What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your bolters for the Roo tour

skeepe

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
i cant remember the last player chosen for a tour who was a consistent bench player throughout the yr...as good as Widders is i cant see it happening.

Trent Waterhouse in 2003. Wasn't really that long ago.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Scott said:
And some pink pants.

I don't think Wing will go. He'd be better for the break!

He will go, same with your other Roosters who always seem to get picked Fitzy, Minichello, Anasta (possibly), Cross (maybe).

the_eel

Juniors
steaming stormer said:
why is Tahu seen as a certainty. Sure, he is in form at the moment, but if you look at the whole year, he would be in the mix but far from a certainty

Just my opinion with Tahu but I would be very surprised if he missed selection. He can cover both the wing and centre positions and has been successful in the rep scene on the past. I think he might have some fairly significant backing in the right places however I do believe that in his current form he would rightfully have to be one of the Top 17 players in our game.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Like Newton, good form or not, he will not get a gig ahead of: O'Meley, Price, Ryles, Bailey, Civonoceva and probably a few others

lockyno1

Post Whore
parra pete said:
Start packing your bags, Paul Stringer. You are gonna be a Kangaroo..

There are too many props ahead of him!

You have Civonoceva, Price (starting props), then you have O'Meley, Bailey, Ryles (he always gets picked). How many props do you want to take!

skeepe

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
like to know the ratio of bench games to starting games

Trent Waterhouse was in the run-on team 3 times and on the bench 21 times in 2003. If you count finals appearances, those figures are 4 and 23 respectively.

Mr Saab

Referee
thanks skeepe.
Well there you go, he was the last.
However i will say that 19 players pulled out of that tour. That wont be the case in 2005.

mickdo

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
i cant remember the last player chosen for a tour who was a consistent bench player throughout the yr...as good as Widders is i cant see it happening.
Mason? Didn't he come off the bench a fair bit before he was picked for rep?

Raider_69

Post Whore
that precident or not id still have Widders over Newton. Not only because he has played better footy this year but because Widders has more utility value, he can cover lock, back row, bench or centres pretty well... might even be able to slot in at prop if needed

Mr Saab

Referee
mickdo said:
Mason? Didn't he come off the bench a fair bit before he was picked for rep?

yes he was, that was 2002 vs GB. Thanks Mickdo.

there is a precedent, but not an overly solid one.
Widders would have to win the clive churchill medal to make it

Alba

Coach
the_eel said:
Just my opinion with Tahu but I would be very surprised if he missed selection. He can cover both the wing and centre positions and has been successful in the rep scene on the past. I think he might have some fairly significant backing in the right places however I do believe that in his current form he would rightfully have to be one of the Top 17 players in our game.

Yeah I agree, if Tahu didn't get picked I would be very surprised. He is on fire lately and even if he started the year off a little slow he's making up for it now and like it is said above he has been successful on the rep scene in the past. He is familiar with the pressure of rep footy and if they pick him i'm sure he will do Australia proud once again!!

btw my bolter is John Sutton :)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:

if the eels make the GF and win, he would be in my top 3 favourites to take it out

mickdo

Coach
Charlie Saab said:

I think a lot will also depend on how many second rowers actually tour. You can bet Hindy won't. He'll need more surgery and rehab in the break to get over his PCL tear. As previously mentioned, Widders can also cover a lot of positions. Apart from the centres he's been playing 5/8 for us at the end of plenty of games this year too.

The Colonel

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:

Not necessarily. Widders has played most of his career from the bench. For mine that makes him an ideal selection - some players find it hard to inject themselves into a game from the bench as they are used to starting and then coming on again later.

Expect the most bolters to come from whoever wins the GF. It usually happens that way......

Latest posts