What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nate Smith article

playdaball

Bench
griff said:
I agree, clubs aren't going to risk their salary cap money on project players from minor nations. International RL (and I believe the NRL) suffers as a result. But I would go further.

As I've said a few times there should be an incentive for clubs to have players from minor nations on their books. There should be a 150% salary cap exemption for these players. If Parramatta have say Nate Smith on their books and are paying him $50,000 a year, not only would his salary be exempt from the salary cap, Parramatta would get a cap exemption of an additional $25,000 that they could spend on other players.

I think this rule should be in place for any player who is not eligible for Australia, NZ, or England.

Interesting and good idea however ...

Clubs would bend the rules especially with regard to Pacific Island nations. A club such as the Warriors would have 65% of their players able to play for PI nations therefore they would have alot of incremental $$ available. The salary cap, which IMO has been great for RL, would no longer exist.

It would be good though to see some type of plan developed and supported by ESL/NRL clubs.

The Observer

Staff member
playdaball, you could make it so the player would need to originate from an emerging nation (not necessarily born, but have grown up of lived there for a few years) AND have played their junior footy there.

This would rule out nearly all the Warriors of PI descent, because nearly all were born in NZ/have lived most of their life there and played their junior league in NZ

carlnz

Bench
I think everyone is losing site here, look at the positives the article about an International League player made the SMH. This is good promotion for the International game.

I wish him well, maybe if USA played more Internationals against a higher level team other than Japan and Italy you never know what scouts could be watching..

griff

Bench
True playdaball, that's why i proposed that the exemption would cover "players who are not eligible for Australia, New Zealand or England" so that NZ's PI contingent cannot all be exempt. However if a player (even one who is NZ born) plays for a PI and and therefore makes himself ineligible for NZ, the exemption should apply.

This way it would also apply for domestic Welsh players etc.

The thing is we have to make developing international RL in the vested interests of the clubs. I think this is one way to really improve international RL without it actually costing the RLIF or governing bodies any money.

magpie_man

Juniors
griff said:
I agree, clubs aren't going to risk their salary cap money on project players from minor nations. International RL (and I believe the NRL) suffers as a result. But I would go further.

As I've said a few times there should be an incentive for clubs to have players from minor nations on their books. There should be a 150% salary cap exemption for these players. If Parramatta have say Nate Smith on their books and are paying him $50,000 a year, not only would his salary be exempt from the salary cap, Parramatta would get a cap exemption of an additional $25,000 that they could spend on other players.

I think this rule should be in place for any player who is not eligible for Australia, NZ, or England.
i don't think this is a good idea, as you'd see the richer clubs recruiting sh1tloads of international players on high salaries so they can raise their salary cap. 100% exeption is a good idea.

slow frontrower

Juniors
phonetic said:
I wouldn't have him near my side from what I've seen.

I think no one is interested because he's not at NRL standard. He's handy, and one of the better American products, but I don't think he's up to week in week out NRL. The Qld Cup/Premier League would be more suitable.

I think he's got the wrong idea bitching and moaning about a fella 6-7 years ago ruining his dream. If he's good enough he'll make it, regardless of who went before him.

Brian Smith thought he could have made in the NRL if he stayed in OZ, according to my mate who played for Parra.

The tour in 2004 showed him after he'd played exactly 1 month of league. In 2005 he played for about 15 min. He ruined his ankle v Coast & Valley and played about 5 min of that game. He played for 5 min against Tweed, intercepted a pass, and ran it back 90 meters with about 3kg's of tape on his ankle then didn't play after that.

Nate Smith has exceptional pace. More so than prob 9 out of 10 wingers in the NRL. That being said He'd have to play a season at Jim Beam Cup before he played Premier League. He'd prob be on the bench to start.

Could he make in the NRL? Who knows. To play at the level you have to be insanely good, and for most on the fringe there is a lot of luck involved. But I do think he could make a dent in the Jim Beam Cup.

Play some footy

Juniors
Jim Beam standard is compariable to the top Country Sides (New Castle, Illawara, etc) and he'd be lucky to make reggies there.

I heard the exact opposite from the boys in Parra - mostly that the kids likes to back himself.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
What a shame he hasnt kicked on yet.

I believe this guy had the potential to be anything, and the NRL narrow mindedness wouldnt consider player of NFL background then, and perhaps even now?

gyallop

Juniors
from left field but yet ....9 years later ...been a bundle of Americans and Canadians over here since who haven't cut it ..athletic ability only gets you so far..guys that can cross codes are rare.

Latest posts