What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown to Depart at Season’s End

Old Timer

Coach
You don’t think the current Dragons’ squad needs rebuilding?
It needs a coach who can bring the best out of our juniors rather than just identify them.
IMO squad needs to cull all the deadwood and finally promote from within before it goes to market.
The only exception would be to buy a quality centre, winger and maybe a full back depending on Lomax and you don’t need Brown to do that

SEAT 1A

Bench
Yes please. He did a wonderful job at Huddersfield, can do what Mary does in eight hours of the day and still do the other responsibilities of the coach and hopefully watch a few CC games.

At the very least, won't throw players on the scrap heap as he can coach, everyone knows where they stand, no excuses, no one will be thrown under the bus.

matPORTS

Juniors
Has the board woken up yet?

Brown moving on from the Knights.

The Knights now seeking the best possible replacement.

Our options again become severely limited, with possibly more clubs entering the coaching merry-go-round at seasons end... approximately three weeks away.

Surely with this news last night we MUST act??

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Has the board woken up yet?

Brown moving on from the Knights.

The Knights now seeking the best possible replacement.

Our options again become severely limited, with possibly more clubs entering the coaching merry-go-round at seasons end... approximately three weeks away.

Surely with this news last night we MUST act??
Why would the board need to act?

We have a coach secured for the next two seasons..

Unlike Newcastle..

lol@newcastle..

St Georgio

Juniors
The Newcastle Knights were a complete basket case when Brown took over, from top to bottom, They were on there Knees, Browns win Percentage (26%)suffered because of this.
Browns Win% from 2003-2014 is 58.3%
McWreckor is 48%(2014-2019).These are the stats we should be looking at!
Bring Back Browny and Smithy.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The Newcastle Knights were a complete basket case when Brown took over, from top to bottom, They were on there Knees, Browns win Percentage (26%)suffered because of this.
If you’re excluding Brown’s years where there are excuses for his performance, we should be fair and balance out McGregor’s excuses too:
2014 - only half a year, dealing with mess left by previous coach. Exclude.
2015 - still cleaning up previous coach’s mess, but made finals. Include 50%
2016 - first year having coached after making finals, new territory coaching as defending 8th place winners. Exclude.
2017 - First year coaching after a full season where we missed the finals. Plus dealing with mess caused by Demitri. Exclude.
2018 - 81 minutes from a grand final. Include 62.5%
2019 - DeBelin issues. Travel issues. Origin issues. Opposition keep kicking issues. Exclude.

McGregor: 56.3%

That’s a winning record. Keep.

BLM01

First Grade
What is it with peoples love affair to bring Brian Smith & Nathan Brown back to St George to save us.
What have they achieved in the NRL in the past 10 years..especially Brian Smith after being sacked by the Roosters due to player power in 2012.
He is General Manager or similar at the Warriors past 2 years...how have they been going..and they too gave Kearney an extension early in the year but that just slips by our media.

Move on from old employees..there is plenty of fresh potential coaching eyes out there
someone else said it earlier..maybe brownie would be a great attacking coach assistant or a great talent identifier..but coach not convinced as he is too honest and matey with his players.
Brown did have a premium squad at his disposal in the mid 00's before that ship sailed and golden opportunity for a premiership was missed and by the time he left the team was weakening.
He was coached by Brian Smith..the perennial coach that started the choker tag being applied to his teams..he has proven that at Dragons, Parra & Roosters

BLM01

First Grade
Browny was also given a licence a few years ago to spend and buy who he needed to take that team to glory with a cashed up wealthy leagues club and a board or people behind the scenes with good rugby league knowledge.
Newcastle has identified already that he is not the man to take them to the next level...why is it now Saints supporters see that different and believe he can.
and Brian Smith....why..maybe if we go back in time to 1990...worth another shot.

St Georgio

Juniors
Don't worry guys my tip is Browny will return to the Saints where he won his last Premiership.
By the way watch this Guy create magic Justin Holbrook 80% winning success!
Just maybe once Mr Below Average is done and dusted our smart Board Members may have a play at Justin.

BLM01

First Grade
Don't worry guys my tip is Browny will return to the Saints where he won his last Premiership.
By the way watch this Guy create magic Justin Holbrook 80% winning success!
St helens have chosen brownie's assistant kristian Woolf apparently over him..which speaks volumes..TBA after CC this weekend.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
C'mon Paul McGregor, this is your big chance, an opportunity to coach some quality players in Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer and Saifiti.

You know you want to!

Plus I don't think their gym has ever been painted!

Get your application in now! Before its too late.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Agree with this,

Reading the release on NRL site, Brownie did make a point of talking up his success ( which is rare for him to do ), and also the CEO was full of praise , highlighting the poor state of affairs Nathan inherited. Sounds to me like he was pushed , thus the praise from the CEO.

I agree mate....just watched his interview and he went to great lenghts to put on a brave face and kept repeating it was his decision and his only and it was the right thing to do for the club but for mine he got the tap on the shoulder.....unfortunately for us our Imposter wont be getting a tap any time soon

merahputih

Juniors
I agree mate....just watched his interview and he went to great lenghts to put on a brave face and kept repeating it was his decision and his only and it was the right thing to do for the club but for mine he got the tap on the shoulder.....unfortunately for us our Imposter wont be getting a tap any time soon
At least Brownie left with his dignity intact, instead of being sacked. I can't see our man doing anything like that.

Btk

Juniors
At least Brownie left with his dignity intact, instead of being sacked. I can't see our man doing anything like that.
Dignity and integrity. Meanwhile, McGoose is happy to standby and let everyone else be scapegoats for his failings.... from Assistant Coaches to the youngsters told to look elsewhere. I'm so p1ssed off right now

If you’re excluding Brown’s years where there are excuses for his performance, we should be fair and balance out McGregor’s excuses too:
2014 - only half a year, dealing with mess left by previous coach. Exclude.
2015 - still cleaning up previous coach’s mess, but made finals. Include 50%
2016 - first year having coached after making finals, new territory coaching as defending 8th place winners. Exclude.
2017 - First year coaching after a full season where we missed the finals. Plus dealing with mess caused by Demitri. Exclude.
2018 - 81 minutes from a grand final. Include 62.5%
2019 - DeBelin issues. Travel issues. Origin issues. Opposition keep kicking issues. Exclude.

McGregor: 56.3%

That’s a winning record. Keep.
Hilarious insight.
You should be on the Board.

Yes please. He did a wonderful job at Huddersfield, can do what Mary does in eight hours of the day and still do the other responsibilities of the coach and hopefully watch a few CC games.

At the very least, won't throw players on the scrap heap as he can coach, everyone knows where they stand, no excuses, no one will be thrown under the bus.
Whether you rate Brown as a coach or not, you can't deny his class.
Didn't wait to be tapped on the shoulder and handled his exit from the Knights with a sensible maturity that we just have never seen from McGregor.
Imagine that the Knights were talking to other coaches even with the Knights a chance to make the finals.
Brown was handed a basket case and can leave Newcastle with his head held high.
He also handed us an almighty hiding earlier this season.
McGregor on the other hand, will have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the coach's box.
Where did we find our joker??

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
I have never met Brownie or McImposter but one appears honest the other totally self deluded who has no qualms about throwing anyone under the bus.

One would give young guys a go and not persist with retirees.
Would i want Brownie back as head coach ? Probably not but would take him in preference to the incumbent. Would be good to have him back as an assistant or recruitment / retention guy.