What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes a good system. Bennett wouldn't even talk to Doust or the Board🤮. Communication was made, through Fat Albert Young. Bennett told Young what he wanted, then fat Albert got it done. That's why Doust
Gave Bennett the boot, after 3yrs.(instead of 5yrs)
He couldn't get near the team, to get any glory. The Board is our problem & the chairman. Andrew Gordan.
Also I see f**kn Doust has weasled his way back on the board
Thanks to Gordan
for the shonky deal he did with Doust.
We should bring back the Oust Doust thread. He was and still is our Achilles heal even if he did manage to get Bennett to the club. Why he didn't sign Bennett to a longer deal god only knows. A longer deal would have led to more premiership wins after 2010 in my opinion. We might have won in 2011 if Bennett knew he was with us beyond that year and who knows, 2012 and 2013 as well.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
We should bring back the Oust Doust thread. He was and still is our Achilles heal even if he did manage to get Bennett to the club. Why he didn't sign Bennett to a longer deal god only knows. A longer deal would have led to more premiership wins after 2010 in my opinion. We might have won in 2011 if Bennett knew he was with us beyond that year and who knows, 2012 and 2013 as well.
We would have won in 2011, the playing couldn’t come to the realisation that coach was leaving.
it showed how much they thought of him. It fell apart halfway through the season when they were told and the footy never recovered. Remember he had a short time to produce which he did.

Doust left at the end of 2018 from memory?

I know he's back, and loathed by many for whatever reason. But looking back on it - from the start of the JV to when Bennett finished, we made the semis 10 out of 13 seasons. 1 Grand Final win. in that - we'd signed Wayne Bennett. IMO the best signing we've ever made.

After that we tanked for a while but at the end of his tenure - we'd come back to make the major semi's and a whisker away from a prelim. We'd signed quality players. Widdop, Frizell, Graham, Hunt, Vaughan, McInnes, Sims. We weren't miserly..

After he left - we fell in an almighty hole.... I don't put that all down to him leaving us of course. But we have been a basket case since.. And who have we signed of note since?

I for one don't mind he's back. Its others in there I'm highly doubtful of. Especially "Rhymes with Dillward"..

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
We would have won in 2011, the playing couldn’t come to the realisation that coach was leaving.
it showed how much they thought of him. It fell apart halfway through the season when they were told and the footy never recovered. Remember he had a short time to produce which he did.
plus seven blokes selected in Origin didn’t help! What’s happening to Penrith this year, been happening for ages.

Slackboy72

Coach
Will we ever be able to emulate a team like this again:-

FB
WG
CE
CE
WG
7. Ben Hornby (c)​
HB
PR
HK
PR
11. Beau Scott
SR
12. Ben Creagh
SR
LF
Int.​
Int.​
16. Matt Prior
Int.​
Int.​
How many of those players were Dragons juniors?

Morris (via Kiama Knights? NRL debut at 19),
Gasnier (via Renown, NRL debut at 18),
Matty Cooper (Steelers junior via Shellharbour Sharks, NRL debut at 21),
Two-try GF hero Jason Nightingale (Renown again, NRL debut at 20),
Ben Hornby (via Corrimal cougars , NRL debut at 20),
Dean Young (Dapto Canaries , NRL debut at 19),
Beau Scott (Picton Magpies , NRL debut at 22 with sharkies),
Ben Creagh (Edmund Rice College, NRL debut at 18),
Trent Merrin (Shellharbour sharks , NRL debut at 19),
The overly maligned Matt Prior (Thirroul Butchers, NRL debut at 20),

10/17 local juniors.
Key spots filled were FB, 5/8, Props, Lock.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Doesn't he play a similar roll in the Tigers side that's abysmal?

I don't care why they say they have signed him, this type of signing stinks of mediocrity and a lack of competitive hunger
Just passing on the comment,
From memory he has probably played more 1,3,4,6 & 7 at the tigers in his time.
I think he’ll be used as the 14 spending most of his time at dummy half. If so I’m ok with his signing, especially with the tigers paying a fair chunk.

Slackboy72

Coach
Glory days. The Tragedy is that we didn’t go back to back in 2011. Massive opportunity lost. Here we are 10yrs later & we've never been close since.
Here's our current team local juniors from Round 1 & 2
Matt Dufty (NRL debut at 21),
Cody Ramsey (NRL debut at 20),
Jack Bird (NRL debut at 20 with the sharks),
Zac Lomax (NRL debut at 18),
Blake Lawrie (NRL debut at 20),
Trent Merrin (NRL debut at 19).

Adam Clune (NRL debut at 24) got a run in Round 1 because of Corey Norman's suspension for fighting racist randoms.

So 6/17 juniors barring suspension.
Key positions filled at RW, 5/8, HB, Props, Hooker, 2nd row, Lock.

Our junior development system went to shit under McGregor. Now Hook is making the same mistake (in my hopefully mistaken opinion).

BLM01

First Grade
Here's our current team local juniors from Round 1 & 2
Matt Dufty (NRL debut at 21),
Cody Ramsey (NRL debut at 20),
Jack Bird (NRL debut at 20 with the sharks),
Zac Lomax (NRL debut at 18),
Blake Lawrie (NRL debut at 20),
Trent Merrin (NRL debut at 19).

Adam Clune (NRL debut at 24) got a run in Round 1 because of Corey Norman's suspension for fighting racist randoms.

So 6/17 juniors barring suspension.
Key positions filled at RW, 5/8, HB, Props, Hooker, 2nd row, Lock.

Our junior development system went to shit under McGregor. Now Hook is making the same mistake (in my hopefully mistaken opinion).
Not sure i get what is Hooks mistake. The team Hook started with this year was not all his doing if it is about how many juniors or prime positions?
Why is Hook's development system potentially wrong?
The way it is looking Round 1 2022
We could have 8-9/17 juniors starting (5 in the backs, 4 forwards)

gitano

Juniors
Mbye is solid enough. Certainly more physical at right centre than Lomax. I assume Mbye gets first crack there

Slackboy72

Coach
Not sure i get what is Hooks mistake. The team Hook started with this year was not all his doing if it is about how many juniors or prime positions?
Why is Hook's development system potentially wrong?
The way it is looking Round 1 2022
We could have 8-9/17 juniors starting (5 in the backs, 4 forwards)
We have to develop our juniors into quality first graders. From that we form the core of our team.
We're not going to do that by buying other people's trash.

BLM01

First Grade
We have to develop our juniors into quality first graders. From that we form the core of our team.
We're not going to do that by buying other people's trash.
OK.. agree but that is a process
It was a failure in the past
I believe Hook is starting that transition or trying to improve it 100%
Hooks hands are tied when the club employ in house favs to run development as well if in fact they are the right people which I am not convinced they are. Timmins Head snd Haran

But while these kids are developing or near ready you need to compliment with experience on and off the paddock without paying too much hence Norman still used this year under contract and Mybe / Hunt McCulloch next

Reason: as soon as these young kids like Sloan are ready and the media are on them like now their $$ initiated by player managers sky rockets and eats into your cap to keep the best ones
The proof will be in the next 2-3 yrs if Hook gets an extension

So it is fine buying other people’s cheap trash if they turn out to do the job they intend and provide value for money
Melb do it the best and their systems turn them into $$ and wanted products

Mybe will offer that I hope much more than Norman as is younger, more willing and versatile
In regards to forwards all you need is grunt mobility and experience to do a simple job
I think we almost have that next year.. one more good forward would do me

thebigredv

First Grade
and yet we are not paying overs under griffin...Fact

Cronulla didn't pay overs for Hynes, in fact got a bargain, and they offered less than the Dragons did for Finucane.

Maybe we are just not a desirable destination.

There's going to be so much pressure on our juniors to score points next year - too much. Woods is another twilight player who will lose his will to play at the Dragons like Merrin and Graham. There's no one there opposition will fear.

St Tangles

Bench
Cronulla didn't pay overs for Hynes, in fact got a bargain, and they offered less than the Dragons did for Finucane.

There's going to be so much pressure on our juniors to score points next year - too much. Woods is another twilight player who will lose his will to play at the Dragons like Merrin and Graham. There's no one there opposition will fear.
If Hynes keeps up his Melbourne form it will be a bargain

If he ends up like some others who have left the Storm system over the years they have overpaid

A risk they could afford to take having cleared alot of overpriced players from there books

Even if he is average he is better value then Dugan / SJ & Moylan

With Finucane Cronulla offered more than us first 3 years and less the 4th year the deals were similar

Draginzaaar

Bench

Finucane wanted 4 years, Cronulla were the only club that offered that.

Latest posts