What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Top Five Fullbacks in the Game

boxhead

First Grade
At the moment? If Gordon wasn't injured he would be in this list.

1. Slater
2. Boyd/Stewart
3. Boyd/Stewart
4. Dugan
5. Hayne

I'd imagine when (if) Hayne finds his best form again he will rocket up to number 2. Gardner is unlucky to miss out, as is Hopoate and Hoffman.

Regarding the discussion about attacking fullbacks, my opinion comes down to try-scoring and/or play-making.

1. Slater
2. Stewart
3. Hayne
4. Boyd
5. Barba

I think 1, 2, 3 and 5 in that list are obvious, I put Boyd at three because he is very good as a link man, as a playmaker and as a finisher.

I'm probably being a bit generous to Hayne in the first list because of my Eels bias, but there's no doubt he is one of the most dangerous players in the NRL (in the top 5 or 10) and has been for nearly three years.

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
Barba needs to learn how to catch the high ball

.....and defend

before even being considered to be any where near that list.

1. Slater
2. Hayne
3. Dugan
4. Stewart
5. Boyd

6. Hoffman

edit: comment re: Barba and attacking fullbacks I didn't read

still .......Hoffman>Barba

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
Barba needs to learn how to catch the high ball

.....and defend

before even being considered to be any where near that list.

1. Slater
2. Hayne
3. Dugan
4. Stewart
5. Boyd

6. Hoffman

edit: comment re: Barba and attacking fullbacks I didn't read

still .......Hoffman>Barba

What? This from a non-Eels fan? By the way Hoffman is a great mention, he's the one I forgot to mention on my list.

shiznit

Coach
im more interested in seeing a list of the best young fullbacks...

in no particular order...

Ben Barba
Kevin Locke
Glenn Fishiahi
Josh Hoffman
Gerard Beale
Lachlan Coote
James Roberts
Josh Dugan

and i feel like ive left out some guns...

the future is looking impressive.

user_nat

Coach
im more interested in seeing a list of the best young fullbacks...

in no particular order...

and i feel like ive left out some guns...

the future is looking impressive.

Hayne is only 23..

Hoffman is also 23 if you don't count 23 as being young :p

You forgot Phil Graham.

Graham plays more like a hole running second rower, a superior version of Creagh. It worked against the Panthers but we need proper running fullbacks in order to be successful. In saying that Graham would be one of my top 5 second rowers.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Gidley will hopefully complete his first full game at FB this year tomorrow night. Will be interesting to see how he goes, hopefully he rekindles his 2008 form.

2010Dragons

Bench
I'm surprised BHP has not mentioned Minichello....maybe he has noticed the once good fullback is in the same catagory as Wesser....

2010Dragons

Bench
I did. Minichiello is number 1.

BHP, NO NO NO ...he wears number 1 now and he was number 1 many many years ago...before his back injury.

Now repeat after me....it is good for your therapy....
He wears number 1 now and he was number 1 many many years ago.

DC_fan

Coach
1. Billy Slater (Storm)
Incumbent Queensland & Australian fullback and has been for some time. I believe Billy typifies what a fullback is all about in a defensive aspect but is seen as a rogue five-eighth in attack, His ability to defuse situations is something I see as such an amazing ability and is safe under the high ball, Generally is good in defence but with a small frame he is likely to struggle one-on one at times, His attacking possession is support player, having all round ball skills and ability to link with his halves and his outside men, Doesn't necessarily offer the stereotypical kick returning aspect of a fullback but I think he was the 2nd most powerful presence for Storm's Ill-fated success to Cameron Smith who i rate as the best player in the game.

The best fullback I have seen play and possibly the best ever. Could do a Lockyer and move to five-eight where I have ho doubt would be a success.

If he did move to #6 he would soon be known as the best player to ever play the game. Has all the skills,