What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overated players

Phillips said:
1- Trent Barret
2- Robbie Kearns
3- Steve Price
4- Brett Kimmorley
5- Craig Gower
6- Josh Perry
7- Brett Finch
8- Jason Stevens
9- Willie Mason
10- Gordon Tallis

YOU IMBECILE!!!

Craig Gower ??!??!?!??!?

The guy played almost an entire season with painkilling injections into his sternum, yet won the Footy Show player of the year award and would have taken out the Dally M Player of the year as well.

Go and take a deep breath you DIMWIT!!

The Colonel

Immortal
1. Luke Patten
2. Chris Walker
3. Matt Gidley
4. Phil Bailey
5. Brent Tate
6. Trent Barrett
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Jason Stevens
9. Brett Finch
10. Michael Vella
11. Willie Mason
12. Glenn Hughes
13. Anasta

chileman

Coach
Phillips said:
1- Trent Barret
2- Robbie Kearns
3- Steve Price
4- Brett Kimmorley
5- Craig Gower
6- Josh Perry
7- Brett Finch
8- Jason Stevens
9- Willie Mason
10- Gordon Tallis
:shock: Craig Gower and Steve Price.....have you been watching netball all season????

JJ

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Renowned League Expert said:
(no order)

Phil Bailey
Andrew Johns
Jason Stevens
Steve Simpson
Joel Clinton

Joel Clinton???? :? wtf

You obviously didnt watch the Grand Final or the Semi Finals that Penrith played in.

Or even the whole year.

Exactly - he watched the grand final - but didn't see Clinton through the tears.

Here are some names for ya - "league expert"

Ryan Cross
Shannon Hegarty
Brett Finch (top Rooster)
Adrian Morely
And, even Ricketson - there are a few players who can do what he does (Glenn Morrison, Lance Thompson for example) but don't have the high profile support - strange for Thompson, given a few Dragons do

antonius

Coach
Willie Mason
John Morris, good player but he wasn't as big a loss as a lot of Knights fans make out.
Jason Stevens
Chris Walker
Brett Finch
Michael Vella
Nathan Blacklock

JJ

Immortal
antonius said:
Willie Mason
John Morris, good player but he wasn't as big a loss as a lot of Knights fans make out.
Jason Stevens
Chris Walker
Brett Finch
Michael Vella
Nathan Blacklock

Agree with all those - except Blacklock. A few people have named him, and I don't see why.

First, his try scoring record is phenomenal - so there's a reason to rate him.
His work rate in attack is sensational, he is constantly looking to inject himself, and/or back-up.
His defence is not as fragile as some would have us believe.

For all that though, he's only played a few rep games, no origin (that I can recall) and only played for Australia when a few players withdrew. He didn't make this Kangaroo tour when numerous players were out.

All that suggests to me that he's not that highly rated anyway - at least not by those who count - so what gives? He's not overrated

antonius

Coach
JJ said:
antonius said:
Willie Mason
Jason Stevens
Chris Walker
Brett Finch
Michael Vella
Nathan Blacklock

Agree with all those - except Blacklock. A few people have named him, and I don't see why.

His work rate in attack is sensational, he is constantly looking to inject himself, and/or back-up.

For all that though, he's only played a few rep games, no origin (that I can recall) and only played for Australia when a few players withdrew. He didn't make this Kangaroo tour when numerous players were out.

All that suggests to me that he's not that highly rated anyway - at least not by those who count - so what gives? He's not overrated

I don't doubt his try scoring ability, but time was whenever he was overlooked for rep duties people used to rant and rave how hard done by he was. My problem with him is his defence, one game last year he scored 3 against the Knights, but they ran 3 or 4 tries in around him, he just got caught out every time they ran to his wing, and the fact that 9 times out of ten he almost always submits in what look to be voluntary tackles, almost as if he's scared to get tackled. So when people scream he should be picked for rep footy, i think of those aspects of his game, and think no he's not that good.

JJ

Immortal
antonius said:
JJ said:
antonius said:
Willie Mason
Jason Stevens
Chris Walker
Brett Finch
Michael Vella
Nathan Blacklock

I don't doubt his try scoring ability, but time was whenever he was overlooked for rep duties people used to rant and rave how hard done by he was. My problem with him is his defence, one game last year he scored 3 against the Knights, but they ran 3 or 4 tries in around him, he just got caught out every time they ran to his wing, and the fact that 9 times out of ten he almost always submits in what look to be voluntary tackles, almost as if he's scared to get tackled. So when people scream he should be picked for rep footy, i think of those aspects of his game, and think no he's not that good.

Sounds fair enough to me - I like him though - he certainly makes the game exciting. I think he should have been selected ahead of Jason Moodie though - surely most would rate him higher than Moodie?

The Colonel

Immortal
JJ said:
I think he should have been selected ahead of Jason Moodie though - surely most would rate him higher than Moodie?

Moodie was a good dependable player and as much as I like him I just don't understand how he got picked for Origin when he did? I think it had something to do with the connection thing at the time - he and Hodgson worked well together and Lyon was in the team.

PARRA_FAN said:
(no order)

Phil Bailey
Andrew Johns
Jason Stevens
Steve Simpson
Joel Clinton

You obviously didnt watch the Grand Final or the Semi Finals that Penrith played in.

Or even the whole year.

Yeah, I did. He's got a big mouth and not much else.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
(no order)

Phil Bailey
Andrew Johns
Jason Stevens
Steve Simpson
Joel Clinton

Or even the whole year.

Yeah, I did. He's got a big mouth and not much else.

Oh yeah thats right I almost forgot you were a typical Rooster supporter, bag the Penrith players that beat your mob in the grand final. :roll: :lol:

Matt23

Staff member
Gee those grapes must be really sour by now...eh "renowned league expert" or is Cogburn in disguise?

JJ

Immortal
**DrAgOnS_gUrL** said:
R u for real?? Joel Clinton was one of the best front rowers of the season.

Indeed - question is why is he not in the test squad?

paulquinn49

Bench
i dont think clinton was one of the best props of the year, he was just in the right place at the right time. With that said he is still a good prop but he talks a good game making him look better. Webcke was the best prop by far this year.

JJ

Immortal
paulquinn49 said:
i dont think clinton was one of the best props of the year, he was just in the right place at the right time. With that said he is still a good prop but he talks a good game making him look better. Webcke was the best prop by far this year.

Clinton had a great season.

Best prop of the year - Luke Bailey, surely?
The Canberra props O'Hara and Davico were consistentlly good too - a major reason why Canberra did well this year

The Colonel

Immortal
paulquinn49 said:
Webcke was the best prop by far this year.

Judging on previous years performances he wasn't up to his usual level. He did however return to his best against the Kiwis. Steve Price would have been the best prop this year based on his consistency.

JJ

Immortal
Colonel Eel said:
paulquinn49 said:
Webcke was the best prop by far this year.

Judging on previous years performances he wasn't up to his usual level. He did however return to his best against the Kiwis. Steve Price would have been the best prop this year based on his consistency.

Steve Price is probably the most consistent player in the NRL (can't figure his tour omission - Kearns, Villasanti, and particularly Mason rated higher???)

But I still think Bailey was the years best prop. You're dead right about Webcke though, by his standards he wasn't outstanding, by everyone else's he still was.