What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Top Five Fullbacks in the Game

2010Dragons

Bench
His passing game isn't up to 5/8 standards by a long way...........

Lockyer's tackling abilities isn't the best in the world but can easily be covered up by any bodyguard you put around him.
Footy is a team sport which can easily hide weak points of any player.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Lockyer's tackling abilities isn't the best in the world but can easily be covered up by any bodyguard you put around him.
Footy is a team sport which can easily hide weak points of any player.

Defence is one thing that can be covered up with team work.

A 5/8's bread and butter is his passing game and it's his individual skill with it that makes or breaks him.

I think Slater would struggle with this.

user_nat

Coach
Slater put in a pretty impressive pass tonight. Also did a kick (from dummy half strangely).

Must have read this thread.

POPEYE

Coach
Slater is the best fullback I've seen in 50 years of watching the game. A lot of fullbacks did some of the things as well as Slater and a couple did a thing or two better. None did as many things as well as Slater can.

The standout quality of Slater over the rest is his stamina and, touch wood, resistance to injury.

Slater is the best fullback I've seen in 50 years of watching the game. A lot of fullbacks did some of the things as well as Slater and a couple did a thing or two better. None did as many things as well as Slater can.

The standout quality of Slater over the rest is his stamina and, touch wood, resistance to injury.

It's past your bedtime

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Defence is one thing that can be covered up with team work.

A 5/8's bread and butter is his passing game and it's his individual skill with it that makes or breaks him.

I think Slater would struggle with this.

Spot on. Slater has a great running game that could work in the switch (see: Lockyer, Darren) but doesn't have the style of play (IMO) to take control like a good half or 5/8th should.

He also has the occasional good ball in him, but really - he's so good at fullback, why the hell would they move him to 6 with Cronk and Widdop at the club?

better than Russell Fairfax and Anthony Minichiello

You wait until Luke Towers comes back, he's apparently the greatest player ever

Graham plays more like a hole running second rower, a superior version of Creagh. It worked against the Panthers but we need proper running fullbacks in order to be successful. In saying that Graham would be one of my top 5 second rowers.

I once saw a guy at Shark Park in 1994 with no legs who moved faster than Graham returning the ball.

mongoose

Coach

Yeah i'm happy to say he's the best fullback Ive ever seen. I honestly thought he was just a flash in the pan 8 years ago.... never thought he would get as good as he did.

Iafeta

Referee
Fullback is an area where there is a hell of a lot of depth. It wasn't long ago that the Kiwis realistically only had Lance Hohaia as an option. In a short space of time I think it's realistic to say he's been well and truly overtaken by Kevin Locke and Josh Hoffman, and possibly Gerard Beale even though he's not playing there regularly.

Some of the young fullbacks coming through is brilliant. Some of them can't get regular starts. Fisiiahi destroyed Cronulla earlier in the season, got an unlucky injury and now has to reinvent himself as a winger to get a shot at first grade.

Special K

Coach
I just dont get the fascination about Gardiner. IMO he would not be anywhere near the top 5
He can change a game with 1 play, he can score a try from any where on the field. Gards has just as much of an impact on our side as Gallen does.

If we don't have Gards our attack is f**ked.

I can't believe Parra didn't give him a shot on the wing! He would be perfect for them at fullback with Hayne at 6. But then again doesn't this just look wrong

3691946889_dd25172c6d.jpg

My top 5 would be; Slater, Stewart, Dugan, Boyd and Gardner. If Hayne was still at #1 he would be in there. Coote is great also but I wouldn't swap him for Gards - that isn't a knock against Coote just I have a lot of love for Gardner.

Last edited:
He can change a game with 1 play, he can score a try from any where on the field. Gards has just as much of an impact on our side as Gallen does.

If we don't have Gards our attack is f**ked.

I can't believe Parra didn't give him a shot on the wing! He would be perfect for them at fullback with Hayne at 6. But then again doesn't this just look wrong

3691946889_dd25172c6d.jpg

We had Burt, Grothe and Inu at the club.
He didn't get much of a chance on the wing unfortunately.

Latest posts