What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Memorable Tries

aids

Bench
*tigers' length of the field try against the dogs, harrison finished that off.

*jamie ainscoigh knocking out smith(?) in-goal in the 2000 GF.

rabs

Staff member
the georgie piggins try that personified determination against the magpies about 74-75
he took the ball straight at the big wests forwards and bulldozed through em all to score, maybe we should sign him up next season
icon7.gif

Southernsaint

Staff member
Wayne Bartrim's try in the 1996 semi final against Canberra - the best indivdual try I've seen in a long time...

The Business

Juniors
Mal Meninga's try in the Second Test vs Great Britain. Stuart dummied and broke clear, then found Meninga who threw away a defender to scored and save the series. Sensational.

Bumble

First Grade
aids said:
*jamie ainscoigh knocking out smith(?) in-goal in the 2000 GF.

It's been mentioned 3 or 4 times in this topic, and you still manage to get the year wrong.

shadow grinder

First Grade
slaters first ever try, which sparked many more.

been mentioned already but the try in which brett mullens chipped over 2 guys to score..brilliant!

slaters SOO chip over the top one.

alberts one vs manly in the GF

carl webbs vs NSW

there are many more better ones..but those come to mind first

Just to invert things momentarily- most memorable 'no-try':

Garry Schofield was playing for Balmain in a semi in 1985 against the Minor Premiers, Canterbury. When the game went into extra-time Garry Schofield, the brillaint-pommie import scored a rap-around try in the corner. However, the Tigers jubilation was short-lived when 40/40 referee Mick Stone ruled the last pass as forward. Balmain's miserable extra-time record (83, 85......89) was maintained when Andrew Farrah scored and the dogs eventually won 14-8.
Mickey Stones career as a ref and more recently as a Video ref has been characterised by his propensity to make bold but ultimately disasterous calls. Even with the advent of technology he's still coming up with crap.

Scott Pethybridge- I think that it was Pethybridge who was playing for Norths against Canberra in 98 and he tried the one-handed put-down but he completely bungled it. That no-try was memorable for the comedy of the situation rather than its consequence.

2001, martin lang bursts on to a ball in sharks semi win vs dogs
scores 2nd try of his career
1999- et scores try vs bears. ball is passed 27 times and kicked twice. 12 different players touch the ball
1996ish roosters guy kicks for penalty goal. hits post, team mate runs through catches it and scores

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Iafeta said:
I'll add another, Sione Faumuina against Parramatta Eels 2003.

In the space of 10 minutes, he'd come on, scored a try, and set two up running over Michael Witt. If member serves me correct, in this one he chipped over Michael Witt, regathered, and then stepped the fullback. Not bad from 65 metres out for a replacement backrower.

I think you'll find he actually drew the fullback and passed it to Brent Webb who scored. That was an outrageous try, maybe my favourite ever by the Warriors. It was the last tackle, and for some reason the Warriors passed the ball to Faumuina on the blindside 30 out from his own line, and he somehow made a try out of it. It's a shame we ended up losing that game cos it overshadowed Faumuina's amazing individual performance. You may also recall he scored a try with a brilliant 40 metre run.

Iafeta

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
I think you'll find he actually drew the fullback and passed it to Brent Webb who scored. That was an outrageous try, maybe my favourite ever by the Warriors. It was the last tackle, and for some reason the Warriors passed the ball to Faumuina on the blindside 30 out from his own line, and he somehow made a try out of it. It's a shame we ended up losing that game cos it overshadowed Faumuina's amazing individual performance. You may also recall he scored a try with a brilliant 40 metre run.

I was at that game. Most gutting loss ever, two iffy bounces, two late tries.

There was one which did involve a chip, I can't remember which. Michael Witt though was used as a speed bump by Sione.

And from memory, all this carnage came about while Stacey Jones was in the sin bin for a debatable decision.

