What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most controversial selections in history

Azkatro

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
Jack Elsegood

Off-topic, but did anyone else know he's driving V8's these days? Not the big leagues of course but I saw him the weekend before last winning a series of races. At first I thought it was a namesake but they interviewed him afterwards and sure enough it was the pretty boy!

Mr Saab

Referee
slava said:
STILL I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GAME THAN ANY OF YOUS

Jeff Fenech called...he wants his vocabulary back.

You know SWEET F ALL about league. Your comments prove as much.

Mr Saab

Referee
Hurriflatch said:
NO CONTEST!!!!!!
Ross Conlon getting selected ahead of Eric Grothe in i think it was 1982

he kicked 7 goals (might have been 5) so thats something!! ;-)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No recognised 5/8 on the Kangaroo tour 2003.

With Trent Barrett injured, the best they couldve done was picked Scott Hill or Braith Anasta, or even Preston Campbell.

iggy plop

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
On the topic of picking Australia and Origin sides, there has been has some selection blunders in the past and some harsh one's. They can go back as far Len Smith who was left out of the Australian team in 1972.

2003, Luke Lewis: 21-year old a star winger/centre destined to play for the Kangaroos after winning premiership, injury to Michael De Vere wouldve been the chance, but was overlooked by 34-year old Darren Smith. Worst one Ive ever seen.

What are some others anyone can think of?

Picking Grant Graving ahead of Butch Fatnowna at the Broncos.

Should never have happened.

gregstar

Referee
does slava impression

WALLY LEWIS - WHO WAS THAT nice person! THAT F*CK SHOULD NEVER HAVE PLAYED FOR AUS! YOU GUYS ARE F......!

thankyou ;-)

JJ

Immortal
slava said:
Rhys Whesser last year origin. Karmichael was awesome at the time. should've been in. QLD would've won then.

LMFAO - have you met Sullfan - you're both dead-set geniuses!!

I dunno, but I'd imagine that the Qld selectors would have rated Wesser, Bowen, Slater, and Shifcoske (sp) all above Hunt for Origin last year, and the order may have schanged this year, but he's still be #5 at best. (I think they'd sooner have shifted Lockyer, or played O'Davis than play Hunt).

The kid's a kiwi, only been in Aust for a few years, Beetson is right... He's got the likes of Minichello, Hornby and Hodgson from NSW that are all better than him at present...

Mr Saab

Referee
gregstar said:
does slava impression

WALLY LEWIS - WHO WAS THAT nice person! THAT F*CK SHOULD NEVER HAVE PLAYED FOR AUS! YOU GUYS ARE F......!

thankyou ;-)

unfortunately i think that is applicable to Slava.
Why is he a broncos supporter!

mightybears

Bench
that i can remember
croker in 94, my god he got ripped off

historically
LEN SMITH NOT BEING SELECTED TO PLAY LET ALONE CAPTAIN THE 48 KANGAROOS TOUR BECAUSE OF HIS CATHOLICISM,
[disgraceful effort by masonic prominent league identity selectors]
he'd done the job mid year against the kiwis, but we can't have a catholic captaining australia against the english can we! [see same issue historically re australian cricket team]

Kiwi

First Grade
slava said:
STILL I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GAME THAN ANY OF YOUS

There is a saying which I think aplies here.

Self praise is no praise at all

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2002, Anthony Minichello not getting picked in the test match against New Zealand after the Grand Final.

I know he ended up playing for Australia the next year, but you couldnt deny his brilliant form in the final series.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Wayne Pearce and Wally Lewis both being overlooked for Kangaroo Tours.

I recall Wally, returning from a broken arm, making a late bid for Kangaroo selection, playing off the bench in a semi final (he came on with about 10m remaining), and then failed the medical for the selection. he then preceeded to blame everyone from the teanm doctor to Arko for his admission. Fact was he wasn't fit to make the Broncos run on side - therefore he wasn't fit to make a 26 game Kangaro tour.

Why am I surprised that you didn't recall that?

JJ

Immortal
Misty Bee said:
The Colonel said:

I recall Wally, returning from a broken arm, making a late bid for Kangaroo selection, playing off the bench in a semi final (he came on with about 10m remaining), and then failed the medical for the selection. he then preceeded to blame everyone from the teanm doctor to Arko for his admission. Fact was he wasn't fit to make the Broncos run on side - therefore he wasn't fit to make a 26 game Kangaro tour.

Because:
1. It looked like payback for Pearce's non-selection.
2. It was Wally Lewis - the King, the greatest etc etc and he was denied the opportunity to tour one last time.

Mr Saab

Referee
Misty Bee said:
The Colonel said:

So what about Paul Harragon on the 1994 Tour. He was suspended late in the season and served out his time on tour. 4 games i think it was.
Chief was also selected to Captain Australia in the 1995 World cup game vs Sth Africa with a broken jaw...won 86-6. Chief played 1/2 a game . Payback for his loyalty in the ARL war :roll:
What an honour, captaoning australia vs sth africa :roll:
Wally would have been fine 2 weeks into the tour. It was a joke he wasnt selected.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Brett Kenny and Peter Sterling being picked ahead of Steve Mortimer and Wally Lewis for the first Test v England. Was a shock but given the results.....

Frank Stanton wanted a decent combination at the scrumbase. With Ray Price at lock, Sterlo and Kenny were the obvious choice, given that such a combination had won 2 consecutive premierships. The big selection stuff up was making Brett Kenny play his rep career out in the centres to accommodate the much less telanted Wally Lewis!
Also anytime Daniel Wagon gets picked for Queensland.
Anytime he gets picked for PARRAMATTA!
Because:
1. It looked like payback for Pearce's non-selection.
2. It was Wally Lewis - the King, the greatest etc etc and he was denied the opportunity to tour one last time.

So bloody what? He wasn't fit!!!!

So what about Paul Harragon on the 1994 Tour. He was suspended late in the season and served out his time on tour. 4 games i think it was.
Chief was also selected to Captain Australia in the 1995 World cup game vs Sth Africa with a broken jaw...won 86-6. Chief played 1/2 a game . Payback for his loyalty in the ARL war
What an honour, captaoning australia vs sth africa
Wally would have been fine 2 weeks into the tour. It was a joke he wasnt selected.

2 entirely different things. Harrigan was one of about 6 props that toured - and his fitness was guaranteed after the suspension ended. Lewis was a 5/8, meaning that the other 5/8 had to carry double the workload while Wally became fit. And it is doubtful that Wally 'would have been fine' 2 weeks into the tour. He certainly would not have been match fit, something you need to be in a test on British soil.

To pick a bloke who has only played 15 minutes of the bench in 3 months of footy for a Test series would have been rediculous, and a massive affront to one Cliff Lyons, who not only deserved the honour, but played the house down in the tests.

As for Chief captaining Australia, what have you achieved in life that you can belittle that? Dickhead. :roll: