What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MY WORLD XI

Craig

Juniors
Joshua said:
TEST
9.Boucher(wkp)
4.Mansfield

Boucher - bats at no.7 for RSA sunshine. Parore retired.

If you put yourself in a world ODI XI, then can I say I'm a great batsman then Bradman? Of course not :roll:

Craig

Juniors
Earl said:
I counted 3 kiwis too many in the above team.

So New Zealanders dont produce good cricketers? And maybe you havent realised Fleming is in fact the best captain in the world (anybody who know's somethign about the game and watches it regulary will know) so he is worthy of being in a world XI purely as captain.

Aqua, Murali would bat at 10 or 11. And no he isnt a chucker.

Kiwi

First Grade
3 Kiwi's that would definately have to be in the world XI are Flemming, Oram, and Bond.

aqua_duck

Coach
Kiwi said:
3 Kiwi's that would definately have to be in the world XI are Flemming, Oram, and Bond.

I think Flemming would be a strong chance but not a definate, simple reason being that there are so many good batsman around these days, his captaincy skills are a bonus though, as for Jacob Oram, if he's a better all rounder than Shaun Pollock I'll walk down george street in my birthday suit, as for Bond, if fit, i would have included him.

Macca

Coach
Based on 2003.

Test side.

1. Hayden
2. Smith
3. Ponting (C)
4. Lara
5. Laxman
6. Dravid
7. Gichrist
8. Pollock
9. Gillespie
10. Ntini
11. Muralitharan

12. Akhtar

ODI side.

1. Hayden
2. Tendulker
3. Ponting
4. Gilchrist
5. Lara
6. Symonds
7. Youhana
8. Cairns
9. Pollock
10. Gillespie
11. Muralitharan

12. Vaas

Macca

Coach
Yeah, I knew someone would pick me up on that. Ipicked the guys that I thought had performed the best in 2003. IMO Murili chucks but while he is allowed to, I have to include him in last years best. I didn't like having to do it either.

CyberKev

Staff member
I don't mind the look of McSharkie's sides, although the inclusion of Gillespie is a stretch.

Anyone who puts McGrath in their best side is hopelessly anchored in the past.

He is a shot bird who was clearly on the slippery slope even before he ran into his recent injury woes.

Pace bowling stocks on a global scale have never looked so light-on, and Australia is faring as poorly as other nations for overall quality at the current time. Gillespie & Lee are considered to be the country's gun bowlers atm, but it is dubious as to whether either would warrant a spot in a World XI 'Reserves' side.

CyberKev

Macca

Coach
Gillespie took 41 test wickets last year at an average of 22.51. In ODI's last year he had an economy rate of 3.3, one of, if not the best in the world. I'd say that warrants a spot.

CyberKev

Staff member
McSharkie said:
Gillespie took 41 test wickets last year at an average of 22.51. In ODI's last year he had an economy rate of 3.3, one of, if not the best in the world. I'd say that warrants a spot.

Hmmm... Nicer figures than I would of thought, so I guess he would deserve a spot.

These figures would be mediated, however, by the fact that a handful of these tests were played against embattled minnows Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

Gillespie is solid enough, but the fact that he could be a credible entry into a World XI line-up further emphasises my point about the anaemic state of global fast bowling stocks atm.

The point is further reinforced by McGrath coming in at 4 on the latest bowling rankings when he's barely made it on to the paddock over the past year.

CyberKev

Macca

Coach
No doubt, the bowling stocks have deteriorated and continue to do so, but we can only pick from what we have. Gillespie is a fine bowler though. He is very accurate.

bayrep

Juniors
I think more to the point bowlers are breaking down a lot more becuase of the amount of games and lack of breaks there are between series.

JJ

Immortal
knights04 said:
Test
Ebrahim
Gripper
Omar
Bashar
McMillan
Vermeulan
Mashud
Kemp
Dawson
Harmison
Hondo

Excellent, a side to dominate in all forms of cricket

JJ

Immortal
hmmmmmm - test team...

Hayden (Aus)
Smith (SA)
Dravid (Ind)
Kallis (SA)
Tendulkar (Ind)
Ponting (c) (Aus)
Gilchrest (Aus)
Pollock (SA)
Bond (NZ)
McGrath (Aus)
Murali (SL) (I think he chucks, but if the authorities allow it, he's effective)

B team....
Vaughan (Eng)
Richardson (NZ)
Lara (WI) (could be swapped for any in the above team)
Fleming (NZ)
Youhana (Pak)
Laxman (Ind)
Boucher (SA)
Cairns (NZ) (he's playing well again)
Ahktar Pak (see Murali)
Gillespie (Aus)
Kumble (Ind)

Unlucky - Hinds, Gibbs, Langer, Warne (not considered), Ntini, Tuffey, Sami, Inzamam...

Craig

Juniors
When will people realise, Smith faces first, Hayden doesnt. Richardson faces first, Vaughan doesnt.

ANyway, has anybody noticed Smith's massive technical flaw?

aqua_duck

Coach
Well with a test average of 58 I dont think the massive technical flaw is having a massive affect.

Latest posts