What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Last year they told him to concentrate on his defence and steer the team around the park.

This year they told him to concentrate on his defence, his kicking and steering the team around the park. Freddy said that he also expected him to up his involvements.

I don’t think they expected the right side to offer as much as they did on attack. I get the impression that Joey saw a lot more than he expected and I think he will give Nathan more responsibility this time round.

Johns specifically said during yesterday’s broadcast that Clearly needs to be more creative.

Fittler said last year that Cleary needs to learn how to play what’s in front of him.

Concentrate on defence doesn’t mean do nothing in attack.

Plus I don’t understand how you expect his attack to improve this year when you’re saying they’ve told him to concentrate on his defence again?

If they’re teaching him better attacking techniques, wouldn’t they expect him to use them?

And he would of won the dally m in 2003 as a halfback if the awards weren’t cancelled

My point was Gower had the attributes of a hooker, just like many of us say Cleary does.

Your comparison in style was apt.

It’s also possible playing at hooker improved Gowers game.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Johns specifically said during yesterday’s broadcast that Clearly needs to be more creative.

Fittler said last year that Cleary needs to learn how to play what’s in front of him.

Concentrate on defence doesn’t mean do nothing in attack.

Plus I don’t understand how you expect his attack to improve this year when you’re saying they’ve told him to concentrate on his defence again?

If they’re teaching him better attacking techniques, wouldn’t they expect him to use them?

I expect it to improve because I believe that the game plan was to attack down the left. Nathan would have trained the whole week with that in mind.

The left offered nothing. I suspect that they will give him a greater responsibility in game 2. Unless they pick a more dominant 6.

I firmly believe that we would have won that game with Maloney or Pearce on the left hand side.

I expect it to improve because I believe that the game plan was to attack down the left. Nathan would have trained the whole week with that in mind.

The left offered nothing. I suspect that they will give him a greater responsibility in game 2. Unless they pick a more dominant 6.

I firmly believe that we would have won that game with Maloney or Pearce on the left hand side.

When Walker was hooked, Cleary didn’t step up. That was the time to take control. Not only that, he admitted after the game he didn’t even know Walker had been hooked.

That’s what we’re talking about with vision and game smarts.

Anyway I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have expected their no.7 to produce anything in attack after 4 origin games. Not even a line break assist.

OldPanther

Coach
When Walker was hooked, Cleary didn’t step up. That was the time to take control. Not only that, he admitted after the game he didn’t even know Walker had been hooked.

That’s what we’re talking about with vision and game smarts.

Anyway I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have expected their no.7 to produce anything in attack after 4 origin games. Not even a line break assist.

I'm in the middle on Cleary but there's no way an origin halfback is not expected to be a weapon in attack.

I’ve got to say, that Craig Gower comparison is bang on the more I think about it. Not in terms of talent, we don’t know the full story there yet, but in terms of style it’s the closest I think you can compare Nathan to.

But interestingly, Gower never had much success at rep level as a halfback.

Gower got better when he had Campbell come in to be the creative force in the team, but after Campbell left, things fell apart.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I’ve got to say, that Craig Gower comparison is bang on the more I think about it. Not in terms of talent, we don’t know the full story there yet, but in terms of style it’s the closest I think you can compare Nathan to.

But interestingly, Gower never had much success at rep level as a halfback.

Gower got better when he had Campbell come in to be the creative force in the team, but after Campbell left, things fell apart.
This is bang on. Although Gower also had off field issues that I dont expect Nathan will

OldPanther

Coach
You know he's not though?

Do I? It's people on here who insist he's a 9 not a 7. That's debatable and won't ever happen as the club see him as a 7. Therefore he is a halfback and being paid as such.

I think his problem is coaching not ability at 7.

rem286

Juniors
Maybe this year it has been a case of "it's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys"

Marky Mark

Juniors
Do I? It's people on here who insist he's a 9 not a 7. That's debatable and won't ever happen as the club see him as a 7. Therefore he is a halfback and being paid as such.

I think his problem is coaching not ability at 7.
Yeah but you have to work with what you've got (bad coaching at club level), so with that bad coaching he is probably suited to 9. Unfortunately his vision & creativity hasn't improved with all the coaching staff at his disposal including Joey & Freddy.

If I see another bomb that rarely has results I'll scream.

I hope it happens for him at 7 soon but at the moment it's stifling opportunities for points.

I think the other Mark would agree.

Latest posts