What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Top Five Fullbacks in the Game

HowHigh

Coach
Agree with the list, but I'd slip Hayne or maybe Gordon in there at 5th.
Barba should get a dishonourable mention at fullback, no way honourable.

pupajoN

Juniors
lmao, dude not disappointed at all, its a forum for discussion. Expect views and opinions like yours when you post something..

It’s all good...

Haha i know its just firechild was straight on my case and accusing me of never watching the game... He seemed to be burning alittle.

moik

Bench
Honourable Mentions: Ben Barba (Bulldogs), Michael Gordon (Panthers), Matt Bowen (Cowboys) (In order of descending interested to ascending interest)

5. Nathan Gardner (Cronulla)
One remembers those 100m try against the Roosters & Panthers where he picked up a loose ball and ran the length untouched swirving like a race car in a racetrack through the entire opposition, Still has alot to learn but I see alot of Billy Slater in him and I got to wrap his positional play which is very experienced and slick for a kid of his age and limited first grade appearances. Was the form fullback early in the season and was my pick for the NSW No.1 jumper, Think he has to reduce his error count though.
Josh Dugan (Canberra)
Another youngster star from Toyota Cup like Gardner above; Really hit the scene in 2009 and was unlucky not to receive Rookie of the Year instead of Canterbury's Jamal Idris from then on he has really reached NRL heights. I believe he is the NRL's most agilest player though not the quickest, He is one of the hardest players to tackle and that's why it reflects in his runs and metres stats, great support player and is equally impressive with his positional play, Usually very safe under the high ball but his tackling efficiency is down on previous years though injuries have riddled him.
Brett Stewart (Manly)
The best finisher in the game and probably one of the best hands in the game, Coming back from a tall ordeal and injury he has taken time to hit his straps but while form is temporary, class is permanent. Quickest fullback over 40 and probably over 100 as well, His support play is 2nd to none in the comp once he hits his accelerator and has a tendency to have quick hands to keep an attacking play going, The only thing of Stewart i can fault is his ball playing ability, He has good hands yes but he isn't a noted passer a link man to Manly, He merely is a brilliant finisher and can support his playmakers but not to the extent he could.
Darius Boyd (Dragons) Dally M Fullback of the Year says it all really; Has a great all round game and his ball playing has improved out of sight, Good finisher and is 2nd to Billy Slater in linking, Good defender and good positional in D, Very complete player. I think his lack of try-scoring form last year doesn't hinder my opinion of him as a player just goes to show how un-selfish he is and he plays the man not himself and always goes for the best option.
Billy Slater (Storm)
Incumbent Queensland & Australian fullback and has been for some time. I believe Billy typifies what a fullback is all about in a defensive aspect but is seen as a rogue five-eighth in attack, His ability to defuse situations is something I see as such an amazing ability and is safe under the high ball, Generally is good in defence but with a small frame he is likely to struggle one-on one at times, His attacking possession is support player, having all round ball skills and ability to link with his halves and his outside men, Doesn't necessarily offer the stereotypical kick returning aspect of a fullback but I think he was the 2nd most powerful presence for Storm's Ill-fated success to Cameron Smith who i rate as the best player in the game.

That list is pretty much spot on.

firechild

First Grade
Haha i know its just firechild was straight on my case and accusing me of never watching the game... He seemed to be burning alittle.

I would think that anyone who watched more than a handful of games each year would put Slater and Stewart straight into their top 5, not necessarily 1 and 2 but they'd have to be in there somewhere. They'd easily be the most talented and consistent in the game. Boyd would probably be next and then while Dugan and Hayne have a heap of talent, they both have a tendancy to go missing for different reasons, Dugan does when pressure is applied and Hayne does when his first couple of attempts at a big play don't come off he seems to give up. I haven't seen enough of the Panthers' fullbacks to really judge but both Gordon and Coote seem to have plenty of talent and desire from what I have seen. Minichello certainly would have been in the top 5 at various stages of his career but IMO those days are well behind him.

firechild

First Grade
Why the f*ck are you following me around commenting on everything I post? Surely you have better things to do?

kiwiperth

Juniors
1. Slater - By a Long Way - Consistently brilliant
2. Stewart - Unlucky not to be NSW fullback considering injury
3. Dugan - Deceptively strong and fast
4. Boyd - Great defensively and a good ball player - but doesnt have that support play or punch of others
5. Hayne - 2 years ago would have been 1 or 2, but is pretty much a 5/8 now

Unlucky not to make list
Gordon - On fire when thrown at the back for the panthers. As good as Coote is, Gordon is undeniable in fullback
Hopoate - Playing at Manly will never play at fullback, but god can this kid play when he is there. Strong and with the biggest metres per game in the competition, if somewhere else would be no1 fullback
Gardner & Barba - Brilliant Attacking Players - Unfortunantly too small, too many errors and not defensively sound.

firechild

First Grade
I have no doubt that at a different club Gordon would be a higher profile player. Penrith is one club that gets very little exposure compared to say Parra, Brisbane or the Bulldogs. Even blokes like Lewis rarely get mentioned despite being a bloody good player and Petero can thank his time at Brisbane for his profile.
I'd agree with you on Hopoate too, it may have come into play when he was considering his mormon mission, by the time he gets back in 2014, Stewarts career will be winding down and Hopoate can build into a long term fullback role at Manly. He will join a growing list of brilliant fullbacks at the club behind Eadie, Stewart and Ridge.

pupajoN

Juniors
1. Slater - By a Long Way - Consistently brilliant
2. Stewart - Unlucky not to be NSW fullback considering injury
3. Dugan - Deceptively strong and fast
4. Boyd - Great defensively and a good ball player - but doesnt have that support play or punch of others
5. Hayne - 2 years ago would have been 1 or 2, but is pretty much a 5/8 now

Unlucky not to make list
Gordon - On fire when thrown at the back for the panthers. As good as Coote is, Gordon is undeniable in fullback
Hopoate - Playing at Manly will never play at fullback, but god can this kid play when he is there. Strong and with the biggest metres per game in the competition, if somewhere else would be no1 fullback
Gardner & Barba - Brilliant Attacking Players - Unfortunantly too small, too many errors and not defensively sound.

I would agree with this for top fullbacks. My list was simply my favourites to watch.

bomberman

Juniors
Billy Slater's ability to defuse bombs is unbeleivable, not given much cred often on this as you just come to expect it from Billy. His support play comes from the teachings of Robbie Ross before him, who was a brilliant player.