What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullen's kicking game

K-Man

Bench
How do you think he rates compared to all other NRL playmakers?

I am pretty tired of hearing about his incredible short kicking game. To me is only average. Every now and then he has a decent game with the boot, but efforts like last night are all too common.

The Raiders scored all their tries from kicks and generally kicked well all night, whilst Jarrod continually blew our chances at their end of the field with his lack of control and accuracy.

Was it just a bad game? Or do you think his kicking game is rather overrated generally?

Spot On

Coach
I've already posted a number of times on this subject. Mullen's kicking game can be very good one week then crap the next four. Please no more origin talk, no more media build up, no more endorsements from Johns. This bloke must become consistently "good" (not consistently unconsistent) if this team is to go forward in the next few seasons. He isn't a rookie anymore.

Big Tim

First Grade
Every time I said that the ball had to go up, it went along the ground, and every time I said that we had to get the ball in behind the line, up goes a chip.

I dont know if that says something about our kicking game, or the way I see the game....

Jono078

Referee
I've been bagging his 'attacking' kicking game since last season. Aku cops flack for not learning quick enough, what about Mullen?

His kicking game when we're in our own 50 is usually quite decent, he will find open space and get a good result most times.

But once we're in the opponents 50 it will be rubbish besides for 1 kick a game.

Frustrates the hell out of me. It's one reason im a fan of having Dureau in the team, not because he's that much better at kicking, it just takes more pressure off of Mullen. But i'm over Dureau now, i've seen he doesn't have what it takes to be a fulltime NRL halfback.

And I hate how not enough halves get the ball rolling in goal instead of blasting the thing and watching it bounce end over end.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah consistancy is his biggest issue, good long boot, great technique but it aint all about just kicking the ball well. I think Thurston has the best kicking game in the league. He kicks and chases into the corner so well to put pressure on oppostions all game. Love that kinda footy!

perverse

Referee
i think his kicking game is below the level required for an NRL halfback.

i think his running and passing games are sublime, exceptional... and right up there with the best of them.

murraymob

Coach
mullen should use one kick only this week bomb all night.Sammut should not even be in our side.Bomb him all night tries will come

K-Man

Bench
I've been bagging his 'attacking' kicking game since last season. Aku cops flack for not learning quick enough, what about Mullen?

His kicking game when we're in our own 50 is usually quite decent, he will find open space and get a good result most times.

But once we're in the opponents 50 it will be rubbish besides for 1 kick a game.

Frustrates the hell out of me. It's one reason im a fan of having Dureau in the team, not because he's that much better at kicking, it just takes more pressure off of Mullen. But i'm over Dureau now, i've seen he doesn't have what it takes to be a fulltime NRL halfback.

And I hate how not enough halves get the ball rolling in goal instead of blasting the thing and watching it bounce end over end.

Oh don't get me started on that last part. It is ridiculously frustrating to watch.

I know that playing in front of 15,000 people and with a line of NRL defenders coming towards you is not exactly the same as having a kick around in the park with mates or playing against rubbish opposition, but honestly getting a ball to roll into the in-goal area is NOT that difficult.

I can't believe how often it goes flying over the dead bal line and smashing into the advertising.

Rolling the ball along its side and getting it to bobble around in random directions and heights is more dangerous anyway.

Mullen is pretty ordinary at it, and so are a quite a few others.

I think the Raiders proved how effective a higher quality short kicking game can be - it basically won them the match.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Mullo's kicking game could be used as an advertisement for the team - consistently inconsistent, but in saying that, as a whole, I don't think it's that bad ...

roopy

Referee
You know who puts up bombs that bring snow? Cory Paterson.
I've only seen him do it a few times, but they go into low orbit when he kicks them.

Pika

Bench
Patto has a monster boot.

I find it no surprise that Mullos kicking has started to get worse over the last few months.

Despite newspaper reports claiming the amazing work of Andrew Johns on our kickers, the reality is our kicking coach, Damien Hill has worked miracles with Patto, Mullo (who is actually a poor kicker but improving), Dodge, Hilder, DeGois and Scott.

The reason Mullo has been dropping off is because Damien has been in the US teaching NFL players to kick.

Incredible if you can get your head around it.

Our resident bus driving Knights Coach kick coach gets paid peanuts by the Knights and gets called in 'every now and again', yet gets flown over in the NFL off season and put up in sweet Motels and paid solid coin.....

and here is Joey in the papers credited with Mullos and Gids success every time they get a decent kick away.

antonius

Coach
I've already posted a number of times on this subject. Mullen's kicking game can be very good one week then crap the next four. Please no more origin talk, no more media build up, no more endorsements from Johns. This bloke must become consistently "good" (not consistently unconsistent) if this team is to go forward in the next few seasons. He isn't a rookie anymore.
I can honestly say I've never seen a complete game where Mullen has kicked consistantly. I tend to think he has the odd couple of good kicks in a game and the rest of them rate from ordinary to bloody abysmal. Pretty much like Kidley. Sorry to say (to all his knockers) that Dureau really is the only player we have that kicks consistantly well in a game, Luke Walsh (as is evidanced at the Panthers) has a very good kicking game, however I would say he is very poor defensively as well. Very hard to get the complete package in a half (as we are finding out)

Karmawave

Bench
I think Mullens kicking game gets more criticism than it deserves.