Iafeta

Referee
Dragon_psa said:
That was classic Tooks. I could be wrong, but I think it was Meli or Fa'afili who finshed that one.

I'm sure now that I think hard about it it was Clinton Toopi, he passed to Ivan Cleary, who passed onto Toopi who went under the black dot.

It was very similar to Toopi's try off Iafeta Paleaaesina v Souths 2003.

Knightmare

Coach
2001 Blacklock vs the Tigers at Leichardt- that was the most freakishly perfect bounce of the ball I've ever seen.

2001 Bulldogs vs Sharks at Sydney Showground- can't remember who scored, but it went through about 5 or 6 sets of hands and involved a cross field kick on the last tackle.

Brad Fittler's late try for NSW in Game 3 last year- he finally got the S.O.O sendoff that he deserved.

A classic 'No Try' was the one Kenny scored from a Peter Sterling grubber in the 1986 Grand Final- it bounced over Sigsworth's head and suddenly there's Bert leaping over the top of him! Looking on the replays I can't see where he lost it, either. Had Parramatta lost that game they'd be spewing about that call.

Albinomonkey

Juniors
Yep the Mark Coyne 1994 Origin try. I was 8 and not allowed to stay up to watch the match. So I snuck into my parents room and listened on the radio... I'm a Qld fan so its one of my best memories

Also Darren Albert 1997 ARL Grand Final. I'm not a Knights fan but I HATE Manly, and that was quite entertaining...

tiburon

Juniors
Thought I might aswell upload some of the mentioned tries for people that hadn't seen them...

Pistol said:
the one Renouf scored in the 92 Grand Final

..download here..

nospam49™ said:
Any one of about 74 trys Brett Mullins score one night in 1994 against Newcastle.

*don't know about 74 of them but here's one*

..download here..

Billy the kid said:
Craig Smith try in the 99GF
Boy It was a knockout of a try

..download here..

Big Mick © said:
I was only 6 but i'll always remember Roycey's last try in the 91's grand final.

..download here..

PARRA_FAN said:
*Darren Junne's try against Brisbane in 96

..download here..

Red and Blue Knight said:
Darren Alberts miracle....

..download here..

ak47 said:
meningas final intercept

..download here..

PARRA_FAN said:
*Alan Cann's try in the preliminary final against Canterbury in 1993, beat off 5 defenders and sidestepped them all.
*David Westlet against Canterbury in 1994, Major semi final, the try that put them into extra time.

..download try 1..
..download try 2..

lolesi said:
Paul Mellor against Newcastle at shark park in 02 i think?
He palmed off about 5 blokes and ran the length.

..download here..

Glen said:
Brett Hodgson capping off an amazing Origin debut by running the length of the field from the scrum

..download here..

PARRA_FAN said:
Craig Wing (Souths) Vs Cronulla, SFS, 1999.
He had an amazing step, even fooled David Peachey.

..download here..

Phillips said:
Matt Gidleys flick pass to Tahu in Origin (cant remember what yr)

..download here..

Russle crowes band said:
2001, martin lang bursts on to a ball in sharks semi win vs dogs
scores 2nd try of his career

..download here..

shadow grinder

First Grade
cant remember who scored it..think it was robbie ross..but the one where ross hit adrian lam in a huge shoulder charge then went down field to score.

Ted Goodwin's chip and chase try in the 1977 grand final for St George against Parramatta is my favourite all-time try. Mossop: "Goodwin has smacked their bottoms!"

Russell Fairfax's similar try for Easts against Wests in the 1977 Amco Cup final, won 6-5 by the Magpies. Unfortunately he missed the simple conversion of his own try.

Eric Grothe's try v Canterbury in the 1983 semi final, when he leftthem scattered.

Any number of dazzling solo tries from the likes of Steve Mortimer, Steve Morris and John Gibbs from the late 70s and early 80s. The game just doesn't seem to produce those electrifying little halfbacks, anymore.

Latest posts