What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My theory on why Parramatta haven't won a Premiership since 1986

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There are probably a number of theories as to why we haven't won since 1986 and shouldve won a few times during that period.

A lot of people who witnessed the great era in the 1980s would tell that when Price and Cronin retired it left a massive hole and the Eels had struggled to be competitive after.

I wish I was around the see the Eels win those comps. I unfortunately was too young to remember 1986 and have gone through dark periods of the early 90s, the Brian Smith era, the wooden spoons and the Brad Arthur era. Also went to the 3 Grand Final losses, the worst being 2001. I cant accept 2022, Penrith would’ve beaten any team and we were so gassed after the Cowboys win but the loss to Newcastle still burns and should’ve done better to prepare for that game. Yes the Knights were dominant, had 100% completion rate in the first half and had representative players and of course Johns, but that year if you took Joey out of the team they were awful.

It comes down to mental toughness and being better prepared and not too carried away or nervous. The signs were there in the previous game against Brisbane. They turned up thinking this could be an easy run but were poor in some areas, made silly errors and missed tackles. I was worried they would blow that game but managed to hang on and was so relieved they got the Grand Final after 3 preliminary final losses in a row. But then the Grand Final breakfast came and all the players looked on edge, so nervous, didn’t know what to say. Same when they ran out onto the field, you can see they barely looked at each other, whereas the Knights looked pumped up and more motivated. The Eels were so dominant in the season, it felt like the biggest opportunity blown.

I don’t know what it is when putting on the Blue and Gold jumper post 1986 but when it comes to the big games, the players look nervous and lost, its like there is so much pressure to win it for us yet they cant do it. Even after the Grand Final years, they seem to go backwards and still have those losses in the back of their mind.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
2001 is the one for me. Sure on paper and in hindsight those names on the Newcastle list dwarf ours but that Eels side were absolutely out of this world. Brad Drew was the best hooker in the world. Buettner was playing out of his skin. We should’ve won, end of.

Yeah he must’ve changed what was working ffs
Oh dear. If only life was as simplistic as #poulogic

Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

Milhouse2020

Juniors
2001 is the one for me. Sure on paper and in hindsight those names on the Newcastle list dwarf ours but that Eels side were absolutely out of this world. Brad Drew was the best hooker in the world. Buettner was playing out of his skin. We should’ve won, end of.

But they still lost, didn't they Champ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You seriously have no idea
Nah you don't. How the f**k can tactics cause burnout? The most successful teams this decade (at least) are the ones whose players work the hardest over 80 minutes. Surely they will be the ones burning out first, not our f**king slugs. And that's even if an 80 minute period in a week with ten thousand other minutes is capable of burning anyone out. Eighty minutes times 24 games is only 1920 minutes. That's only eight four hour sessions. They would work harder in the preseason you imbecile.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Nah you don't. How the f**k can tactics cause burnout? The most successful teams this decade (at least) are the ones whose players work the hardest over 80 minutes. Surely they will be the ones burning out first, not our f**king slugs. And that's even if an 80 minute period in a week with ten thousand other minutes is capable of burning anyone out. Eighty minutes times 24 games is only 1920 minutes. That's only eight four hour sessions. They would work harder in the preseason you imbecile.
Calm down pou.....no need to call me names and hurt my feelings....

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
What about mental burnout?

Latest posts