What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most hyped youngster that went nowhere?

Vee

First Grade
Around 15 years or so ago there was a kid at Penrith called Solo Alone. I don't remember if he was any good, but he had a name that should have played Origin. No idea where he ended up.
Don't forget Pale Ale.

Vee

First Grade
This is a great thread. Good read.

For the Bronx, there's been a few. Somebody already mentioned Brett Seymour who was being called "The next Wally Lewis". So I'll have to go with Palmer Wapau. He was talked up so much that when he came off the interchange bench to make his debut, there was a loud cheer...at Suncorp, where crowd noise goes to die. I think that was his only game in first grade from memory.
Cyril Connell reckoned Seymour was special. Others he nominated were Brett Galea, Julian O'Neil and Locky.

Tiger5150

Bench
He was one of the best U/16s prospects coming through but he seemingly peaked at that level. He did resurface at Manly as this Talakai esque centre who would just rack up the metres but didn't have a whole lot else going for him. After that he'd pop up from club to club but was usually in Ron Massey or the BRL comps.

Another U/16s who was meant to be the next big thing was Tyrone Phillips. He was one of those players who was being fast-tracked through the grades and was going to be the next big thing at Souths only to seemingly fall away. In the end he ended up coming through at Canterbury and at best was a decent depth option before finishing up at the Panthers before their sheer dominance of the competition.

I'm still disappointed Magnus Stromquist never had his day in the NRL. Played for every affiliate club but none of the NRL coaches were brazen enough to harness the power of Magnus. Definitely some premiership opportunities gone begging.

When was Magnus playing? I played with a Magnus Stromquist, but it was back in the 80/90's? EDIT - Googled and it was recent. Who'd a think more than one?

Adam Gooden. Were real big wraps on him when playing SG Ball and Jersey Flegg for the Roosters but he never made the cut.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Not sure but my memory is one game of Reggie's, 5 tries and never played Reggie's again. I think he was player of the commbank cup as well.
Okay just going off that I reckon Fittler would be better. Imagine juniors trying to tackle a dude with that step he had.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Kevin Locke is a good shout. Massively hyped, big debut v the Tigers, played for the Kiwis, scored that epic try v Roosters in CHCH then pissed his career away. Could've been anything.

Was that the try where he wrapped himself around the goal post scoring the match winner ? My memory of that game was Warriors scoring early after Phil Graham was shielding the ball as it was going over the dead ball line then a Warriors player pounced ( maybe Locke as he scored 3 tries that day ) and grounded the ball but replays showed the ball was already over the dead ball line when the Warriors grounded it but the ref gave the try. Then the game was in the balance with Easts leading 18-14 till Locke scored the freaky match winner where he wrapped himself around the goal post scoring, thought he was going to snap himself in half scoring it.

Wizardman

First Grade

Was that the try where he wrapped himself around the goal post scoring the match winner ? My memory of that game was Warriors scoring early after Phil Graham was shielding the ball as it was going over the dead ball line then a Warriors player pounced ( maybe Locke as he scored 3 tries that day ) and grounded the ball but replays showed the ball was already over the dead ball line when the Warriors grounded it but the ref gave the try. Then the game was in the balance with Easts leading 18-14 till Locke scored the freaky match winner where he wrapped himself around the goal post scoring, thought he was going to snap himself in half scoring it.
What was it with him? Injury? Attitude? He certainly had that special quality about his play in him.