What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your \"hard bastard\" 17 of all time

Fangs

Coach
Craig Gower mentioned yet?

Plenty of stories. The one I remember most was a home game at Penrith round 2004.

Knocked. Out. Cold. Spent about 10 minutes on the ground with docs, felt like an eternity. Was assisted back to his feet and couldn't stand up by himself. You'd be certain that any player would go straight off the ground. After another 2 minutes the docs left and he played out the set and the rest of the game.

Compound fracture to one of his fingers. Got it tapped up, injection and played the second half.

Something brutal in Origin with his knee, can't exactly remember. Played on, every time he kicked the ball he dropped to the ground in agony.

Andddddd he once ripped out his drip and left a hospital bed on game day to line up.

Big Pete

Referee
Josh Miller told a great story on The Locker Room about the time Alan Tongue required two pain-killing injections in his septum in order to play with a badly broken nose. Apparently the break was so bad, his entire nose rotated to one side of his face.

First Grade
Joey leaving hospital with 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung to play the 97 grand final sticks in my mind.

carcharias

Immortal
Craig Gower mentioned yet?

Plenty of stories. The one I remember most was a home game at Penrith round 2004.

Knocked. Out. Cold. Spent about 10 minutes on the ground with docs, felt like an eternity. Was assisted back to his feet and couldn't stand up by himself. You'd be certain that any player would go straight off the ground. After another 2 minutes the docs left and he played out the set and the rest of the game.

Compound fracture to one of his fingers. Got it tapped up, injection and played the second half.

Something brutal in Origin with his knee, can't exactly remember. Played on, every time he kicked the ball he dropped to the ground in agony.

Andddddd he once ripped out his drip and left a hospital bed on game day to line up.

And doesn't even compare to the mess he was in when he played a game of golf once.

carcharias

Immortal
Not a fan of his
( maybe this has been mentioned)
Kimmorley played with a split testicle.

That takes balls

Pedge1971

First Grade
Hopefully mentioned but 'David Cement' Gillespie. He certainly could rattle the ribs in a tackle.

From memory he had an injured finger crushed in a work accident. It needed and operation to save it which would have made him miss the finals.

Cement told them to cut it off at the knuckle and played on.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Josh Miller told a great story on The Locker Room about the time Alan Tongue required two pain-killing injections in his septum in order to play with a badly broken nose. Apparently the break was so bad, his entire nose rotated to one side of his face.
That would've improved his looks.

I heard that the midwife attending to
From memory he had an injured finger crushed in a work accident. It needed and operation to save it which would have made him miss the finals.

Cement told them to cut it off at the knuckle and played on.
That was what the media was told which is incorrect.

Dave actually fell down the back stairs of his flat at Lakemba blind drunk while taking up his daughter's pram. He badly broke a finger in the process.

Source: Diane Gillespie (nee Gilligan) Dave's wife and a very good friend of mine.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Old memory of Willie Carne in SoO where the trainer went to staple him up for a cut over the eye on the ground and the staple gun jammed in his forehead.He ran off trying to make a tackle with it still hanging off his face....tough but still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Other honourable mentions not added so far -

Olsen Phillopina when he pulled on a kiwi jersey, he was a monster...remember him cleaning up Wally Lewis in one test, which was no mean feat

I think Noel Crusher Cleal was a tough (but fair) hard ba$t@rd as well...had his finger bitten off by a zazorback from memory.

Gary Larsen was another that deserves an honourable mention

Outside of those, I agree with most of the players mentioned, particularly from the 70's and early 80's but a couple of more recents I think would cope in any era;

Jarrod Waerea-Hargreaves would be a tough nut in any era and would probably have flourished more in those eras where the traditional 'softening up' period allowed by referees meant free for all.

The other bloke would be Gordon Tallis - that SoO where somebody had a sign up about his mother being a 'rig' - you could see his eyes bulging from the other end of the stadium he was that fired up and the way he ragdolled Brett Hodgson (LOL) -

Brett hodgson was ridiculously insane to even set foot on the ground, take that back!

Life's Good

Coach
Old memory of Willie Carne in SoO where the trainer went to staple him up for a cut over the eye on the ground and the staple gun jammed in his forehead.He ran off trying to make a tackle with it still hanging off his face....tough but still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Other honourable mentions not added so far -

Olsen Phillopina when he pulled on a kiwi jersey, he was a monster...remember him cleaning up Wally Lewis in one test, which was no mean feat

I think Noel Crusher Cleal was a tough (but fair) hard ba$t@rd as well...had his finger bitten off by a zazorback from memory.

Gary Larsen was another that deserves an honourable mention

Outside of those, I agree with most of the players mentioned, particularly from the 70's and early 80's but a couple of more recents I think would cope in any era;

Jarrod Waerea-Hargreaves would be a tough nut in any era and would probably have flourished more in those eras where the traditional 'softening up' period allowed by referees meant free for all.

The other bloke would be Gordon Tallis - that SoO where somebody had a sign up about his mother being a 'rig' - you could see his eyes bulging from the other end of the stadium he was that fired up and the way he ragdolled Brett Hodgson (LOL) -

That wasn't Willie Carne, it was Mick DeVere with the staple gun incident in Origin.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Jason Croker played the whole second half of a game against the Roosters in 2001 with a torn cruciate ligament in one knee and strained ankle ligaments in the other leg.