What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

newyboy

Juniors
I never rated him as a player and as a coach he failed with the Saints and ThevESL doesn't count in my opinion.

We should have gone with the walker Bros.

coaching for Newcastle is like being a member of the Australian Cricket Team, no matter how Crap you are, apparently you can bat your way into form in the national team.

1qaz

Juniors
We really need a few workmanlike forwards who can do the basics right. Aside from Smith, I'd argue we don't have a forward that fits into that roll-up-the-sleeves and get work done mould.

Scott was good for that, but at the moment it's firebrands and young guns when Smith isn't on deck.

For all the hate Snowden gets, the Knights used to have plays that involved him linking up with the halves and backline. Yet to see one backline movement involving one of the forwards this year.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I never rated him as a player and as a coach he failed with the Saints and ThevESL doesn't count in my opinion.

coaching for Newcastle is like being a member of the Australian Cricket Team, no matter how Crap you are, apparently you can bat your way into form in the national team.

I'd have preferred the Walker Brothers myself, as I think they're a better fit for the club and where it's at.

That being said, Brown would be a good fit if we were in the financial position to capitalize on his connections in the UK.

Alex28

Coach
This year is a write off. We have to stop expecting wins. This year is about getting the players we want in the team from next year on experience, picking the players we want to be rid of and playing them in NSW Cup highlighting they don't have a future with us, and being aggressive in the market and acting like a club with a plan.

Alex28

Coach

The Walkers would have been a disaster with our current team.

Brown has a long-term plan and he has to be given the time. 9 games with a team he completely inherited is not a fair basis to assess.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The Walkers would have been a disaster with our current team.

Brown has a long-term plan and he has to be given the time. 9 games with a team he completely inherited is not a fair basis to assess.

My worry is that he won't be given the time and/or resources to actually follow through on it.

Knee-jerk reactions are commonplace in professional sport.

Alex28

Coach
If we don't give him the time we won't get the coaches wanting to come here that we either want or need.

What we need to get him is the resources. No one seems to give a shit about that.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If we don't give him the time we won't get the coaches wanting to come here that we either want or need.

I agree. The time isn't going to do him a whole lot of good if he doesn't also have the resources to build a competitive team, sadly.

There is not a single coach in the universe that would coach this team any higher than 15th or 16th.

Our players just arent good enough.

When a team is completely out gunned in every possible way they will always make loads of basic errors. If you put this same team, same coach, same game plan into a local sydney comp they would hardly make an error and would be able to lay on great trys from anywhere.

The basics are hard to do when every indiividual player is out of their depth.

Sadly, it will probably be the same for another 2 years

Brown mentions in the press conference how good Pearce was and how he expected him to add class when he was a NSW halfback.
That was with Hodko sitting next to him. Either he forgot Hodko was also a NSW half or he was giving him a public nudge.
Seems he is happy wit Gagai;s progress as a fullback. I'm not.
We have more of today to come. Therapy isn't covered by my insurance.

Wizardman

First Grade
Nathan Brown is taking on the hardest coaching gig in the NRL (by far).
It is the worst Newcastle squad in its history....by a fair length too. None of this is Nathan Brown's fault.
Im sure he is busting his ass off to provide good efforts every week. Om most weeks, they play as hard as the can with their limited ability. Apart from the first two weeks, I have not seen them turn up their toes and give in.

Give him time.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Brown needs to get the 3 years it says on his contract, there isn't a coach out there who would have this team performing better. Brown is literally coaching a NSW Cup team and trying to pass it off as an NRL team, he's trying to polish a turd basically.

The main thing I'm looking for with Brown is who he tries to recruit over the next couple of years, this will tell us a lot more about him as a coach because we won't win many games until we get a few new players at the club who collectively want to work together to turn it around. No amount of coaching will change that, either we get some new guys in or nothing changes.

newyboy

Juniors
B Smith was allowed wholesale changes and did nothing, WAYNE was allowed changes amd had cash and all he could being was "OLD" blokes, that was our chance to sign a superstar to replace Joey's legacy.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
B Smith was allowed wholesale changes and did nothing, WAYNE was allowed changes amd had cash and all he could being was "OLD" blokes, that was our chance to sign a superstar to replace Joey's legacy.

I disagree, the team Smith put together showed plenty of potential and was flying in 2009 and we looked like a lock-in for top 4 that year with about 1/3 of the year to go. Then the club made the first of many bad decisions and decided he was only getting 1 extra year, then he signed with the roosters and our year fell apart after that and we scraped into the 8. If Smith had an extra couple of years at the club during that time I think we might be seeing something different at the moment because the future might have been set up a bit better.

Alex28

Coach
He has inherited a terrible salary cap position.

I read this morning that Penrith can afford to chase Bird, Tamou and Cherrington for next year. How on earth have they got it so right and we have it so wrong?

He needs to be given the time to work us out of the mess we're in. We need him.

Spot On

Coach
He has inherited a terrible salary cap position.

I read this morning that Penrith can afford to chase Bird, Tamou and Cherrington for next year. How on earth have they got it so right and we have it so wrong?

He needs to be given the time to work us out of the mess we're in. We need him.

Remember a few years back when they punted their massively overpaid, under performing stars and started to bring their next generation of juniors through. We are hopefully going to do something similar. Unfortunately it is going to take some time.