What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music during games?

Would you like music played during games at Ericsson?

• Yes, the more the better

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes, but not too much

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • NO WAY!!

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

LeagueNut

First Grade
Watching a bit of the Rugby 7's and some cricket over the weekend got me thinking ... d'ya reckon there should be more music at Ericsson during matches?

Not while play is going obviously, but maybe after tries/goals, injury breaks, or during video ref delays.

I think they used to do it in the Super League days (shudder), but it got the arse for some reason. And there was the famous "Hit the Road Jack" song played after Gary Freeman got sent off in 1996.

I'm not sure if I'd be keen for it to be honest, but I'd be interested to see what you guys think.

ozbash

Referee
creates atmosphere so its gotta be good.

they do it at chiefs s12 games and its awesom. they hand out these blow up plastic mere and they get belted together in time to the music and make a hell of a rackett. Queens "We will rock you" is a beauty.

they should do it in aussie as well, they could hand out plastic blow up sheep and bang them to " mary had a little lamb" :)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yes. Played by a bunch of big-ass PIs playing big-ass log drums. All the music Ericcson needs :twisted:

AuckMel

Bench
They play continuous music during the curtain-raiser at Olympic Park and its the most annoying thing ever when you try to watch a game.

After tries and during the breaks, is fine.

LeagueNut

First Grade
SpaceMonkey said:
Yes. Played by a bunch of big-ass PIs playing big-ass log drums. All the music Ericcson needs :twisted:
sh*t, I actually forgot about them. They get a bit of grief from some people sitting near them though, maybe they should be shifted to under one of the big screens.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
LeagueNut said:
sh*t, I actually forgot about them. They get a bit of grief from some people sitting near them though, maybe they should be shifted to under one of the big screens.

Yeah good point, the drummers probably need to have their own spot with a bit of sound insulation from the surrounding crowd.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't like it while the games on so much, but in breaks can't see any dramas with it.

Loved the drummers, they played at Ericsson last year when I was back and it was awesome. We should capture as much of what differentiates Polynesian lifestyle to Australian lifestyle and therefore turn Ericsson into something the Australian's are a bit unfamiliar with. Pre-game Maori welcomes rather than the cheerleaders (who suck anyway), and the drummers. Ericsson should be different to any other ground in the NRL to visit IMO.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
I don't like it while the games on so much, but in breaks can't see any dramas with it.

Loved the drummers, they played at Ericsson last year when I was back and it was awesome. We should capture as much of what differentiates Polynesian lifestyle to Australian lifestyle and therefore turn Ericsson into something the Australian's are a bit unfamiliar with. Pre-game Maori welcomes rather than the cheerleaders (who suck anyway), and the drummers. Ericsson should be different to any other ground in the NRL to visit IMO.

Agree wholeheatedly. We could extend that by having live music by local performers during the half-time/pre match period, it would be a a great way to help the local music industry and give the crowd some entertainment as well as keeping things distinctively local, and would be much better than pumping the same old chart hits over the PA.

Iafeta

Referee
Agree with that.

Even if they need to pump out songs on the PA system, pump out Kiwi tracks.

ozbash

Referee
Skinner said:
No - it annoys the crap out of me.

Cheers

bah -humbug :D

feka, our cheerleaders are beautiful. both my daughters want to be cheerleaders thanks to them,, i even got them some pom poms.

i like the culture idea, both pakeha,maori and polynesian.

there are some great kiwi bands (herbs, DD,blurta etc etc) who could pump out some real kiwi stadium music.

get rid of those fat,hoody wearing rappers. they are crap.

Iafeta

Referee
Herbs, that'd be great... Sensitive to A Smile... ahhh..

What about some of the other good bands from yesteryear? Are they still "kicking" it? Like Coconut Rough (remember them, Sierra Leone..), The Crocodiles (tears - get Jenny Morris back off the solo sh!t and get her into this), The Feelers, Fur Patrol, HELLO SAILOR!, The Mutton Birds, OMC! (How Bizarre!), Straitjacket Fits? (She speeeeeeeddsss), The Swingers (counting the beat), ZED! What about the Netherworld Dancing Toys or whatever they were called (For today..), or the Exponents?!

Even some of the newer big hits ones like Betchadupa, Evermore, Shihad - imagine that for pre-game entertainment. A bit of culture club stuff, beautiful.

Surely some of these mobs, (haven't even had to look at the Enz, or Crowdies, or Dave Dobbyn) wouldn't mind playing a few tunes to get the crowd pumping at Ericsson?!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
ozbash said:
get rid of those fat,hoody wearing rappers. they are crap.

Mate if you're going to be catering to the polynesian market you're going to have to keep a few of the rap/hip-hop guys. People have different tastes, and the best thing to do would be to have something different every week, rock, reggae, hip-hop, soul, whatever but keep it local!|

dazza

Staff member
as long as ray bishop is involved there will only be rap/hip hop. the guy trys to sing the same song nearly every home game, & still can`t get the words right!!!

get rid of him, & then there may be a wide variety of music played at the games.

a bit of rap/hip hop, more of the kiwi bands. i remember the 1st season when hello sailor played. man they rock. don`t like the drums, get rid of them. too annoying for me.

cheers dazza

ozbash

Referee
Or, "lady in red" when we play the drags....

ray bishop was good in the red zone but when they stopped that he became very lame.

spends most of his time walking across the paddock trying to look important..

hes a wannabe john travolta..

AliN

Live Update Team
an atmosphere like we saw on tv this morning in the south of France would be awesome. Packed stadiums, big or small, can't beat it.
Bums on seats are what's needed to create the atmosphere we need.
Players to perform would be a great start..