What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine V Nishizawa

El Diablo

Post Whore
sato_jones said:
thats true, im not watching it though, Metallica are on here tonight so i am going to that, this fight holds no interest to me at all.

A Nana Mouskouri concert is probably more interesting than this 'fight'.

El Diablo

Post Whore
So?

He still got hit straight on the chin and got put on his arse :lol:

I thought he was supposed to be giving a clinic :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
but the question must be asked
if danny green had of thrown that punch would mundine have got up?
the fact is mundine isnt a good defencive boxer, he lets himself open and Green or any other hard hitter would have knocked his head off last night

sato_jones

Juniors
yeah hes not a good defensive boxer and a hard hitter would knock him out... might want to ask Echolls about that :) j/k

Godz Illa

Coach
Raider_69 said:
but the question must be asked
if danny green had of thrown that punch would mundine have got up?
the fact is mundine isnt a good defencive boxer, he lets himself open and Green or any other hard hitter would have knocked his head off last night
Such foolish comments. Obviously if Mundine had been facing Green or a hard-hitter, he would have chosen completely different tactics - dare I say - tactics similar to the Echols fight. However, he wasn't facing a big puncher so he was coming in aggressively, with his hands down, swinging freely with both hands.
The knockdown was legitimate - but Mundine was clearly off balance - it was the timing that knocked him down, not power or a perceived lack of chin. The fight was meaningless, I grant that, we learnt nothing about Mundine from it. It was, however, entertaining, and Mundine is to thank for that.

bender

Juniors
One thing about Mundine is that he knows how to promote himself. EVerything Mundine has ever done is about publicity. The Thornberry feud, the Danny Green Slanging match, the Fenech slanging match, the choice of opponents. The criticising of greats, the WTC comments etc.

Mundine goes by the saying that any publicity is good publicity. Now that he is close to becoming a World Champion he is trying to become a bit more subtle and humble, because he knows that it will increase his worth. In the meantime, he needs to milk as much publicity as he can. Boxing is not like rugby league. The media dont report the sport like league, it is up to the boxers to make something worth reporting.

Mundine was criticised for fighting this Japanese guy. I have lost track of the media coverage given to the poor choice of opponents. Dare I say it, if he had chosen a tougher more difficult opponent he would not have got half the press he did. Mundine knows that his biggest payday is vs Ottke, Calzaghe or Green. Beyer also might be a decent sized purse as could Sam Soloman if promoted properly. The Jap fighter was chosen, I believe, because he was no risk but he was a good way to get publicity and set up the bigger fights as well as get rounds under his belt (Dont forget how inexperienced Mundine still is really). Since it was a voluntary defence, Mundine would be stupid not to take any bigger risk. Hopefully his next bout will be with one of the other big fights already mentioned. I think Mundine-Calzaghe would be the best fight for Mundine.

I didnt watch the Mundine fight but it is clear that he was dropped by a right. Mundine himself acknowledged it was not a slip. It is a good sign that he got up quick. The Mundine fighting style leaves him open for the occassional knockdown. The knockdown really is no different to the Muhammed Ali knock down to Ernie Banks. It was legitimate but it does not really prove anything. Having said that, it does show that Mundine must be always at the top of the game. Mundine SNR is the prime example of getting a little loose and being knocked out in fights. Mundine must be on his game to ensure the same thing doesnt happen to him.

This fight tells us nothing of who would win Mundine Green, really. At this stage, I dont think either fighter has shown enough with their back to the wall (through no real fault of their own). At this stage I lean to Mundine, as his speed should be decisive and I am not as convinced of Danny's chin (due mainly to the smallman? fight where he was wobbled and struggled badly for quite a while). STill, I do think it would be a brilliant fight, particularly if it were a unifying fight. I would also reserve my right to change depending on what Danny Green does in his next 2 or 3 fights.

Raider_69

Post Whore
but illa what im saying is he has been known to occasionally get off balance and fight too aggressivly, it hasnt cost him YET but if he makes a mistake like that against a better boxer like green he may end up on the canvas for 10 count

Auckland4ever

Juniors
The knockdown in the 2nd round was 100% legit, but it was also the only meaningful punch the Japanese guy was able to land in the whole fight. Mundine took him lightly & got put down. He cant afford to do that against anyone.

I think Mundine has the tools to become a really good fighter, but he needs more experience & fighting a slow 38 yr old journeyman wont give it to him.

I never saw him fight Echolls, but in the fights I have seen him in, he hasnt really been able to turn defense into offence. When someone pressures him he often just seems to put his gloves up around his ears, walk backwards & try to do the rope-a-dope. No head movement, no sideways movement, no punching while going backwards. Some bobbing & weaving probably would have stopped him from getting knocked down.

I dont know if there is a fighter in his division that you could describe as pure quality(I dont know much about Green), so he has the chance to cement himself at the top, but if he wants to make some serious money, he'll probably have to change weight classes.