What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud guts Connelly has a dig

Brutus

Referee
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/why-bother-with-league-world-cup/2008/11/15/1226318997030.html

Why bother with league world cup

John Connolly | November 16, 2008

With league and the AFL yearning to be world games, rugby is already there. A hundred countries play it. That's the real meaning of global. I don't know why league bothers with a World Cup. The code is trying to be something it's not. It's Australia versus Australia. But one lesson rugby might take from the NRL is having coaches involved in decision-making. Every time the NRL has a forum, as it did this week, officials leave having made definite moves forward. The same cannot be said for the IRB's meetings.

The question is why bother having a dig at the league world cup in your intro mud guts if it has no relevance to the rest of your article? They just can't help themselves. Of course union people do not want RL to have a world cup because it only serves to boost league internationally, particularly in the pacific.

Mud guts needs to understand that league, while not having a huge global presence, is still an international game. Australian can play genuine internationals against countries who play the game. To lump RL in with AFL is ludicrous.

Loudstrat

Coach
Just because there was never a yawnion team as skilful as the Kangaroos.

Of maybe they are jealous because the Wobblies are playing somewhere, and the PNG and Fijian league sides are generating 10 times the interest in Australia. And more people are enjoying the constant Poms spanking in league than whatever is happening in Yawnion.

colly

Juniors
knuckles is coaching big sob sonny in france, i think knuckles was a good of coach as was jones, allen, but jonesy was better coaching the rabbits

Cheezel

Juniors
Connelly and Fitzsimons take every opportunity to lay the boot into league's international game.

I think it shows how fearful they are of the RL World Cup growing over the next 20 years.

This World Cup has been a great success already. Only disapointments were England and France. Other nations punched above their weight.

Now the RLIF should have some money to develop the game in minnow nations. If I was the RLIF I would making sure they keep the momentum going in Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG. The Pacific Cup is a great start and I like the Idea of having and Australia A and New Zealand A team involved.

The ARL need to keep on building up the Kangaroo brand and educate the Australian public that the game is bigger then just Australia. If they can do this next time Australia host a World Cup they will sellout most games.

People have already been surprised by the quality of games played by the minnow nations. If anyone watched the Rugby over the weekend you can plainly see League is more entertaining by a long shot! :D

El Diablo

Post Whore
its funny how Fitzf**kwit keeps saying nobody cares about the RLWC yet he never stops talking about it

its called fear

Noa

First Grade
Every yawnion article this fool writes has a league mention in it.

roopy

Referee
I can remember when the Union WC was no bigger than the League WC is now, and it wasn't that long ago.
Added to that, TV has boomed around the world, so ours is going to grow much quicker than their's did.

its classic union delusion about how big their game actually is.

It never ceases to amuse me how union types think their game is a huge interntational sport.

I love how connelly says union is played in over 100 countries :lol:

he obviously didnt hear that 97% of people that watched the last union world cup final came from , NZ , Aus , south africa , france , britain & Ireland. Those countries have a combined population of around 160 million people. Yeah huge international sport you have there john :lol:

RL1908

Bench
I've been thinking about this for a while, and now I'm ready to rant...

Those saying RL should give up on internationals and stick to club footy alone are completely at odds with RL having been played as an international game since Jan 1908 - that's 100 years of international RL being an integral and high profile part of the game, and no secret to anyone reading a newspaper, listening to radio or watching tv.

What logic possesses these critics to offer up that after 100 years of internationals, RL should suddenly need to revert to solely a club competition?

It reeks a bit of telling RL to "get back in your box" or "you people ought to know your place - and stay there."

What possesses people in other sports to simply denigrate another sport for simply celebrating and enjoying itself on the playing field, is beyond me.

In all walks of life in our country we are encouraged to celebrate our origins, our uniqueness, our heritage. If we go to a park or a restaurant and find a group of people sharing and celebrating in their culture, no one dares to say a bloody word against them. Does anyone say anything against them? Does anyone shout from the nearest street corner that these people over there should know their limitations and should immediately stop enjoying themselves?

Fair dinkum, if these critics against RL did the same thing to an individual or a group in the street they would be the ones "put back in their box" and told to shut up.

It's not ok to abuse individuals and groups in our country when they are out celebrating and enjoying their culture and customs, but if RL does it, they feel free to fire off whatever abuse and denigration that they see fit.

It's fair enough to be critical of a sport and attack it in the media for a myriad of reasons (I've done it) - but to attack a sport for its people simply playing, enjoying and revelling in their sport, is (albeit a cliche) bloody unAustralian.

Last edited:

Thomas

First Grade
This smells of some liberal editing from someone...

The article title is "Why bother with league world cup" yet apart from 1 paragraph, the article is actually about the IRB, rule changes etc. Nothing to do with the RLWC.

I dare say this is just a ploy to get hits on their webpage...and its working.

ucantseeme

Juniors
It's funny how so many articles about other codes mention RL. Whereas RL articles are totally focused on RL.

It's like the writers are typing some wankpiece about their game whilst thinking about RL then it just spills into the article. This would be a good thing if it wasn't always negative.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
I can remember when the Union WC was no bigger than the League WC is now, and it wasn't that long ago.
Added to that, TV has boomed around the world, so ours is going to grow much quicker than their's did.

The only flaw in your argument is that in that time the Rugby World CUp has become a huge world event (and there has only been 6 of them) whereas the RLW has occured since the mid 50's and has not got any better. We keep saying that it will get better next time, but, take ALL emotion out of it and speak with your head, not heart, can do you really thing the RLWC will get much bigger?
If the event is hosted in another country next time around, what will be the figures both crowd and TV? Really, ask your self this unemotionally. Reality will unveil itself to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts