What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most quickly forgotten Grand Final ever?

Mr Saab

Referee
both 1996 and 1998 are remembered...how can you forget them!

1996 Manly won 20-8. There was also controversy when Ridge was "tackled" by Nathan Brown, but Manson said he wasnt and he continued to run. 2 tackles later Menzies scored.

1998...first NRL GF. Bronccos hammered the Dogs 28-0 in the 2nd half to win 38-12. Bulldogs played 2 extra time games vs the Knights and Eels to get there only to run out of gas at the end.

As for 2004 being "forgotten" what do you want? Do you want the print media to talk about the GF everyday???????? Its done and dusted. Same thing happens every yr

Raider_69

Post Whore
i knew manly won 96 but i cant remember for the life of me watching it or anything from that GF #-o

Mr Saab

Referee
i have all GFs on tape, but i dont really pull out the 1996 game and watch it as it was boring and i hate Manly.
GFs that i like watching would be 1989/90/91/92/95/98/04.
The others are either too boring, or i dont like the teams.

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider_69 said:
i watch the 94 one every few months
love that game :mrgreen:

i have watched that an easy 50-60 times. Love watching Osborne pass to Negas and he runs down the field stepping inside Scotty Wilson.
Also Mal hammering Lamb with his forarm!
Good thumping.
Brisbane went 2 points better in 1998 though :D

1994 = 36-12
1998 = 38-12

Raider_69

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:
Raider_69 said:
i watch the 94 one every few months
love that game :mrgreen:

i have watched that an easy 50-60 times. Love watching Osborne pass to Negas and he runs down the field stepping inside Scotty Wilson.
Also Mal hammering Lamb with his forarm!
Good thumping.
Brisbane went 2 points better in 1998 though :D

1994 = 36-12
1998 = 38-12

Osborne's includsion was a master stroke
he set up two tries and was killing them, love watching laurie sprint away for the corner as Wilson and co slide in a faction too late :D
And big mal giving Lamb what for then taking an intercept and giving mcCracken the big 'dont argue' in his farewell game

f**k it would be a top game, Canberra 94 V Brisbane 98
all bias aside, canberra would win by a fair margin ;-) :D

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider_69 said:

one of the greats.
but fair margin my a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

I would say Brisbane 22-18 or something like that.
Both teams had alot of strengths. Brisbanes backline was supreme though.

Lockyer vs Mullins
Sailor vs Noa
Renouf vs Wiki
D Smith vs Mal
Hancock/Devere vs Negas
Walters vs Daley
Langers vs Stuart
TC vs Croker
Tallis vs Clyde
Thorn vs Furner
Webcke vs Lomax/Osborne
Lee vs Walters (distinct adv there with Walters)
Gee vs Osborne

Mr Saab

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
Raider_69 said:

one of the greats.
but fair margin my a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

I would say Brisbane 22-18 or something like that.
Both teams had alot of strengths. Brisbanes backline was supreme though.

Lockyer vs Mullins
Sailor vs Noa
Renouf vs Wiki
D Smith vs Mal
Hancock/Devere vs Negas
Walters vs Daley
Langers vs Stuart
TC vs Croker
Tallis vs Clyde
Thorn vs Furner
Webcke vs Lomax/Osborne
Lee vs Walters (distinct adv there with Walters)
Gee vs Pongia

Raiders would win that game. Thats 1994 bRaiders side is the best club side I have ever seen.

Its not just a matter of looking at the big names, you have to remember the form they were in. Most were the the peak of their careers and those that wernt, were playing out of their skin.

Mr Saab

Referee
nospam49 said:
Raiders would win that game. Thats 1994 bRaiders side is the best club side I have ever seen.

Its not just a matter of looking at the big names, you have to remember the form they were in. Most were the the peak of their careers and those that wernt, were playing out of their skin.

and what? Brisbane 1998 were not at their peaks?
Every player was under 30 and at their peak.

Dog-E

Juniors
U want forgettable - take youer pick of any of the Broncos v Saints 'Snoooooooozeathons from the early 90's!!

I can tell you scores, winners & even most scorers from most of the 80's..even some of the 70's which was before my time!

But hit the early 90's and i deadset STRUGGLE to recall things when we hit that period of GF history!

My recall sparks up again in 1994...and I'm sweet from there - I even remember what happened in ARL/StupidLeague in the split season!

memories are relative Southern Saint...And St.George have most certainly provided their share of 'forgettable' deciders allright!...99 is actually quite honestly the only one i remember what happened...for obvious reasons!! :lol: :clap:

Mr Saab

Referee
Dog-E said:
U want forgettable - take youer pick of any of the Broncos v Saints 'Snoooooooozeathons from the early 90's!!

I can tell you scores, winners & even most scorers from most of the 80's..even some of the 70's which was before my time!

But hit the early 90's and i deadset STRUGGLE to recall things when we hit that period of GF history!

My recall sparks up again in 1994...and I'm sweet from there - I even remember what happened in ARL/StupidLeague in the split season!

are you serious?
how can you forget 1990/91/92?
Granted 1993 was boring as, but the other 3 were good. Brisbane hammered the Dragons 28-8 and some good tries were scored by the Broncos..Alan Cann and Renouf are notable tries.
1990/1991 were both great GFs

miketyson

Juniors
Yes 2000 , Was the worst grand final of the last 30 years by a mile..

96 was going to be a great game , 8-2 at half-time with manly throwing the kitchen sink at Saints in the first half and only going in with a 6 point lead .. Until manson decied to wreck it for everyone with what I rank as the worst decision I have ever seen in a grand final ..

The merkin .. :evil:

Mr Saab

Referee
miketyson said:
manson decied to wreck it for everyone with what I rank as the worst decision I have ever seen in a grand final ..

almost as bad as Hollywood Harrigans penalty on Bruce McGuire when he had the ball and used an offside raider as a shephard. Hollywood said it was not in the "spirit of the game" :roll:

Canberra scored on the next set and the game changed.

Greenblooded

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
miketyson said:
manson decied to wreck it for everyone with what I rank as the worst decision I have ever seen in a grand final ..

almost as bad as Hollywood Harrigans penalty on Bruce McGuire when he had the ball and used an offside raider as a shephard. Hollywood said it was not in the "spirit of the game" :roll:

Canberra scored on the next set and the game changed.

Mate we were coming home on a wet sail well before that. :lol:

Dog-E

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
are you serious?
how can you forget 1990/91/92?
Granted 1993 was boring as, but the other 3 were good. Brisbane hammered the Dragons 28-8 and some good tries were scored by the Broncos..Alan Cann and Renouf are notable tries.
1990/1991 were both great GFs

DEADLY serious...boring as b@tshit for the neutral observer!

Which I guess is the point here - 'boring' is allllllllll relative! Which makes this thread a somewhat pointless one, son;t you think?!

Of COURSE you remember it though Charlie!...You're a Broncos fan! :oops: But me?...I dont even remember ONE 'great' try of which you speak!...I saw the Pearl score MANY fine tries that i remember...however not ONE of them is from a St. george v brincos GF!

And believe me - at the time - I watched all 80mins of ALL those games! ;-)