What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music Trivia Thread

Sorry, I forgot to check back. All right, since you want a Canadian angle - what city is Neil Young referring to in the opening line of the song "Helpless".

"There is a town in north Ontario....." :music1:

No. Hrundi, you should know. This is now more of a geography question than a music question. Should i give it away, or give more hints?

frank

Juniors
Steve, I just found this on a book review site,

http://www.popmatters.com/books/reviews/s/shakey.shtml

When McDonough hits, though, he really connects, and the book shows a lot of potential. The first 150 pages of Shakey chronicle Young's formative years: his early life in Toronto with parents Scott and Rassy Young, the family's subsequent years in the small Ontario town of Omeemee (the subject of Young's song "Helpless"), Young's battle with poliomyelitis at the age of six, the break-up of his parents' marriage, and Neil and Rassy's move west to Winnipeg, Manitoba. The Winnipeg years are well-documented, and McDonough hints that the Prairie city possessed the most important Canadian rock and roll scene in the mid-Sixties. As opposed to the strictly rock or folk schools of thought in a place like Toronto, Winnipeg teenagers had access to music from radio stations all over the American Midwest. Geographically situated at the northern end of the North American Plains, kids could tune in their radios every night and hear stations from as far away as New Orleans and Shreveport, and Young and his buddy Randy Bachman would study the new sounds and compare notes, eventually forming, in Bachman's case, the Guess Who, and in Young's, the Squires. McDonough quotes many of Young's Winnipeg cohorts, adequately describing a part of Canadian music history few Canadians even know about.

:?:

I started to write an apology, because I was told that it was a reference to Thunder Bay Ontario, by a university friend who was from there. Then I thought, wait a minute, I've driven through Omemee, and it's in southern Ontario. No way a Canadian would refer to it as being in North Ontario. The Young family did live in Omemee I think, but they also lived in Thunder Bay before moving to Winnipeg as frank's quote mentions.

I have to think Frank's source is wrong about the Omemee/Helpless connection. This map clearly places it in south - central Ontario:

http://www.kawarthamarketplace.com/map.htm

Otherwise that's an interesting read about the Winnipeg music scene. Randy bachman was a member of the well-known Winnipeg band turned Canadian rock icon - the Guess Who.

BTW, Neil's dad Scott Young was a well-known Canadian sportswriter. He also wrote some boys books about hockey. I still have my copy of "Scrubs on Skates" about high school hockey in Winnipeg in the 50s. many Canadians my age read Scott Yopung's books as a boy. The dedication in the front of the Scrubs on Skates is "for Neil", who would've been a young boy when the book was written.