What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most overrated player at your own club - current & all-time

Reflector

Juniors
My nominations for Newcastle are:

* All-time: Darius 'pot plant' Boyd. Came in on big money, but all he did was pass to his wingers. Except, of course, one week before Origin selections where he dug in and had a go. And I seem to recall he put 2-3 games in a row in one year. The last round, plus a Finals game or two.

Current: Our present Darius, Kalyn Ponga. Absolutely no doubting his speed, agility, and talent, but seems to phone it in most weeks before being a star of Origin. He's on too much money for the output he gives back at the moment.
Unfortunately none of the rest of the Knights are highly rated anymore, so KP's the obvious choice here.
How often has Ponga really starred at Origin, though?

The only games I can think of were his Origin debut in 2018 and this years' decider.

I’ll do a full team of overrated myths
1. Kaylyn Ponga
2. Darius Boyd
3. Zac lomax
4. Jarrod Croker
5. Nic Chotrich
6. Trent Barret
7. Trent Barret
8. Thomas Flogler
9. Reed Mahoney
10. David Klemmer
11. Elliot Whitehead
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. Braith Anastasia

14. Matthew Johns
15. Tarik Sims
16. David Williams
17. Shaun Johnson

coaches - Trent Barret / Mal Meninga / brad Fittler

mongoose

Coach
I’ll do a full team of overrated myths
1. Kaylyn Ponga
2. Darius Boyd
3. Zac lomax
4. Jarrod Croker
5. Nic Chotrich
6. Trent Barret
7. Trent Barret
8. Thomas Flogler
9. Reed Mahoney
10. David Klemmer
11. Elliot Whitehead
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. Braith Anastasia

14. Matthew Johns
15. Tarik Sims
16. David Williams
17. Shaun Johnson

coaches - Trent Barret / Mal Meninga / brad Fittler
I forgot about Whitehead. I think the Raiders fanbase are in agreement that he's way past his best but it seems the general RL community still think he's one of our best players lol He's an error prone, penalty machine these days...

JB04

Juniors
At my club - Adam Doueihi. Absolute myth. How he has the audacity to command $900k after two ACL's and some very sub-par performances is beyond me

Munky

Coach
At my club - Adam Doueihi. Absolute myth. How he has the audacity to command $900k after two ACL's and some very sub-par performances is beyond me

Because he's a 'footballer'.

Is he even NRL standard in any position?

MrBlack

Juniors
My nominations for Newcastle are:

* All-time: Darius 'pot plant' Boyd. Came in on big money, but all he did was pass to his wingers. Except, of course, one week before Origin selections where he dug in and had a go. And I seem to recall he put 2-3 games in a row in one year. The last round, plus a Finals game or two.

Current: Our present Darius, Kalyn Ponga. Absolutely no doubting his speed, agility, and talent, but seems to phone it in most weeks before being a star of Origin. He's on too much money for the output he gives back at the moment.
Unfortunately none of the rest of the Knights are highly rated anymore, so KP's the obvious choice here.
Not Fair - Any club that Darius played for is at a distinct advantage in this thread, because no mater how bad a player you think he is, you are still over rating him

Vee

First Grade
He can command whatever he likes, it's what the market pays that matters.

Latest posts