What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

Swarzey

Bench
Cogger is like Brooks and Moses IMO. Quality half, can and will be NRL standard but lacks the size to stand up in defence at this point. Lets just hope Brown puts him back in 20's when the opportunity comes so we don't make the same mistake Wests did.

perverse

Referee
It's not just size, I don't think he likes to defend much, and also makes poor reads. He's a woeful defender in every sense of the phrase, it's not just size. Danny Levi isn't huge, but he's always had a dig.

Cogger is a long way off ready. Further than Lamb I reckon.

macavity

Referee
Cogger set up 2 tries but was terrible in defence again this week. He is extremely slow and very small and is being targeted by the opposition. Until he can show he can defend he shouldn't be in 1st grade. It is as simple as that.

Hodko can at least defend but he was a dud buy

So so glad Hodko chose us over GC...

K-Man

Bench
There are so many halves I'd want over Hodko it's not funny. He's the epitome of plod.

I think we went about it all wrong when we bought him. We should have recognised his limitations and invested in proven quality in any positions where quality was available. Our whole team needs help so I'd only be willing to pay that kind of money when the player is worth it - a forward leader, an actual fullback.

I have no problem with us spending on a halfback, but it needed to be a quality one, otherwise we should have invested in young halves talent like the Titans and spent that money elsewhere.

The scary part is that he currently has everything to play for and is still useless - he's just changed clubs and wants to show what he can do, he was the current SOO halfback looking to hold his spot, he was made captain, he's 27 and more likely to go down in performance than up. So the next two years I'm pretty much expecting the same thing or a little worse.

1qaz

Juniors
Brown has been a massive fail on and off the field.
He complains how the Knights salary cap is in a mess.
That's a cop out.
If he wants to move players on he can.
Tell them they don't have a future at Newcastle and send them to NSW cup.
The players will eventually ask for a release.

Blooding all these rookies is just buying him time and excuses to get flogged by 50 every week.
In 5 years time, 70% of these rookies he has blooded won't even be playing first grade.

Another big mistake Brown made was to make Tariq as one of the captains.
How the heck did he think Tariq was captain material? He spends half the year suspended or injured. Now he won't even be with the club :crazy:
Then you have the situation with Tapine.
Knights would've been silly to match what the Raiders offered.
But now with Tariq gone, the money wouldn't have been an issue to keep Tapine and now the Knights are short 2 back rowers.
Just dumb dumb from Brown. He has NFI.

I keep hearing Brown is building towards the future.
His recruitment tells me otherwise.
He only goes after the scraps and players that will always only be fringe first grader even if they do live up to their potential.
He should be going after the best juniors and offered them decent $$$ and a chance to play first grade.
During the off season Brown recruited a nothing halfback in Pearsall.
Why not go sign an Ash Taylor or Jayden Nikorima?
What about his other recruit in Bhana? Where will he be in 5 years time? :crazy:
Even this week his 2 recruits are nothing but scraps.
If he was going to recruit anyone from the Raiders, surely TPJ would've been the player :crazy:
Joseh Manu from the Roosters would've been a much better buy than Elliot.
Just dumb dumb from Brown.
Is he hoping all these fringe first graders would make a good team in 5 years time? :crazy:

Noname36

First Grade
I don't have a problem Browny introducing youth but only if they are ready. Denniss, Cogger, Mamo are not NRL standard and is destroying what little confidence the side has. They have a defeatist attitude prior to going out to play.

Browny's goodwill will vanish quickly if he continues to blindly put youth in irrespective of whether they are ready or not.

Who else are we going to pick?

People keep talking about how many kids are in the side like it's been a massive plan - I see it as not having any other options.

Or do people think we should have persisted with more of the experienced under performers we've let go to prevent these floggings?

Everyone is talking about Cogger as an example but Mullen, Feeney and Lamb all had to go down with serious injuries before he was called up. Who else is there lol? Sure we could move Randall to the halves but then either Levi is forced to play 80 before he's ready or we bring in another young hooker that is no more ready than Cogger anyway.

The only one I disagree with personally was Aku being dropped but honestly I know a lot of people see that differently and tbh Dennis has been holding his own until today (and it's not like Aku ever performs any better against the Warriors).

We were going better at the start of the season before the injury toll started mounting and we lost experience. Not great obviously but we could at least compete with the likes of Canberra, the Tigers and Melbourne.

We just have zero depth because our two previous coaches thought it was a good idea to sign all of our average first graders up to massive contracts and there was none left for anyone else.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Can we get one thing straight please........

Was the Knights salary cap a mess when Nathan Brown took the job?

Yes or No.

Noname36

First Grade
That's a cop out.
Tell them they don't have a future at Newcastle and send them to NSW cup.

Blooding all these rookies is just buying him time and excuses to get flogged by 50 every week.
In 5 years time, 70% of these rookies he has blooded won't even be playing first grade.

How the heck did he think Tariq was captain material? He spends half the year suspended or injured. Now he won't even be with the club :crazy:
Knights would've been silly to match what the Raiders offered.
But now with Tariq gone, the money wouldn't have been an issue to keep Tapine and now the Knights are short 2 back rowers.
Just dumb dumb from Brown. He has NFI.

He only goes after the scraps and players that will always only be fringe first grader even if they do live up to their potential.
He should be going after the best juniors and offered them decent $$$ and a chance to play first grade.
What about his other recruit in Bhana? Where will he be in 5 years time? :crazy:
If he was going to recruit anyone from the Raiders, surely TPJ would've been the player :crazy:
Is he hoping all these fringe first graders would make a good team in 5 years time? :crazy:

I know you don't watch the Knights but this has already been happening.

What do you expect brown to actually do? Break players contracts and move them on which is against the law? Then buy up a bunch of match winners of which there aren't many on the market? who exactly do you want Nathan brown to select in his team every week? He is selecting the best possible players we have available.

Seriously do you mob have any idea about the current situation we are in?

1qaz

Juniors
I know you don't watch the Knights but this has already been happening.

He should've told these players during the offseason.
Not wait around till the team gets flogged every week.
He has NFI.
I wonder if Brown is still interested in Greg Eden? :lol:

Swarzey

Bench
I just don't expect anything until 2018. That's when Brown and pretty much everyone at the club says the cap will be settled and he'll have "his team" at that point. I don't know any better and I don't act like I do but I know how many overpaid merkins we have strangling the cap so I'll take their word.

Noname36

First Grade
He should've told these players during the offseason.
Not wait around till the team gets flogged every week.
He has NFI.
I wonder if Brown is still interested in Greg Eden? :lol:

He did tell most of them in the off season, a few more of them were given a chance to prove their worth this year but they didn't so now they're being tapped on the shoulder/dropped.

You do realise that simply telling someone they're not in the plans/won't be getting an upgrade doesn't magically put all their money back into the cap right away right?

Noname36

First Grade
What do you expect brown to actually do? Break players contracts and move them on which is against the law? Then buy up a bunch of match winners of which there aren't many on the market? who exactly do you want Nathan brown to select in his team every week? He is selecting the best possible players we have available.

I honestly don't think they do.

Spot On

Coach

Please don't paint us with the 1qaz brush.

1qaz

Juniors
He did tell most of them in the off season, a few more of them were given a chance to prove their worth this year but they didn't so now they're being tapped on the shoulder/dropped.

You do realise that simply telling someone they're not in the plans/won't be getting an upgrade doesn't magically put all their money back into the cap right away right?

You do realize if Brown told Uate & Stockwell during the preseason that they didn't have a future at the club they will be playing NSW Cup they would've asked for a release.
The Knights would pay part of their contract but sure beats paying the full amount!
Greg Eden would've came early too :lol:

1qaz

Juniors
1qaz

Was the Knights cap a mess when Brown took the job?

Yes/No.

I answered for you already.

That's a cop out.
Tell them they don't have a future here and drop them to NSW cup.

How the heck did he think Tariq was captain material? He spends half the year suspended or injured. Now he won't even be with the club
Knights would be silly to match what the Raiders offered.
But now with Tariq gone, the money wouldn't have been an issue to keep Tapine. Just dumb dumb from Brown. He has NFI.

What about his other recruit in Bhana? Where will he be in 5 years time?
If he was going to recruit anyone from the Raiders, surely TPJ would've been the player

Noname36

First Grade
You do realize if Brown told Uate & Stockwell during the preseason that they didn't have a future at the club they will be playing NSW Cup they would've asked for a release.
The Knights would pay part of their contract but sure beats paying the full amount!
Greg Eden would've came early too :lol:

Jesus Christ, for starters players can only ask for a release if there is someone else wanting to take them. Why would Uate or Stockwell be in a rush to go anywhere even if on the odd chance another club wanted them? They're guaranteed 500k and 320k+ for a few years and might have been thinking the club would be delusional enough to upgrade them like Tariq was.

Secondly maybe Brown thought he'd given them both a chance to prove their worth first. It's not like either of them have never shown anything.

It's exactly what Bennett did when he was first here. Gave the current squad at the time half a season to see what they could do then he started to move them on.

Actually I'm surprised you're not more a Brown fan to be honest. With all the overpaid under performers being tapped on the shoulder he must see something valuable in Dane.

Burwood

Bench
I like that Brown is blooding young players.

I don't like that Brown is constantly selecting these players week in, week out, when it is clear that they are boys coming up against seasoned veterans.

Ideally, these kids would play a handful of NRL games throughout the entire season, but spend the bulk of 2016 and 2017 developing their skills and body in NSW Cup where they belong.

Unfortunately, we've assembled a squad extremely light on experienced players and with very little depth, so Brown isn't really in a position where he has much choice other than to keep selecting these kids.