What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Memorable Tries

Mr Saab

Referee
Eddie. said:
Darren Senter - Wests Tigers v Raiders

2001 Campbelltown

Classic individual effort.

yeah reaaaaaaaal classical ;-)
he put the ball down after a penalty restart!

salivor

First Grade
Being a Broncos fan a few stick in my mind:

- Renouf going 90 metres to score THAT try in the Grand Final.
- Sailor going up to take a bomb against the Dragons, turning, pushing off a couple of players and running 70 metres to score.
- Gordon Tallis going through a million players against Parramatta in 2000
- Tallis again going through several players and under the posts against the Bulldogs last year to nearly win us the game.
- Langer against the Bulldogs about 11-12 years ago where he kicked ahead along the ground about 3 times before finally scoring.
- Scott Minto against Melbourne a couple of years ago in golden point where he was put into space and then jumped into the air into the fullback when he came to the line with Bennett fist pumping on the sidelines.

A few others:
- TC scoring on the hooter in Origin 1, 1998, been mentioned a few times already.
- Slater against Newcastle last year I think where he made a fool of the fullback.
- Dane Carlaw scoring on fulltime in Origin 3, 2002 and then bloody Tuqiri misses the goal to win the match.
- Nathan Blacklock in the 99' Grand Final where Melbourne chipped in behind the line and he ran on to it all the way to the goal posts.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Glen said:
Eric Grothe Jr's length of the field try against Penrith, 1999 at Parra Stadium. One of my favourite moments ever.

That was to win the game too wasn't it??

Absolute classic! Speed, power and determination.

I liked his try against the Sharkies last year as well - ran from dummy half - straight into Simmons and pushed him off, accelerated away from everyone and then ran straight over Peachey to score!

Also his 100m against Manly last year - they kicked, he caught, he ran and they couldn't get close!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Here's a few Parramatta classics:

*Stuart Kelly's try against Penrith in 2000
*Eric Grothe jr against Newcastle, where Kelly toed it through and Grothe flew from no where to score
*Eric Grothe against Penrith in 2000
*Jamie Lyon's 90m run against St George in 2002 down at WIN stadium.
*Pat Richards against Melbourne in 2001, basically it went through 10 sets of hands
*Brett Hodgson's try against Penrith in 2001, at Telstra Stadium. What a way to kick off a brilliant season.
*David Vaeliki's try against Canberra in 2000, which was started by Hindmarsh who hit one of the Canberra players picked up the ball, took on Mullins gace gim the dont argue and gave it to Vaeliki to score.

Another classic try, Paul Mellor giving Anthony Quinn the "Dont argue" in 2002 against Newcastle.

thickos

First Grade
Phil Graham's intercept plus chip and chase and one hand put down vs Penrith ranks as my favourite (unbiased of course :p) individual try of 2005 so far.

choc_soldier

Coach
Glen said:
Eric Grothe Jr's length of the field try against Penrith, 1999 at Parra Stadium. One of my favourite moments ever.

Funny how that was one of my worst moment ever at the footy... :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
I was going to reply before, but I got caught up looking for pics of Veronika Zemanova's hooters. Far more important.

Now, onto favourite tries:

Non Warriors Tries

* Mark Coyne's epic in Origin. Unbelievable. Go you good thing!
* Gorden Tallis for St George v Warriors. Length of the field brutality
* Any number of Cowboys tries, their last one v Warriors this year was pretty good
* Luke Priddis v Warriors, individual brilliance and match defining

