What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies You Dont Understand Why Everyone Raves About Them

Apey

Staff member
This is exactly what he was talking about. Saying that comedy you like is 'clever', while implying other people's comedy is stupid.

To be fair, there is comedy that relies on wit and clever writing and then there is comedy that relies on toilet/shock humour and random noises/comments.

A Beautiful Mind

Good Will Hunting sh*ts all over it IMO

I liked both... but yeah, I prefer Good Will Hunting.

Lambretta

First Grade
Blade Runner

f**king sh*t

Whoooaahhh there mate

I know this is a thread about not understanding things, but I feel that the thread could do with some explanations.

Before Blade Runner came out, Science Fiction basically pointed to a happy or glorious future where good triumphs over evil and science will solve all our problems. Look at Star Trek or the Jetsons for ideas of what was provided. Blade Runner showed that the future could be a living nightmare and it was a pioneering film for that reason.

A better review explaining the movie in detail and the meanings behind the film can be found on IMDb... see below

A truly magnificent movie if you come to understand the deeper meanings of the film......
User Reviews

(Review this title)
368 out of 464 people found the following review useful.
A compelling, thematically-deep SF film, 5 March 2002
100.gif

Author: Joel Hoff (joelhoff) from USA.

This is truly one of the greatest science fiction films ever made, one that requires a thinking viewer in order to understand and appreciate it. The director's cut is the recommended one to see as it omits a somewhat distracting narration and avoids an unnecessary Hollywood-style ending that is at odds with the rest of the film's tone.

A true science fiction story or film is about ideas, not spaceship battles, futuristic gadgets, or weird creatures. "Blade Runner" fully qualifies as this in its examination of the impact of technology on human society, existence, and the very nature of humanity itself. These themes are set in a fairly basic detective story that moves slowly but gradually builds power as the viewer is immersed in a dystopian futuristic Los Angeles.

Harrison Ford fans accustomed to the normally dynamic roles that he plays may be dissatisfied with the seemingly lifeless lead character that he portrays here as the replicant-hunting detective known as a "blade runner". They should be, for this dissatisfaction is part of the film experience, part of the dehumanized existence in the story's setting. However, as the story unfolds, we see Ford's character, Rick Deckard, slowly come alive again and recover some humanity while pursing four escaped replicants.

The replicants, genetically-engineered human cyborgs, that Deckard must hunt down and kill are in many ways more alive than Deckard himself initially. Their escape from an off-world colony has an explicit self-directed purpose, whereas Deckard's life appears to have none other than his job, one that he has tried to give up. By some standards, Deckard and the replicants have thin character development. However, this is a deeply thematic and philosophical film, and as such the characters are the tools of the story's themes. Each character reflects some aspect of humanity or human existence, but they lack others, for each is broken in ways that reflect the broken society in which they live and were conceived/created.

There are several dramatic moments involving life-and-death struggles, but most of these are more subdued than in a normal detective story plot. The film's power is chiefly derived through its stunning visual imagery of a dark futuristic cityscape and its philosophical themes.

Among the themes explored are the following: - The dehumanization of people through a society shaped by technological and capitalistic excess. - The roles of creator and creation, their mutual enslavement, and their role reversal, i.e., the creation's triumph over its creator. - The nature of humanity itself: emotions, memory, purpose, desire, cruelty, technological mastery of environment and universe, mortality, death, and more. - Personal identity and self-awareness. - The meaning of existence.

If you are not someone who naturally enjoys contemplating such themes, the film's brilliance may be lost on you. The climax involves a soliloquy that brings many of the themes together in a simple yet wonderfully poetic way. Anyone who "gets" the film should be moved by this; others will sadly miss the point and may prefer watching some mindless action flick instead.

"Blade Runner" is a masterpiece that deserves recognition and long remembrance in film history.

Shorty

Staff member
Anyone said Brokeback Mountain yet? "BUT THEY'RE GAY! GAY COWBOYS!" f**k off. The movie was slower than Jeff Fenech, Heath Ledger talked like he was snowballing the entire film, and it was a bog standard romance that people would've railed against if they hadn't been a man-on-man romance.

The scenery and Anne Hathaway's breasts are the only two things good about it.
I suppose if it had heterosexual counterparts it would have been a niche movie, just as it is anyway.
But yes, the beginning and the end are not bad but the middle seems to just drag.
Dark Knight = crap.
I don't give the movies themselves much credit, I was made to watch Begins and I almost fell asleep in it.
I get what the idea was, a hardcore lookin' superhero...but it's just been done too many times.

Anybody who doesn't rate Ledger's performance in Dark Knight, however, has some issues.
He was absolutely fantastic and I found myself being bored in scenes without him.

Harry Potter - I've watched and read the Twilight , while it's terribly written and extremely teeniboppic there is some degree of clever fantasy.
I never once believed that Harry Potter could be real or that the geeky little boy could be anything.

Transformer movies - For some reason these simple action flicks are treated above what it really is.I blame Megan Fox.

Little Miss Sunshine - Don't get me wrong it's a cute and effective movie but the plot was all over the place and rather weak.

Spiderman movies - See above for Transformers.

Borat - Ugh, this is an awful movie.

simmo1

First Grade
To be fair, there is comedy that relies on wit and clever writing and then there is comedy that relies on toilet/shock humour and random noises/comments.

IMO, 'clever' comedy is comedy which makes me LOL. This will vary for different people, so I don't think you can label one style of comedy as being clever and another as being dumb.

Thomas

First Grade
i didnt laugh out loud at all during the hangover.. wasnt even that funny.

Are you serious?

I mean it wasn't the most clever movie ever made but it had some golden moments. Zack Galifinakis (Allan) made the movie. Without him it would have been a bit lacklustre but I laughed hard throughout the whole flick.

"You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two of us in the wolf pack... I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "Wait a second, could it be?" And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast! "

Gambling? Who said anything about gambling? It's not gambling when you know you're gonna win. Counting cards is a foolproof system.

It's also illegal.

It's not illegal, it's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal too.

Yeah, maybe after 9/11, where everybody got so sensitive. Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

Lambretta

First Grade
yeah.. i didnt like the thin red line.. thought it was crap.

The Thin Red Line was another of those brilliantly made movies, that was painful to sit through.... and that was the point.

When most people ask old soliders what war was actually like a common response was "a lot of sitting round waiting to die".

The Thin Red Line, brilliantly captured that sense of endlessly waiting for something to happen and then when it did all hell broke loose and people died all over the place. Then it was back to sitting around for hours and hours waiting for something else to happen.

In that respect, it captured what war was like far better than Platoon - but hell was it ever boring to sit through.

Lambretta

First Grade
District 9 - generic and formulaic.

Congratulations on spelling both words correctly - now go look up the meanings :p

District 9 was an excellent allegory both on racism and the nature of humanity and was anything but formulaic.

The "hero" was a racist, self centred prick, the same as everyone around him. The quote below comes when they search the Alien camp and decide on the spot to murder a whole batch of unborn Alien children that they find:

Quote:
Wikus Van De Merwe: [giving an Alien reproductive apparatus to co-worker] Here, you can take that, you want to keep that, as a souvenir of your first abortion, ay. You can feel like you've done one of these too.
Thomas: [beaming] Thanks, boss!

The following quote comes when our "hero" knows he is sick and needs to negotiate with the Aliens to save his own sorry f**king arse. Even then his racism beams out strongly

Wikus Van De Merwe: What is he saying about the fuel, is this, are you trying to start this thing? He-he. Are you little fookers trying to start this, and get away, ay?
Christopher Johnson: Never mind.
Wikus Van De Merwe: Ha-ha. Yeah, you sneaky fookin' prawns, heh? I knew you Prawns were intelligent.
Christopher Johnson: Too bad. I could have fixed you.
Wikus Van De Merwe: Wha- well well wha what did you say about-about the *fixing*?

The movie highlighted the bad side of humanity and whilst it used a few cliches it never went into hero stops racism and saves the World, which a formulaic Hollywood movie would have done. The ending was not resolved and it left the viewer to look at humanity and recognise in ourselves the things we do that really in all truth should disgust us. Greed, hatred and mistrust are not positive things.

I hope to f**k they don't spoil it all by making a sequel.

Lambretta

First Grade
Also I don't get how movies like Bulworth and Wag the Dog are virtually unheard of these movies should have cult followings they f**king own.

Both these movies were critically acclaimed upon release.

They deserve to have a 2nd airing as they're very clever commentaries on the American Political system.

Right - now it's my admission for movies I didn't get that everyone else raved about

There's something about Mary

Personally I thought it should have been called "there's something wrong with our script writers - (working title) they appear to have had labotomies".

Every joke was thin and you could see them coming a mile off and then they were stretched well beyond braking point and dragged out until long after they had died in agony.

It would have been slightly more amusing if both characters had spontaneously combusted (in real life).

I got to the end of the film purely because I thought the person I was watching it with was enjoying it and I felt it was rude to walk out. It turns out that they hated it and thought I was enjoying it (f**k knows why I didnt laugh once). Absolute f**king garbage and it was so popular it spawned a whole generation of terrible, unfunny "comedies" such as Scary Movie and their ilk. I wish death upon the creators and anyone else involved in the project.

Phillips

Referee
Anybody who doesn't rate Ledger's performance in Dark Knight, however, has some issues.
He was absolutely fantastic and I found myself being bored in scenes without him.

i dont have issues, i just think his performance was sh*t.. probably because he wasnt a very good actor.

Fein

First Grade
i dont have issues, i just think his performance was sh*t.. probably because he wasnt a very good actor.

I didn't mind him as an actor and I thought his performance in Dark Knight was pretty good but not good enough for an Academy Award nomination.

I'd argue that if didn't die he would not have won it, as controversial statement as that may be.

Regardless of his performance though, the movie was totally sh*te IMHO.

People were going on about his performance being by far the best in history of cinemas.
As Fein said though, his death added to the hype of it all.

Bman26

Juniors
Transformers 1 & 2 - Optimus Prime does not have lips

Exampl 1: Cartoon Series

optimus-prime.jpg

Example 2: Action Figure

51mh-5Nfx7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Fail 1: Here he is with a Mouth and LIPS WTF

transformers-2-revenge-of-the-fallen-optimus-prime.jpg

Second problem: Matrix of Leadership

Example: Real matrix looks and works like this

RodMatrix.jpg