What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muay Thai

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
brendothejet said:
As a note to my above post, and relevant to this forum, I thought I'd propose this situation:

Your out on the footy field and a scrum packs down. as the forwards lock heads someone is heard to say to the opposing hooker, "so did your mum tech you how to play, or is she a different kind of hooker?"

end result its on for young and old.

Now as the pack splits and blokes line each other up who is gonna be the mincy nice person to start karate chopping blokes?
In Muay Thai, you don't just learn "karate chops." For the short time I learned it, we looked fairly extensively at how to throw a punch properly. So if you ever are in the situation where you need to throw a punch, you are that bit better off for knowing how to throw a good punch rather than an ordinary punch.

What Dilmah says about a good punch flooring even the very good martial artists is true, but fails to recognise that there are more eventualities than just copping it randomly. Martial arts won't help in some situations, but they will help in others.

RABK

Referee
Also i think a few on here will agree with me here, nothing like throwing on a crippler crossface or boston crab once you get your opponent down. watch them scream for their mums, ahhh wrestling. :LOL: Though i did only do those moves through high school it worked a charm. :)

TiTTieS said:
That's a bit unfair, Dilmah. Really what I was saying is that you would be better off knowing self defence than not knowing it. Sure, you won't have much if you are facing a pack on yur own, but one on one you stand a much better chance. Surely you can't deny that?

It may also instill a false sense of confidence which may lead to getting your head kicked in when you should have been using your best 2 weapons - feet!

Running away is always the best option for your average joe blow.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Red and Blue Knight said:
A lot of people tell me boxing could have been right up my alley, my dad got the same when he was younger.

My reflexes and my hand high coordination are both excellent so i've never had any real trouble in fights. For an average sized guy i'm also pretty damn strong and if i connect my opponent rarely gets up. I've mastered the technique of getting my full power into a punch.

I can take a lot of punishment too, i think i have a steel coated skull. Drop a brick on my head, watch me shrug my shoulders. Watch me stub my toe on a rock and i'll curse a blue moon. :lol:

I normally take a bit of punishment, size up my opponent...wait for an oppurtunity then bam... connect with a well timed one on the bridge of the nose. Though sometimes and i don't like admitting this, i can go extremely agro and run in throwing a flurry of lefts, rights and uppercuts though like i said before, i know how to punch.

Alas, i'd still get my ass handed to me by a high level martial artists one on one. The blokes know every trick in the book and time everything to perfection. Though like a few have said, all it takes is one real good punch to floor most people.

Though i've been in mnay fights i've never really had my ass kicked like, left as a pulp on the ground. Though i have been stabbed twice.

*starts a sing-along*

There goes my hero... WATCH HIM AS HE GOES!

Raider_69

Post Whore
not wrong dilly, gets a good work out with me and my mates, particually with security at panthers

brendothejet

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
*starts a sing-along*

There goes my hero... WATCH HIM AS HE GOES!

Raider69,

For all our stoushes this time you are bang on the f**ken nail!

I'm sorry but you must be pretty hectic to come on here and talk about getting stabbed and how your a mad street fighter.

Can you do a sonic boom like Ken?

Or are you from Mortal Kombat?

brendothejet

First Grade
hence the usage..

Seriously this thread is becoming

"well i once caught a fish thisssssssssssssss big"

Who cares who you beat up, who cares that your best friends cousin twice removed has a green belt. Its all irrelevant.

Make sex, not love.

RABK

Referee
brendothejet said:
Raider69,

For all our stoushes this time you are bang on the f**ken nail!

I'm sorry but you must be pretty hectic to come on here and talk about getting stabbed and how your a mad street fighter.

Can you do a sonic boom like Ken?

Or are you from Mortal Kombat?

No, just mentioned that i can hold my own. I'm from mortal kombat, the bloke who freezes stuff.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Self-defence?

Easy - judo.

Seriously, I did 3 years of it and while I won't say it made me an ass-kicking machine (as you may know, judo is STRICTLY defensive), it really teaches you how to position your body to take kicks, punches and effect throws and that.

brendothejet

First Grade
red and blue - SubZero (i.e your I.Q)

Eelementary,

say nobody learnt how to punch or kick and didnt go around with their body as a loaded gun would you need self defence? nope.

and before anyone says fitness, you dont need to punch someone to run around the block.

brendothejet

First Grade
CDF's wrap of you was spot on.

no starch. :D

Enough squabbling but. TFC is where that sh*t gets done.

Its really nothing personal but i just dont get the point in learning how to beat someone up....

RABK

Referee
brendothejet said:
CDF's wrap of you was spot on.

no starch. :D

Enough squabbling but. TFC is where that sh*t gets done.

Its really nothing personal but i just dont get the point in learning how to beat someone up....

Well i grew up in a real rough place, i was literally in a fight every week. So it was a matter of, cop the beatings or give as good as you got.

And are you kidding, in this day and age knowing how to look after yourself could very well save your life or a friends one day.

Latest posts