What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most quickly forgotten Grand Final ever?

Mr Saab

Referee
Dog-E said:
DEADLY serious...boring as b@tshit for the neutral observer!

Which I guess is the point here - 'boring' is allllllllll relative! Which makes this thread a somewhat pointless one, son;t you think?!

Of COURSE you remember it though Charlie!...You're a Broncos fan! :oops: But me?...I dont even remember ONE 'great' try of which you speak!...I saw the Pearl score MANY fine tries that i remember...however not ONE of them is from a St. george v brincos GF!

And believe me - at the time - I watched all 80mins of ALL those games! ;-)

you didnt watch them close enough.
I am a broncos fan yes, but i remember every GF i have seen.
Surely you can recall Walford chasing Renouf in the 1992 GF?

Dog-E

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
Dog-E said:
DEADLY serious...boring as b@tshit for the neutral observer!

Which I guess is the point here - 'boring' is allllllllll relative! Which makes this thread a somewhat pointless one, son;t you think?!

Of COURSE you remember it though Charlie!...You're a Broncos fan! :oops: But me?...I dont even remember ONE 'great' try of which you speak!...I saw the Pearl score MANY fine tries that i remember...however not ONE of them is from a St. george v brincos GF!

And believe me - at the time - I watched all 80mins of ALL those games! ;-)

you didnt watch them close enough.
I am a broncos fan yes, but i remember every GF i have seen.
Surely you can recall Walford chasing Renouf in the 1992 GF?

I rememebr Ricky Walford well...and indeed many of his exploits - but again, Nope, sorry - I just don't recall the incident u speak of!? :?

Renouf wouldnt have had too much to worry aboiut from Ricky in the deadset SPEEED department by THAt stage of his career though, surely, from what I remember of both players!??

Those GF's really WERE forgettable affairs - on the whole - for me I'm afraid - one or two individual incidents aside!

It's probably fair enough to say that of the 04 decider as well!...Though it DID go down to about the last 30 seconds' and Ryan's superman effort to skittle Crocker JUST b4 he slid thru that gap!

I remember 89 with GREAT fondness - one of, if not THE best decider I've ever seen since being alive for sheer DRAMA & excitement! Even as a NEUTRAL I can still recognise this as the best...I also remember well Penrith & the Roycey Simmons fairytale back in 91!...The early 90's are not an ENTIRE wipeout to me - it's just that 92/93 are a deadset blur though!..Well done to the broncos & all - no doubt they were a top class side, and deserved those wins...but they were NOT good games - when all is said & done!

Mr Saab

Referee
Dog-E said:
I rememebr Ricky Walford well...and indeed many of his exploits - but again, Nope, sorry - I just don't recall the incident u speak of!? :?

Renouf wouldnt have had too much to worry aboiut from Ricky in the deadset SPEEED department by THAt stage of his career though, surely, from what I remember of both players!??

It's probably fair enough to say that of the 04 decider as well!...Though it DID go down to about the last 30 seconds' and Ryan's superman effort to skittle Crocker JUST b4 he slid thru that gap!

As a matter of Fact Walford caught up to Renouf in the final 5m after an 80m chase and Renouf had a flying start on Walford who had to turn and chase.
2004 wasnt the greatest of GFs with all the dropped ball..BUT...it was 16-13 with 24 min to go and either team could have won. It was very nerve racking watching it as i hate the chooks and couldnt handle it if they won.

Dog-E

Juniors
Heheh! He did better than I'd have expected then!!

Ricky Walford had some looooong legs...but Renouf had a tipitop V-12 Rolls Royce motor under the hood!...Power AND pace - an awesome combo!

Mr Saab

Referee
Dog-E said:

Ricky Walford had some looooong legs...but Renouf had a tipitop V-12 Rolls Royce motor under the hood!...Power AND pace - an awesome combo!

renouf was quick, but only overly quick of 50-60. He wouldnt outpace a billy slater/scott donald over 100

Just for your info the term POWER = strength + speed.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:
Raider_69 said:
f**k it would be a top game, Canberra 94 V Brisbane 98
all bias aside, canberra would win by a fair margin ;-) :D

one of the greats.
but fair margin my a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

I would say Brisbane 22-18 or something like that.
Both teams had alot of strengths. Brisbanes backline was supreme though.

