What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Memorable Tries

choc_soldier

Coach
Another one - Panthers v Sharks in 2000, straight off the kick off, and went though about 10 or so hands. Carter may have been the scorer.

Mr Saab

Referee
parra_panther said:
Another one - Panthers v Sharks in 2000, straight off the kick off, and went though about 10 or so hands. Carter may have been the scorer.

what about peacheys effort vs the panthers 2001. He went thru and past about 8 panthers players.

Raider_69

Post Whore
- Meninga's try against the Poms in 1990, set up by a Stuart dummy and run.
- Brett Mullins kick and chase against Brisbane in 95
- Mark Coynes Origin "thats not a try, thats a miricle" in the 1994 Season
- Steve Jackson's 89 Grandfinal effort. Ran over and though just about the entire Balmain team!
- Chikka Fergason's try in 89 GF, pure class

and finally the one that will never, ever leave me:

- Buglarelli's sideline run, Chip and chase to score in his debut i believe against Manly in 03... why? because it was the only good thing he did!

My fav would be a Melb v Roosters game at OP. Robbie Ross smashed Adrian Lam with a shoulder charge, who dropped the ball. The crowd went up for the hit, then realised Ross had picked it up and scooted away. A pass to Marcus Bai, and Bai was over. Classic stuff!!!

ak47

Juniors
laurie daleys last match in NSW for NSW

step off his left, charged and steamrolled some qlder's

planted it down in pouring rain..........a tsunami was generated from the force he planted it....it was special, as it was his last game for NSW at home.

mullins v broncos double chip'n'chase
penalty try to storm in GF
Dowlings fingertip control in monsoonal conditions in SOO at SCG
billy last year
meningas final intercept

forward pass

Coach
nospam49™ said:
How about Billy Slaters try in last years Origin series.

When Lockyer took the line on and I saw Slater there next to him....I stareted going "Oh ****.....oh ****".

You knew it was coming and there was nothing you could do to stop it.

A great try.

When I watched that I thought he was miles offside so it would get pulled up. And when it was awarded I was dirty. But he wasn't at all - great speed.

fat_mike

Juniors
Big mal in the 94 grand final taking the intercept
Eric grothe Snr bulldozing a tonne of dogs players from about 60-55 metres out.
one try mick o'connor scored against st george in 90-91 i believe. a little game of force em back had developed with manly gaining more territory with each kick. st's fullback screwed around and the kicker in matt ridge chased him down and forced a terrible kick that landed on half way straigh into the arms of mick o'connor. he took off and laid on 2 of the most beautiful right foot steps you'll ever see. timing, balance and class. its on magic memories video and its pure class

jamesgould

Juniors
I reckon you have to take several factors into account when deciding on what might be the top few tries: skill factor, game situation, game importance, amount of time left in game. So the following few I reckon are among the best I've seen:

1990 Ashes game 2 Meninga try - Stuart threw the intercept which led to Britain leading the match - a pretty amazing redemption from deep inside Aussies territory and not long left on the clock. In terms of the amount of pressure Australia would have been under this might be the best ever.

1994 Coyne State of Origin 1 - people would have remembered this one if it was scored in the first minute of Gold Coast vs South Queensland. For it to happen in the 79th minute of an Origin with the game on the line was nothing short of a miracle!

1997 Albert grand final try - an easy enough run for Albert, but the play by Andrew Johns to go blindside when everyone was expecting another field goal attempt puts it in the upper echelons.

1999 Terry Hill vs Brisbane - a struggling Manly side knocking off a Brisbane side on a roll. Another try that would be remembered no matter who scored it and when, amazing strength shown by Hill (and I don't like the guy much, either!). The importance of the game is probably weaker than the other three, though.

James.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Hoggy, that try you mentioned of Slater's was so unexpected no-one saw it coming. I think they were down 22-0 against the Sharks and Slater just picked up the ball from dummy half and accelerated, beat about 5 players. I was like "woah this kid's gonna be something".

Hoggy

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
Hoggy, that try you mentioned of Slater's was so unexpected no-one saw it coming. I think they were down 22-0 against the Sharks and Slater just picked up the ball from dummy half and accelerated, beat about 5 players. I was like "woah this kid's gonna be something".

If you squint with a magniflying glass you can see the scoreline. ;)

22-0 it was after half an hour. Semi Tadulala played the ball. :D

Bazal

Post Whore
Just some favourite recent Parra ones that haven't been mentioned

Luke Burt brilliantly attacking and picking up a Lockyer gubber and handing it off to Grothe to run the length of the field vs Brisbane, Round 2 last year

Adam Dykes cross field kick inside our 40, followed by Ronnie Prince and Junior Langi combining to go the rest of the way and score to beat Newcastle Round 3 last year

Eric Grothe vs Panthers 1999 Semi?

Pat Richards? Him or Grothe, vs Roosters 2000 semi

Tim Smith's pinpoint banana kick to Jonny Morris last week....Joey Johns eat your heart out.

Jamie Lyon vs Warriors, 2001 Semi

Brett Hodgson from the scrum base on Origin debut, 2002

Michael Witt grubber for Wagon to score under the posts with about 30 seconds to go, completing a 12 or 14 point comeback victory over the Warriors in 2003.

David Vaealiki and Luke Burt's hat-tricks within 10 and 15 mins respectively, vs Tigers 2002 and Roosters 2004

Dragon_psa

First Grade
A few of my faves have been mentioned already, so I'll add a couple that haven't.

Wayne Bartrim vs Canberra in a final in '96, stepping 4 or 5 defenders on the way to the try line. Great stuff.

Matt Bowen vs Saints last year at Kogarah - broke my heart, but what a try.

Stacey Jones 2002 GF vs the Roosters. They lost that game, but it was classic Jones.

Matt Cooper vs Panthers at WIN last year. All 4 of them.

Thompson's try off Bailey's boot last weekend was great for sheer entertainment - 2nd rower scoring off a prop's boot. Not often seen.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Here's some good forward tries:

*Alan Cann's try in the preliminary final against Canterbury in 1993, beat off 5 defenders and sidestepped them all.
*Alan Cann's try in the 1992 Grand Final
*Mark O'Meley's 2 tries against Newcastle last year
*Gordon Tallis' 60m try against Penrith at ANZ in 2002
*Nathan Hindmarsh 70m against Canterbury in 2001, at the Showground
*Mark Sargent against Canberra in 1992 at Marathon, which was one of 3 up there. His 3rd one was brilliant.
*David Westlet against Canterbury in 1994, Major semi final, the try that put them into extra time.

lolesi

First Grade
Paul Mellor against Newcastle at shark park in 02 i think?

He palmed off about 5 blokes and ran the length.

Glen

Bench
Eric Grothe Jr's length of the field try against Penrith, 1999 at Parra Stadium. One of my favourite moments ever.

Brett Hodgson capping off an amazing Origin debut by running the length of the field from the scrum

Latest posts