Warriors tries

* Stacey Jones' unreal Grand Final try. Unbelievable effort, beat 8 defenders in a jinking burst of acceleration from 45 metres out.
* John Carlaw v the Roosters round 1 2002. Stunner. Absolute bottler. I would assume not many saw it, but it started with a raid on the last tackle down the left hand side, then got to Campion, who hot potato offloaded to Ivan Cleary, eventually it got to Stacey Jones, who from 45 metres out rolled in grubber kick into wide open spaces, John Carlaw scores under the black dot untouched in I believe his first touch for the Warriors.
* Sione Faumuina v the Bulldogs, semi final 2003. Through a few sets of hands, and Sione playing basketball with a couple of outrageous dummies, then ran 70 metres to dot down under the sticks. Infact, any number of tries that night.
* I believe from memory it was Sione Faumuina again, this time v the Northern Eagles in 2002 in a 68-10 point romp in Stacey's 150th game. All started from Mark Tookey turning to chase a chip kick with good agility.
* Not a great try for a normal athlete, but a real cult figure try, Mark Tookey leaping high to regather a Stacey Jones banana chip against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown, and scoring under the black dot.
* Ivan Cleary v Brisbane Broncos 2002 at Ericsson. Featuring the pass from the *** from Ali Lauitiiti
* Clinton Toopi v Souths 2003 at Aussie Stadium. Iafeta Paleaaesina takes a kick off, side step/swerves past David Faaologo, hot foots it, draws the fullback and passes on the halfway line, Toopi scores under the sticks.
* Ivan Cleary v North Queensland at Dairy Farmers 2002. Mark Tookey takes kick off, swerve/side steps up to 45 metre mark, passes onto Clinton Toopi, inside to Cleary (it may have been the other way around, either way it was classic).
* Johnny Carlaw v Cronulla at Telstra 2002. 10-10, 4 minutes to go, Warriors on the last tackle 18 metres out, the Sharkies rush up at Jones expecting a drop goal, Jones instead grubbers to the far right hand side, Peachey is left gasping for thin air as John Carlaw picks up just ahead of Logan Swann to seal the Warriors their first grand final appearance.
* Henry Fa'afili v Northern Eagles 2001 at Ericsson. Jumps off Lenny Beckett's shoulders no less in a high cross field bomb, catches it, touches down.

Sweet memories. Ode to the year of 2002, what a season, what a team, how awesome was the attack?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Which one, there's been a couple.

2003 was a good one, Gidley flicked it out of nowhere and Tahu had good hands to take it and score.

Iafeta

Referee
I'll add another, Sione Faumuina against Parramatta Eels 2003.

In the space of 10 minutes, he'd come on, scored a try, and set two up running over Michael Witt. If member serves me correct, in this one he chipped over Michael Witt, regathered, and then stepped the fullback. Not bad from 65 metres out for a replacement backrower.

Mr Saab

Referee
francis melis 5 tries vs the dogs was a memorable day (cost me money so i will never forget it) shame he isnt at that level 2005

Mr Saab

Referee
MitchEel said:
The best try i saw was the Guru try in one of the grand finals in the 80's.

guru didnt score great tries in the GFs
The one i think you are referring to was a 1983 vs the dogs where he beat 5 players and he scored with S Mortimer around his legs 10m to the left of the posts

Bumble

First Grade
Stacey Jones in the 2002 GF. Best try I've ever seen.

Matt Kings earlier this year rates a mention, purely because I don't like cutie and he made him look really stupid.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Iafeta said:
I was going to reply before, but I got caught up looking for pics of Veronika Zemanova's hooters. Far more important.

Now, onto favourite tries:

Non Warriors Tries

* Gorden Tallis for St George v Warriors. Length of the field brutality

I was at Ericsson that day. The first time I got to see Saints play live. That was the best try I ever saw Tallis score.

As for another Warriors beauty, in 2002 at Ericsson (I can't quite remember who it was against) when Mark Tookey in full flight somehow reached around and plucked the ball from behind his ankles and run another 10m to score. Best example of athleticism I've ever seen from a big man. I miss seeing the big fella play.

salivor

First Grade
Dragon_psa said:
I was at Ericsson that day. The first time I got to see Saints play live. That was the best try I ever saw Tallis score.

As for another Warriors beauty, in 2002 at Ericsson (I can't quite remember who it was against) when Mark Tookey in full flight somehow reached around and plucked the ball from behind his ankles and run another 10m to score. Best example of athleticism I've ever seen from a big man. I miss seeing the big fella play.

What about the huge run he made of about 50 metres againt the Cowboys in North Queensland in 2002, can't remember who finished that try off though.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
salivor said:
What about the huge run he made of about 50 metres againt the Cowboys in North Queensland in 2002, can't remember who finished that try off though.

That was classic Tooks. I could be wrong, but I think it was Meli or Fa'afili who finshed that one.

Latest posts