with a bunch of "Ok" players and seen a significant improvement and successes?

To my mind - absolutely none.

Combine that, with a coach who's been sacked twice from 2 clubs...... and another supporting coach who's also been sacked multiple times.....

To me it spells nothing but mediocrity....

>>>

If you owned a company that had average results year on year, had a slide and issues with it's staff behaviour and performance...... what would you do to turn it around?

Replace average employees with more/different average employees?

Replace your CEO with one who's been sacked twice to run the place, and who brings a COO who's also been sacked twice to support him running the place? Who combined have not delivered a sustained level of success to their former companies?

>>>>

We are not getting better. All we are at the moment is getting different. Different does not mean better.

Moses Mbye is different. He's not better.

To sign him is more of the "same different"

BLM01

First Grade
Questions in my mind...

- Top Tier
- Outstanding
- Great
- Good
- Ok
-Below average
- Bottom tier.

And so secondly ...
Is Mybe, at 28 years of age, by (potentially) coming to the dragons going to all-of-a-sudden sprout wings and become a top class player?

My answer - no.

My answer - no.

Then..
I see him as another gap filler. But that's no justification of signing yet another gap-filler, middle-of-the-road-type.

At the moment as I understand it, this is pure speculation about him coming but this is what happens when your club is mediocre and the vultures of network and social media are picking at the bones of a club. It used to be other clubs. Now it's our club.

The list of mediocre players Griffin has already brought in is long. Why add to it when there's no sign of improvement so far.

But what club in recent history - if at all - has changed it's roster with a bunch of "Ok" players and seen a significant improvement and successes?

Combine that, with a coach who's been sacked twice from 2 clubs...... and another supporting coach who's also been sacked multiple times.....

>>>

If you owned a company that had average results year on year, had a slide and issues with it's staff behaviour and performance...... what would you do to turn it around?

Replace your CEO with one who's been sacked twice to run the place, and who brings a COO who's also been sacked twice to support him running the place? Who combined have not delivered a sustained level of success to their former companies?

>>>>

We are not getting better. All we are at the moment is getting different. Different does not mean better.

The only Thing I can think of is his better utility value than what we have

mickeylane

Bench
Questions in my mind...

- Top Tier
- Outstanding
- Great
- Good
- Ok
-Below average
- Bottom tier.

And so secondly ...

My answer - no.

My answer - no.

Then..

>>>

>>>>

we have an oversupply of youngsters coming through and an undersupply of experienced backline players...only have Ben Hunt with over 100 games of experience not counting Beale...so there is a need of some quality...i would really sign Nikorima and Mbye...

we have an oversupply of youngsters coming through and an undersupply of experienced backline players...only have Ben Hunt with over 100 games of experience not counting Beale...so there is a need of some quality...i would really sign Nikorima and Mbye...

Yeah I can see where you are coming from with that assessment.

I'd suggest the better value is to let those juniors come through in the backline (eg Sloan, Feagai x2, Ramsay, Sullivan etc) to complement Hunt, Rav & Lomax (all now experienced first graders) and pump investment into developing a brutal forward pack that gets these guys up fields and space to create etc.

Perhaps that's the plan from Griffin with Su'a, Burgess, and possibly others. Our current pack (or at least in the games I've seen up til over a month ago) has been dominated too regularly, pretty much all season. We need more mongrel. We've been too soft. Vaughan going is a blessing imo. Alvaro and a few others can be cut loose. Yeah you need stopgaps for injuries but seems to me thats what most of our team currently is.

For the price of Nikorima and Mbye - I'd get rid of another forward or two (three) and go all out for Brandon Smith. Yes we have McCullough - which i still shake my head at - but Smith is a driving force. Get him, joined up with the likes of Sims, Lawrie (who's come along since last year), Su'a, Burgess, Kerr (i'd prefer back in the middle, not on the edge), De Belin, McGuire (yes he's been out more than in but when he's out there he's always going forward - and can play 80 minutes).... we are then looking like a pretty formidable pack...

One that can go forward and hold the middle. One that can give these young guys momentum and room to move, rather than being on the back foot and cramped for space.

Give a team like that a season - I'm very confident we'd see a great improvement.

Then Give that team another season after that - with our backline a years' worth of NRL experience... I'm confident we'll be back in amongst the top teams again - if coached well. Some forwards may need to be succeeded by then but it gives the juniors of now the best opportunity to succeed.

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Combine that, with a coach who's been sacked twice from 2 clubs...... and another supporting coach who's also been sacked multiple times....

>>>>
Gee how many big name "top level" signings did Penrith have in their grand final team last year?

How many rep players did they have at the time?

Better yet seeing as you know our coach's history so well, how many of those players debuted with him as coach?

It certainly can be done and I for one would like to see Mbye in the red v, either as a 14 or a half if Sullivan/Amone don't live up to the hype/expectations.

Gee how many big name "top level" signings did Penrith have in their grand final team last year?

Better yet seeing as you know our coach's history so well, how many of those players debuted with him as coach?

It certainly can be done and I for one would like to see Mbye in the red v, either as a 14 or a half if Sullivan/Amone don't live up to the hype/expectations.
Did they recruit any middle of the road, simply “ok” bog average players either?

No.

but we’ve recruited a list of them as long as Griffins belt…

If you are happy with signing an ok / average player at cost to take the place of a junior … then good for you.

Dragon David

First Grade

I think Maguire is the wrong coach for Mbye. I think under Des Hasler during Mbye's time at the Bulldogs from 2014-2018 (Hasler left at the end of 2017), Mbye was a very good, creative and versatile player. Ivan Cleary got him to the Tigers possibly mid season in 2018 and I think was doing ok under him. But under Maguire he has sort of come down a bit. His versatility made him ideal to slot into the fullback, centre, five eighth, half back and hooker positions at the Dogs and Tigers so if he can recapture some of his form when he was at the Dogs, he would come in handy for us as an all round utility player which is something we need.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Mbye is a big improvement on Williame he offers far more utility but he’ll cost much more than Williame. If we had Mbye this year he would have been a handy replacement for Lomax.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Did they recruit any middle of the road, simply “ok” bog average players either?

No.

but we’ve recruited a list of them as long as Griffins belt…

If you are happy with signing an ok / average player at cost to take the place of a junior … then good for you.

Koroisau, Tetevano and Capewell all fit the description of middle of the road if you ask me, maybe not so much now but they did when they signed in 2019 which shows middle of the road players can improve in time and in the right system.

As mentioned Mbye would be a handy plan B if our plan A in Sullivan/Amone doesn't work, I'm sure plenty would ask where was the plan B if it doesn't work out with these two.

BBTB

Juniors
Yeah I can see where you are coming from with that assessment.

I'd suggest the better value is to let those juniors come through in the backline (eg Sloan, Feagai x2, Ramsay, Sullivan etc) to complement Hunt, Rav & Lomax (all now experienced first graders) and pump investment into developing a brutal forward pack that gets these guys up fields and space to create etc.

Perhaps that's the plan from Griffin with Su'a, Burgess, and possibly others. Our current pack (or at least in the games I've seen up til over a month ago) has been dominated too regularly, pretty much all season. We need more mongrel. We've been too soft. Vaughan going is a blessing imo. Alvaro and a few others can be cut loose. Yeah you need stopgaps for injuries but seems to me thats what most of our team currently is.

For the price of Nikorima and Mbye - I'd get rid of another forward or two (three) and go all out for Brandon Smith. Yes we have McCullough - which i still shake my head at - but Smith is a driving force. Get him, joined up with the likes of Sims, Lawrie (who's come along since last year), Su'a, Burgess, Kerr (i'd prefer back in the middle, not on the edge), De Belin, McGuire (yes he's been out more than in but when he's out there he's always going forward - and can play 80 minutes).... we are then looking like a pretty formidable pack...

One that can go forward and hold the middle. One that can give these young guys momentum and room to move, rather than being on the back foot and cramped for space.

Give a team like that a season - I'm very confident we'd see a great improvement.

Then Give that team another season after that - with our backline a years' worth of NRL experience... I'm confident we'll be back in amongst the top teams again - if coached well. Some forwards may need to be succeeded by then but it gives the juniors of now the best opportunity to succeed.
Now that's a plan. Forwards win games.
Backs just score tries.

Koroisau, Tetevano and Capewell all fit the description of middle of the road if you ask me, maybe not so much now but they did when they signed in 2019 which shows middle of the road players can improve in time and in the right system.

As mentioned Mbye would be a handy plan B if our plan A in Sullivan/Amone doesn't work, I'm sure plenty would ask where was the plan B if it doesn't work out with these two.

Korisau wasn’t average at all IMO .. he was very talented and starred in minimal appearances for souths in his first year…behind Isaac Luke and competing with Cook. then after a season at Penrith was nabbed by Manly and was one of there better players. He was 25 when the Panthers got him back,

Capewell didn’t set the world alight at the Sharks, who flagged after winning the comp. He only had 3 NRL seasons and was only 25 when signed by Penrith. Plenty of football in him.

Tetevano had a number of seasons at the Roosters and was a first grade selection in almost all games during his time there, in a prime era for them. An average player wouldn’t cut it. He was hardly average. He also played for NZ during this time. Then Penrith sign him at 27 , they only gave him one season. Who knows why, but he was hardly an average player..

Mbye is older than all those guys when signed by Penrith. He didn’t do much at the dogs and was regularly pushed around into different backline positions. The same story for him at the tigers. He’s not our solution at all IMO

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors

@Bring back John Fifita

We can expand this to a dragons example if you would like? Who were the top level recruits during the Bennett years?

Was it Boyd/Costigan who had played a couple of games for QLD in the same fashion as Molo/Su'a ie just over the last year or so?

Was it Weyman who had played 45 games for Canberra and no rep footy?

Or was it Jeremy Smith who had played a few games for NZ at the time he signed (less than how many games George Burgess has played for England might I add)?

Not that dissimilar to the calibre of player Hook is signing.

Good coaches sign players with potential and get them to fulfil their potential which I remain confident Hook can do with our signings/juniors.