What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine calls for league's 'slave labour' to strike

Jono078

Referee
They won't strike because simply they love playing the game.

I do agree that AFL and Union are probably laughing though because we can't compete with their money, they cab run the show if they really want our top players.

taipan

Referee
I long for the day,that another pug gives his painful gob a good working over in the ring.He opens his mouth before his brain clicks into gear.Verbal diarrarohea at its best.

Slackboy72

Coach
The fact that top line wages haven't risen in 11 years is a bit worrying, if true. He is also right when he says that the NRL infrastructure has let the game down to a point where wages haven't risen substantially, and that other codes on equal footing popularity wise have the capacity to lure away our top liners consistently. There really isn't much in that article that hasn't been said on these forums. Seems you blokes are playing the man and not the ball.

Yeah, I haven't seen any of the points he made being refuted by anyone just a lot of ridicule.

Doomednow

Bench
Wait, wait, wait...

Mundine is still relevant?

I thought the man (lower case "m") had finally taken the hint that nobody really cares what he says.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ha ha, good to see all those hits to the head haven't effected his intellectual capacity!

His $600k salary was probably the last aftermath of the SL inflation situation. Top players, by next year, will be able to earn $700k+ if their clubs can find a funder/sponsor deal for them. I'm not going to shed any tears for any person who is earning that sort of money.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
They won't strike because simply they love playing the game.

I do agree that AFL and Union are probably laughing though because we can't compete with their money, they cab run the show if they really want our top players.

Is that top line sarcasm? Not trying to be a prick but can't tell.

The number of decent players that leave our game, or threaten to leave our game suggests that 'the love of the game' is going the same way as 'the love of the club'. Whether its England, Rugby Union, or AFL, the clubs or code that offers the money will get the player. There are instances where a player will stay for unders, which is admirable, but I think its becoming the exception more so than the rule.

I think Mundine makes a point that many league fans have made. Whether it be the TV deal, mismanagement or pokies tax NRL clubs to a certain extent seem to be shortchanged to the point where they are unable to keep players in the game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
what a desperate little child he is, on the eve of the Green V Paul Briggs announcement he comes out with a beauty...

Eelementary

Post Whore
But you just want what is fair. Rugby league is a tough sport, you've only got to look at Ben Ross. He probably won't play again.''

And getting paid $400,000 to play a f**king sport and contribute nothing to society like, say, doctors, cops, ambos, etc. is not fair? FMD...

Mundine also pointed out that many former players finish the game with little financially to show for their efforts.

Whose f**king fault is that??? If you spend all your money, don't come crying back saying you have nothing left to show.

saint pebba

First Grade
All of this coming from a man who thinks he is the only person in the world that can beat Floyd Mayweather.

What I would give to see that fight and see Mundine never take another breath again.

rupertpupkin

Juniors
b-Anthony-Mundine-Sven-Ottke.jpg

Strike! Tool lay down!

VictoryFC

Bench
Slave labour? What horrible choice of wording. Wouldn't know the meaning. Being paid anything over 100k (hell, anything over 40k!) to play a sport doesn't constitute slave labour.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
As much as i hate to admit it, Mundine is right. It is about time the players walked out the door till 2 things happen. They get the real money they should be getting and that idiot David (i'm as dumb as dogsh*t) Gallop is shown the door at the NRL.

m0nty

Juniors
Mundine has been hit in the head a fair few times by now, to be fair.

I've always liked him, though. Doesn't take crap from anyone, always sticks up for himself, doesn't care who he offends. A very Sydney attitude, actually - and I mean that in a good way. I remember standing in a pub during the Green fight with all these redneck pricks around me coming out with racist slurs left right and centre, and shutting my mouth because I wanted Mundine to win. Then he did, and I had to suppress a grin.

Latest posts