What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most bizarre statistics

Mr Saab

Referee
Yeah, Newcastle won it in 1997.

Wayne Bennett has coached (assistant coached) the most southern team then the most northern team at the times he started coaching them. Also, he coached a team that has lost a GF then a team that hasn't lost a GF then a team that has lost now a team that hasn't lost a GF.

I had to read it three times, but i worked it out.

For the others that are confused - here it is :

*When Wayne started coaching in 1987 with Canberra they were the most southern team (storm came in in 1998)
*When Wayne coached Brisbane in 1988 they were the most northern team (cowboys came in in 1995)
*He coached a team that has lost a GF - Raiders (1987)
*He coached a team that has not lost a GF - Broncos
*He coached the Dragons who have lost a GF (1999)
*He is now coaching the Knights who have not lost a GF

Why the f**k he talked in riddles i dont know.....but yes it stat - albeit a stupid one

Hutty1986

Immortal

*When Wayne started coaching in 1987 with Canberra they were the most southern team (storm came in in 1998)
*When Wayne coached Brisbane in 1988 they were the most northern team (cowboys came in in 1995)

Why the f**k he talked in riddles i dont know.....but yes it stat - albeit a stupid one

Thanks saab, it's good that somebody can crack the code :lol:

The Engineers Room

First Grade

That is exactly what I meant. Seriously it wasn't that hard to work out. Did I have to spell it out and write it in crayon?

Canberra most Southern to Brisbane most Nothern

Canberra defeated in 1987
Brisbane never defeated in GF
Dragons defeated in 1999
Knights never defeated

I wonder what percentage of teams with the lighter coloured jersey have defeated the team with a darker coloured jersey in a GF?

moltznmarshall

Juniors
Mathematically, the chance of kicking a rugby union or league conversion/goal is always 50%

The fact that the goal posts "go up to infinity" into space and the universe means the area through which the ball CAN be kicked is Infinity-metres-squared. The space that the ball cannot be kicked also goes up and out into space forever, so it's area is also Infinity-metres-squared.

Therefor the space through which you CAN kick a goal is EQUAL to the space through which you can't, therefore 50:50

an odd mathematical truth

Soccer has a closed box so that rule doesn't work in that sport

firechild

First Grade
Mathematically, the chance of kicking a rugby union or league conversion/goal is always 50%

The fact that the goal posts "go up to infinity" into space and the universe means the area through which the ball CAN be kicked is Infinity-metres-squared. The space that the ball cannot be kicked also goes up and out into space forever, so it's area is also Infinity-metres-squared.

Therefor the space through which you CAN kick a goal is EQUAL to the space through which you can't, therefore 50:50

That's almost as dumb as the riddle on the previous page. If you really wanted to get into the physics and maths then you could calculate the maximum height a human can possibly kick the ball then the probability which still makes no sense. What you're implying (using your soccer comparison) is that the probability of a person kicking a goal is so low as to assume it is not possible. With respect to rugby league (or union) the probability is a proportion (infinity/infinity can be assume to = 1 given they are the same infinity) and can be calculated by the angle which changes depending where the ball is placed. Unfortunately using that logic, kicking height has been taken out of the equation so it does not account for a ball being kicked below the crossbar.

Hutty1986

Immortal

You are so far off your head, you're the one going up to infinity into space

The Engineers Room

First Grade

But is it possible for a ball to make it through the atmosphere? I would say not so then that creates your box and makes the 50% incorrect.

RHCP

Bench
There is a 50/50 chance a goal will be kicked - it either will be or it won't be.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Surely if most NRL goal kickers are kicking between 60 - 80% then the chance of kicking a goal would be in this range?

i bought an XA Falcon a few year ago from a mates dad he ordered it new from Ford and had GT Running gear put into it as a special factory order the motor had never been pulled down or had any hop up work done to it, it had a 351 Clevo, when i had it dyno`d to see what power it had before an engine freshen up it had 351 horses........and it had 35,180 miles on the clock when i bought it

firechild

First Grade
There is a 50/50 chance a goal will be kicked - it either will be or it won't be.

That's as dumb as saying there is a 50% chance of getting 00 in roulette based on the fact that either it will or it won't.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Surely if most NRL goal kickers are kicking between 60 - 80% then the chance of kicking a goal would be in this range?

That's as dumb as saying there is a 50% chance of getting 00 in roulette based on the fact that either it will or it won't.

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

POPEYE

Coach
In 1970 my Monaro and I lost 12 points for 3 counts of speeding and got caught for DUI on one long weekend.

In those days a DUI conviction wiped all other infractions so I ended up with a $100 fine and one month's loss of licence . . . paid to drink and drive

Latest posts