What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your bolters for the Roo tour

Meanie

Juniors
The Colonel said:
It will come down to Tahu and Cooper for Berrigan's centre spot. Gasnier has the other locked in. .

Being as Bennett is the coach, don't rule out Justin Hodges or Brent Tate for that other centre position.

Spike

First Grade
I know guys like Dean Young and Cameron Smith would be in front of him and despite not personally being a fan of his, Mark Riddell is my bolter.

The Colonel

Immortal
Meanie said:
Being as Bennett is the coach, don't rule out Justin Hodges or Brent Tate for that other centre position.

Chances are Hodges will be having knee surgery. Tate has been in good form but if the Broncos go out bacwards again I can't see too many of them being picked. Lockyer and Petro would be the main chances out of the Broncos at the moment.

The Colonel

Immortal
No Willie and co

It seems we can prepare ourselves for a host of form players to be overlooked for the Tri Nations tour if the train-on squad announced this week is any guide.

I know it's just a squad, but how did someone like Willie Mason get selected? Maybe Wayne Bennett and the selectors feel they owe the big bloke something after his injury suffered against the USA last December.

But how will that be fair to players like Glenn Morrison, Dean Widders, John Skandalis, Luke O'Donnell, Steve Southern, Lance Thompson, Dean Young, Ben Creagh or Paul Gallen?

An end of season tour should be reward for players for their form during the season, not as a follow-up to a series played almost 12 months earlier. That's the way the old Kangaroo tours used to work. Remember how the grand finalists used to end up with half a dozen players or more in the squad?

Now obviously the squad picked these days is a lot smaller, but if Dean Widders, Dean Young and Lance Thompson get selected ahead of the likes of incumbent Test players like Tonie Carroll, Craig Wing and Craig Fitzgibbon, you won't get any complaints from me.

What about PJ Marsh? I challenge anyone to argue with me the fact that he's had a far better season than Craig Wing. If PJ's form holds up during the finals series, or even Robbie Farah's, they should be picked ahead of Wing in my book.
Wayne Bennett has to realise the national coaching job is a custodian's role. It is not one to be abused by showing your own loyalties. Loyalty is admirable, but to deny someone who has earned the chance to wear the green and gold is an injustice.
http://sports.ninemsn.com.au/nrl/grounds.aspx

parra pete

Referee
Pack ya bags Paul, the days of seventy cents a litre are over. And the Price is not right. Bailey Stringer Ryles maybe.

The Colonel

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
colonel...that is andrew voss' opinion, and he doesnt get it right all the time

It is an opnion and I'm not expecting him to be right. But what he does say has some merit to it. To be hinest there is too much loyalty being shown to players who have done SFA this year.....

Mr Saab

Referee
i have mixed opinions on loyalty.
Do we chop and change the australian team every yr because players shows outstanding form compared to the incumbents? If that was the case over the past 40 yrs we would have had an extra 500 odd players represent Australia. Doesnt seem right IMO.
It should be harder to get into the side that get out.
On the other hand, we have players who really have had great yrs like Hodgson, Prince, King, Gasnier who deserve a place in the team.
Tough call.

The Colonel

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
i have mixed opinions on loyalty.
Do we chop and change the australian team every yr because players shows outstanding form compared to the incumbents? If that was the case over the past 40 yrs we would have had an extra 500 odd players represent Australia. Doesnt seem right IMO.
It should be harder to get into the side that get out.
On the other hand, we have players who really have had great yrs like Hodgson, Prince, King, Gasnier who deserve a place in the team.
Tough call.

Given the fact that players like Wing, Mason and to a lesser extent Fitzy have not been anywhere near the form they have been in previously, shouldn't the form players be rewarded with their spot? Hodgson, Prince, King, Gasnier do deserve a spot. You could well argue the toss for the players Vossy mentions as well.

This was the sqaud announced earlier in the season for the Test match.

Luke Bailey, Shaun Berrigan, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Craig Fitzgibbon, Craig Gower, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Kennedy, Brett Kimmorley, Luke Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Anthony Minichiello, Mark O'Meley, Steve Price, Luke Priddis, Luke Rooney, Andrew Ryan, Jason Ryles, Matt Sing, Billy Slater, Willie Tonga, Trent Waterhouse, Craig Wing

You could argue that the highlighted names probably shouldn't be in the team based on current form. It is likely though that a number of them will take the place of players who are in better form on the back of loyalty.

Mr Saab

Referee
rooney is not going.
Waterhouse i doubt will go
Sing has not impressed really in 05
Tonga will not go...injury
TC i have doubts about
Kimmorley is not going
Hindmarsh is iffy because of his knee
Slater is not going
Luke Lewis is iffy

the others i cant see missing out.

The Colonel

Immortal
Berrigan started the season well. Don't know if his form now warrants his selection. Particularly ahead of Smith, Gasnier, Tahu, Cooper and King. Fitzgibbon should go but he needs a break. Bennett is a fan of Wing but his form this year hasn't been near what it has in the past.

Hindmarsh will be there.

Mr Saab

Referee
dont know about hindmarsh. He isnt going to start running until next monday. I hope he goes as he was a revalation on last yrs tour. Just missed out on player of the tour (minichiello won)
Berrigan will cause alot of controversy....alot.

The Colonel

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
dont know about hindmarsh. He isnt going to start running until next monday.

Says who? ;-)

Berrigan will cause alot of controversy....alot.

Too much. He has done well in the first part of the season but if he manages to go ahead of King, Gasnier and Cooper than the selectors need a long hard look at themselves.....

Latest posts