Sure it can be inconsistent at times, but a few of you guys look at poor kicks too much, and don't focus on the quality work he does off the boot.

Scott Prince and JT don't get their kicking right every single time, and they're the seen as the best halfbacks the game has at the moment.

Kimmorley is probably the best at execution, but it helps that he has a decade of experience on Mullen.

Jarrod Mullens kicking game will be fine.

I think he is unfairly criticised about it, because I've seen him win us games with deft touch off the boot. ( A try the other night off his boot was all skill )

I don't put his poor kicking down to not having the ABILITY to kick well, but just a consequence of what has been some indifferent form in general.

He has been hot and cold for months form wise, and his kicking game reflects it.

When he is on song, his kicking game is fine, and thats all that matters really.

So end this Mullen ' cant kick ' bullsh*t , because its a crock of crap from fans who clearly can't spot the quality of his work amongst what they want to see.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee

Sure it can be inconsistent at times, but a few of you guys look at poor kicks too much, and don't focus on the quality work he does off the boot.

Scott Prince and JT don't get their kicking right every single time, and they're the seen as the best halfbacks the game has at the moment.

Kimmorley is probably the best at execution, but it helps that he has a decade of experience on Mullen.

I think he is unfairly criticised about it, because I've seen him win us games with deft touch off the boot. ( A try the other night off his boot was all skill )

I don't put his poor kicking down to not having the ABILITY to kick well, but just a consequence of what has been some indifferent form in general.

He has been hot and cold for months form wise, and his kicking game reflects it.

When he is on song, his kicking game is fine, and thats all that matters really.

So end this Mullen ' cant kick ' bullsh*t , because its a crock of crap from fans who clearly can't spot the quality of his work amongst what they want to see.
I rate him as one of the worst halves when it comes to attacking kickers in the comp.

Would be interesting if this thread was about Dureau's kicking, you would be all over him. Even though he probably leads 40/20s this year and only played maybe 10 games.

Karmawave

Bench
Would be interesting if this thread was about Dureau's kicking, you would be all over him. Even though he probably leads 40/20s this year and only played maybe 10 games.

There's a difference between LONG RANGE Kicking and attacking kicking.

Long Range Dureau would be our better option. When it comes to attacking choices on the last play, Dureau is a MOMENTUM KILLER because he doesn't have the class or skill.

Mate, don't you watch the games? The other night Mullen found Vuna with a great attacking kick ( not on the last tackle ), and he also has had show incredible class over the year on short kicking options which have led to tries for us.

I know Mullen is inconsistent sometimes with his kicking game - but not any more inconsistent than his overall form when compared to any other facet of his game. When his overall form is down, so is his kicking. Simple as that.

He has the ability to do it though and has shown he can do it - and that is all that matters. He has the class to do it that others do not.

Like I said, watch Scott Princes short kicking throughout 2009, its been pretty average as well. Kicks that would normally force line drop outs have been going dead.

Even the best mess up occasionally, but the best indicator is the class that is shown when it DOES work.

Mullen is up there with class and skill , and is miles ahead of anything else we have in our side as far as being a game breaker.

Its a mental issue with Mullen, not talent.

Jono078

Referee
There's a difference between LONG RANGE Kicking and attacking kicking.

Long Range Dureau would be our better option. When it comes to attacking choices on the last play, Dureau is a MOMENTUM KILLER because he doesn't have the class or skill.

Mate, don't you watch the games? The other night Mullen found Vuna with a great attacking kick ( not on the last tackle ), and he also has had show incredible class over the year on short kicking options which have led to tries for us.

I know Mullen is inconsistent sometimes with his kicking game - but not any more inconsistent than his overall form when compared to any other facet of his game. When his overall form is down, so is his kicking. Simple as that.

He has the ability to do it though and has shown he can do it - and that is all that matters. He has the class to do it that others do not.

Like I said, watch Scott Princes short kicking throughout 2009, its been pretty average as well. Kicks that would normally force line drop outs have been going dead.

Even the best mess up occasionally, but the best indicator is the class that is shown when it DOES work.

Mullen is up there with class and skill , and is miles ahead of anything else we have in our side as far as being a game breaker.

Its a mental issue with Mullen, not talent.
I said he will do about 1 good one per match.

I agree it is more mental than skill. But I still hate how often he will grubber a ball that is never a chance of even forcing a line drop out. He only seems to do them and the occasional small cross field kick. I want to see a bit more variety in his attacking kicking game.

I don't have much of a problem with his clearance kicks.

antonius

Coach

Can't agree with any of that. Mullen has the odd good kick in his game, but his poor kicks far outweigh his good, Scott Prince is way more consistant, as is Thurston, to compare him to them is ridiculous, he's nowhere near them. I would question Mullens overall form this season. As I said in another thread, all the chopping and changing of roles in the halves may well have affected his game.

Big Tim

First Grade
His short kicking game has a lot of ???? but IMO so does the long kicking game.

Why he doesnt watch Soward and see that he gets so much time because he is 10m back from the play the ball (20m for the defence) which gives him time to see the gaps, run into the kick, and plenty of times I have seen him misdirect a kick returner with 1 step.

Mullo's long kicking problems come from shallow depth and slow play the balls. If he went back just 5m he could step into a kick, rather than kicking off a step.

Latest posts