Lockyer vs Mullins
Sailor vs Noa
Renouf vs Wiki
D Smith vs Mal
Hancock/Devere vs Negas
Walters vs Daley
Langers vs Stuart
TC vs Croker
Tallis vs Clyde
Thorn vs Furner
Webcke vs Lomax/Osborne
Lee vs Walters (distinct adv there with Walters)
Gee vs Osborne

looks pretty even, I think our halves are a tad better, Stuart- Langer all but cancel each other out, but Daley had it on Walters, the backline is also pretty much split, Sailor beats noa but Nagas beats your other winger, Pearl beats wiki IN CENTRE (back row is another matter :twisted: ) but Mal floggs Smith, and the hooker we smash it in, your front rowers get us thou, Lamax was good but Ossie really only played one top notch game (94 grandfinal as it were :D)

Would have been a f**kin great game to watch, canberra would of just nipped them cause of the play making options ;-) :D

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider_69 said:
looks pretty even, I think our halves are a tad better, Stuart- Langer all but cancel each other out, but Daley had it on Walters, the backline is also pretty much split, Sailor beats noa but Nagas beats your other winger, Pearl beats wiki IN CENTRE (back row is another matter :twisted: ) but Mal floggs Smith, and the hooker we smash it in, your front rowers get us thou, Lamax was good but Ossie really only played one top notch game (94 grandfinal as it were :D)

Would have been a f***in great game to watch, canberra would of just nipped them cause of the play making options ;-) :D

i will admit i was more a fan of Daley/Stuart than Walters/Langer, but i still think they pretty much cancel each other out.
Sailor beats noa and Mick Hancock beats Nagas. People have short memories as to how good Hancock was in his prime.
Brisbane are better in the backrow and Props.
Hooker is the only place the Raiders are truly truly dominate.
Dont underestimate D Smith. He was a good centre for the Broncos in 1998 and could handle Mal...even though Mal was a sensational centre.

Brisbane 22-18!

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
Raider_69 said:

Would have been a f***in great game to watch, canberra would of just nipped them cause of the play making options ;-) :D

i will admit i was more a fan of Daley/Stuart than Walters/Langer, but i still think they pretty much cancel each other out.
Sailor beats noa and Mick Hancock beats Nagas. People have short memories as to how good Hancock was in his prime.
Brisbane are better in the backrow and Props.
Hooker is the only place the Raiders are truly truly dominate.
Dont underestimate D Smith. He was a good centre for the Broncos in 1998 and could handle Mal...even though Mal was a sensational centre.

Brisbane 22-18!

It is all about personal choice, I hated Wendell Sailor "does anyone know the Illawarra Story very funny" and Hancock didn't do much through my eyes whilst Noa and Nagas would carve teams up on the back of such a backline and Stuarts superior ability to use all 13 players, Daley had the apparent experience of a 40 year old into his 19th year when he played, whilst as you said Smith "maybe" could handle Mal but no more than Canberra's Noa and Nagas could handle their opposite men.

In Brisbane it would be 18-16 to Brisbane

In Canberra it would be Canberra 34-12

Such were the match ups of the past

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd say the WORST grand final would be any grand final the Roosters won! especially 2002, when I did not even watch the game! :roll:

Dog-E

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
Dog-E said:

renouf was quick, but only overly quick of 50-60. He wouldnt outpace a billy slater/scott donald over 100

Just for your info the term POWER = strength + speed.

OK, thanks....here's one 4u then - Energy = Mass x Velocity - Squared!

Renouf also had a lot of THOSE too! ;-)

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
I really can't believe you people at all.
How could you even say that any GF was boring?
Man for me it's the biggest and best game of the year and a fitting reward to the final victors.
Less entertaining yes, but never can it be said that ANY GF is boring!

bartman

Immortal
nospam49 said:
The 1997 Super League Grand Final would have to be the least rememberd.

Exactly. Didn't watch a game of that all year, so didn't know or care when that GF was. And wasn't it announced before the SL GF that they were coming back to the fold to form the NRL the next year anyway? Even less reason to care about a game that meant nothing in the wider scheme of things... (sorry Bronco fans, you had no choice but to support it).

Greenblooded

Juniors
I have watched all the Grand Finals live since 1988, but the Super League Grand Final is the only one that I can't remember at all. Mind you I thought the ARL comp was sh**thouse as well but the end of the GF was memorable.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
I thought the 2004 GF wasnt too bad, went right down to the wire

Although there were a hell of a lot of mistakes!!!!

Except for the kiwi contigent

Aussies cant play in the rain :lol: :lol: :lol: