What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

In fairness to Nathan, it is a very different game now as opposed to when most of the elite half backs emerged. When do we ever see big Blocker Roach or Lazarus style forwards in our game now, they were a lot easier to run around when tired than the machines who play prop now days.

Yes he does have a ways to go but having a controlled half who can play a structured game isn't a bad thing as long as your other half is creative. Also as others have said, we have no flare outside of the halves so it isn't hard for teams to target Cleary and Maloney and our attack is shut down.

But Maloney has been widely considered to be in bad form this year, and he has 8 try assists to Nathan’s 4.

So maybe our attack is easy to shut down, but Cleary is still being outperformed (as an attacking half) by a guy who almost everyone has said is in bad form.

Maloney also leads the league in forced drop outs with 21 to Nathan’s 8.

Dave's mate

Juniors
But Maloney has been widely considered to be in bad form this year, and he has 8 try assists to Nathan’s 4.

So maybe our attack is easy to shut down, but Cleary is still being outperformed (as an attacking half) by a guy who almost everyone has said is in bad form.

Maloney has also let in more than hes setup

Maloney has also let in more than hes setup

That’s why a specified *as an attacking half*

I don’t doubt Maloney has defensive problems, my point was to highlight what’s going on at the other end of the field.

Although according to fox sports you’re wrong.

Maloney’s missed tackles have been the cause of tries 4 times, same as Nathan.

00FD3277-3138-4D4E-B513-91FF1AB4A634.jpeg

rem286

Juniors
As you would expect from an older more experienced half.

I know Cleary isn't perfect and his form has plateaued recently, but I am confident that any young half playing in the same team would be struggling to do anything spectacular on a consistent basis.

Dave's mate

Juniors

I don’t doubt Maloney has defensive problems, my point was to highlight what’s going on at the other end of the field.

View attachment 30421
That stat is way off what actually happens. The whole side of the field is compromised. He pretty much has to perform like yesterday to be worth it

As you would expect from an older more experienced half.

I know Cleary isn't perfect and his form has plateaued recently, but I am confident that any young half playing in the same team would be struggling to do anything spectacular on a consistent basis.

Football vision doesn’t come with experience, you either have or it or you don’t. The best halves are often very productive in their early years.

franklin2323

Immortal

View attachment 30421

Maloney rushes up. Tries to put a hit on.. Often falls off but slows the guy for someone else. Goes down as a missed tackle but no try scored

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Question for those who think Cleary is/will be a top shelf halfback, what season would you expect him to regularly start creating tries?

I’m talking 20 try assists per season, or close to it.

I think he’ll be doing that by the end of this season.

An Origin series with Joey will be massive for him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
They didn’t ask him to set up tries?

Last year they told him to concentrate on his defence and steer the team around the park.

This year they told him to concentrate on his defence, his kicking and steering the team around the park. Freddy said that he also expected him to up his involvements.

I don’t think they expected the right side to offer as much as they did on attack. I get the impression that Joey saw a lot more than he expected and I think he will give Nathan more responsibility this time round.

rem286

Juniors

So we are comparing a 21 year old kid to a seasoned veteran who leads the whole comp on forced drop outs?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Last year they told him to concentrate on his defence and steer the team around the park.

This year they told him to concentrate on his defence, his kicking and steering the team around the park. Freddy said that he also expected him to up his involvements.

I don’t think they expected the right side to offer as much as they did on attack. I get the impression that Joey saw a lot more than he expected and I think he will give Nathan more responsibility this time round.

Maloney ran the show last year. Tedesco and Cook did in Origin 1. Nathan doesn't have the ability to get a team around the park yet.

Latest posts