What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My team for next Test

Tommy Smith

Referee
mightypanther said:
And yet all the Aussie commentators including the supposed "best player in the world"
Andrew Johns, all said that they thought the Lockyer/Gower combination was great,
and the only blemish to both their kicking games was BOTH of them missing field goals.

Hmmm........now who's opinion would I be most likely to take notice of........
theirs or some Aussie fans who never liked Gower anyway ??? :roll:

Hmmmmm........let me think ? :-k
Of course they would say that. That's why they are, and always will be, extremely uninteresting and dull commentators. I mean did you really expect them to say Gower was poor? Of course not, that might be controversial.

mightypanther

Juniors
Well Wayne Bennett has also come out today and endorsed the Lockyer/Gower
pairing, and said that he is positive they will both come up with great performances
in the next match.

Certainly sounds like he has confidence in their talents........are you going to say
that Wayne Bennett also doesn't know what he's talking about ?

skeepe

Immortal
I think what they were saying was that, in comparison to the Anzac test, they looked more settled. I don't think they combined particularly well to be honest. Both seemed to want to run the team their own way.

Azkatro

First Grade
Hill :lol:

If he plays 10 rep games, he's got 9 error-riddled joke performances in him and one good one.

Krison

Juniors
This is it for Gower this weekend. If has a blinder, he stays, he plays like he did a few days ago... he's gone. Simple as that. Not once has Gower done what Kimmorley did last year to GB. While Gower certainly wasnt as bad as he was in SoO 1 (and thats prolly because he has a 5/8 outside him this time round) he certainly wasnt that good either. A few times he just passed and hoped someone would be on the recieveing end of it, he got caught with the ball on some occasions (though that probably wasnt his fault 70% of the time) and some of his kicks went straight to Webb, the out of form all year fullback, on the full. Even his grubbers went striaght to a Kiwi except for that kick for Tonga. On top of all that he missed a field goal right in front, 15 meters out. Unforgiveable at this level.

Gower: Its do or die time.

mightypanther

Juniors
This is it for Gower this weekend. If has a blinder, he stays, he plays like he did a few days ago... he's gone. Simple as that

Yeah go tell Wayne Bennett that. I'm sure he's just been waiting for you to hand
down your decree. :roll:

Broncodroid

Juniors
There will be no mass change to a team that drew with NZ in trying conditions in their first hit out together as a team. I can only laugh when reading some teams that move Lockyer back to fullback, Hill to five-eight and then we have some dropping Craig Gower! We did not lose the game first of all and secondly, we do not have the time to be trying every possible combination.

My team:

1 - Anthony Minichello
2 - Matt Sing
3 - Matt Cooper
4 - Willie Tonga
5 - Luke Rooney

6 - Darren Lockyer (capt)
7 - Craig Gower

8 - Shane Webcke
9 - Danny Buderus
10 - Jason Ryles
11 - Nathan Hindmarsh
12 - Craig Fitzgibbon
13 - Shaun Timmins

14 - Matt Bowen
15 - Willie Mason
16 - Petero Civoneceva
17 - Ben Kennedy

The Changes

* Matt Cooper comes in for Shaun Berrigan who really struggled IMO in the first test. Cooper gives us a bit more size as well not to mention perhaps the best defensive centre in the game. Brent Tate, pointed out by "borat" in another thread, is 2nd on the pecking order in which Cooper was the standby in the first test.

** Fitzgibbon comes into the team moving Mason back to the bench where he will have a better impact IMO. This should be done in game 1.

*** Shaun Timmins returns to the team and gives us another forward who will do damage when running wide. TC was a non event in attack and was purely there as a defensive unit. Timmins gives us both attack and defence.

**** I have dropped Craig Wing and added Bowen. Wing is a brilliant player, though I thought we struggled for cohesion when he came on. Buderus is an 80 minute player as well, keep him on the field. Bowen is the most exciting attacking player in the game, he also has a fan in Bennett. QLD used him effectively in Origin, Bennett will do the same I feel.

The only other changes could be Tate to the wing for Sing, TC to the bench for Kennedy. Mark O'Meley would be starting in my test team for Shane Webcke as well, though we know he ain't getting dropped.

Special K

Coach
what did Gower do on the weekend besides get smashed and mis field goals. Lockyer lead the team around and went to gower if there wasn't nothing on. Lockyer and Noddy worked last year very well. Gower needs to do something because his last few rep games he has done little.

ozboy

Juniors
1-Minichiello
2-Rooney
3-Berrigan (last chance)
4-Tonga
5-Sing
6-Lockyer
7-Gower (last chance)
8-Ryles
9-Buderus
10-Webcke
11-Mason
12-Fitzgibbon
13-Kennedy

14-Wing
15-Hindmarsh
16-O Meley
17-Bowen

The team needs time to settle and form some combinations, no point making huge changes after one test. The only changes for me are Fitzgibbon and Kennedy coming in. The Aussies were outmuscled at the start of the game and with Kennedy and Fitzgibbon there this time it should be another story. Only two forwards on the bench but Wing can play lock (as he did for most of the 2nd half V NZ) and Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon can last the full game with Mason pushing into the front row at times.

Iafeta

Referee
1 Minichiello
2 Rooney
3 Cooper
4 Tonga
5 Bowen
6 Lockyer
7 Gower
8 O'Meley
9 Buderus
10 Ryles
11 Mason
12 Fitzgibbon
13 Hindmarsh

Bench

Ryan
Webcke
Petrols 75centsperlitre
Wing

stubbsie

Juniors
I still think Gower was a better hooker a now he has done a lot at halfback (Grand Final, SOO, International games) But i thought he offered heaps more from hooker and was the best until buderus came through.

1. Matt Bowen
2. Anthony Minichello
3. Matt Cooper
4.Willie Tonga
5.luke Rooney

I think we lack size in the backs and with no tahu i think we have to go with Mini on the wing to take Meli or Vanicolo. Berrigan is a very overated player he has never been up to international level.

6. Darren lockyer
7. Brett Kimmorly

I dont like Kimmorly as a player but he is a more natural halfback and did a great job last year.

8. Mason
9. Buderus
10. O'Meley
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Hill

14. Ryles
15. Kennedy
16. Civoniceva
17. Wing

Sorry Webke but you are past your Used by date

Kiwi

First Grade
Good to see almost all on here stick by Webcke, who made more hit ups than all aussie forwards except Mason ( 16 each ), made more metres than all aussie forwards and made 32 tackles with no misses. And there are people on these forums who think he should get dropped.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I don't think there is a heck of a lot wrong with the aussie team, I would get Matt Cooper in there pronto, ditto for O'Meley, and probably switch Mason and Ryan around. Ryan goes hard all game and Mason is awesome off the bench. I dunno about Fitzgibbon, do we need another workhorse if we have Ryan and Hindy in the pack?

bartman

Immortal
Yikes, some of the selections/opinions here are scaring me... Wayne, name the official side, quick!!

Oxenham's backline :oops:; selecting Hill/Timmins; leaving out O'Meley/Fitzgibbon... #-o

TownMarra

Juniors
I personally would replace Gower with Kimmorley, although im not a fan of Kimmorley, he is twice the player Gower is at International level.
I suppose it is every plyer to themselves, I dont think it is a fact that Gower cant hack it at SOO or International level, you might find there is quite a few players play better at club level than at International level, its the same in Soccer, but that doesnt mean the lad is a poor player!

By the way, as far as i know, the weather forcast for this weekend is crap, so, we could be in for another close game between the 2 sides again!

Big Mick

Referee
First player out of the team should be Matt Sing. He did nothing on Saturday.

I think Gower would do better if he wasn't ordered to pass it to Darren Lockyer all the bloody time.

Gower is at his best when he is leading the play and can dictate stuff. With Lockyer at 5-8 it wont happen.

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Matt Cooper
3. Brent Tate
4. Willie Tonga
5. Luke Rooney
6. Darren Lockyer c
7. Craig Gower
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus
10. Jason Ryles
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Scott Hill

14. Matthew Bowen
15. Shane Webcke
16. Willie Mason
17. Andrew Ryan

Big Mick

Referee
First player out of the team should be Matt Sing. He did nothing on Saturday.

I think Gower would do better if he wasn't ordered to pass it to Darren Lockyer all the bloody time.

Gower is at his best when he is leading the play and can dictate stuff. With Lockyer at 5-8 it wont happen.

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Matt Cooper
3. Brent Tate
4. Willie Tonga
5. Luke Rooney
6. Darren Lockyer c
7. Craig Gower
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus
10. Jason Ryles
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Scott Hill

14. Matthew Bowen
15. Shane Webcke
16. Willie Mason
17. Andrew Ryan

Go_The_Sharks

Juniors
stubbsie said:
I still think Gower was a better hooker a now he has done a lot at halfback (Grand Final, SOO, International games) But i thought he offered heaps more from hooker and was the best until buderus came through.

1. Matt Bowen
2. Anthony Minichello
3. Matt Cooper
4.Willie Tonga
5.luke Rooney

I think we lack size in the backs and with no tahu i think we have to go with Mini on the wing to take Meli or Vanicolo. Berrigan is a very overated player he has never been up to international level.

6. Darren lockyer
7. Brett Kimmorly

I dont like Kimmorly as a player but he is a more natural halfback and did a great job last year.

8. Mason
9. Buderus
10. O'Meley
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Hill

14. Ryles
15. Kennedy
16. Civoniceva
17. Wing

Sorry Webke but you are past your Used by date

Whats wrong with Kimmorley, what has he done?

Shane Webcke is not out of his time. He is one of the best players in the world. People usually say that a halfback/five eight is the best player in the world which is a load of crap. Shane Webcke does hes job so well and you couldn't ask him to do more. As a prop he is one of the best players in the world. Probably one of the best props ever. He just doesn't stop.
I think you just see other props playing well and you get sick of seeing Webcke so your point of view is that Webcke shouldn't be in the Aus side and your wrong. I think you need to watch closely at how much work he does next game.