What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt puts his hand up for selection to the NSW Origin squad

Big Sam

First Grade
Just mentioned on the Matty Johns show that the mail is Taufua.

1341858117_You-Dont-Say-Meme-Rage-Face-Nicolas.png

Bumble

First Grade
No - they're all in contention, was the FOX story. Nobody has been called into camp yet.

Nathan Merritt replaces Blake Ferguson in NSW State of Origin side
PHIL ROTHFIELD THE DAILY TELEGRAPH JUNE 18, 2013 10:08AM

INTO a Blues jersey: Nathan Merritt in action for the Rabbitohs. Source: News Limited
SOUTH Sydney winger Nathan Merritt has been drafted in the NSW State of Origin team as a replacement for dumped Blake Ferguson.

The record-breaking tryscorer has beaten Manly's Jorge Taufua and Knights flyer Akuila Uate into the team to play Queensland on Wednesday week at Suncorp Stadium.

Merritt will join the side this afternoon to while Ferguson left the team hotel in disgrace at 8am.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-of-origin-side/story-fni3fbgz-1226665481749

Merritt Selected for Origin II
Words: NSWRL Media Release I Photos: Nrlphotos.com
Tuesday 18 June 2013 10:17 AM

South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt has been called into the NSW VB Blues team for Game Two of the Holden State of Origin Series at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, on Wednesday June 26.
“It’s right up there,” said Merritt.
“I was shocked and surprised to be told that I was picked.
“It’s a joyful day and I’m a bit teary about it.
“To get the chance to represent my state is fantastic and I hope that Rabbitohs Members can get behind me as much as they do the three guys in the Queensland team.”
Merritt will join the team ahead of today’s training session at Coogee Oval.
The South Sydney Rabbitohs wish to congratulate Nathan on his selection and the very best of luck for his Origin debut.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-display/Merritt-Selected-for-Origin-II/77390

I never thought I'd see it...but great news.

All those years of toil and slog, and yes, the occasional slip up, and he's got a SoO jumper.

WELL DONE!!!

At last: Mr Nice Guy Merritt gets chance to shine at Origin
Date
June 19, 2013

Michael Carayannis

Call-up: Nathan Merritt, right, at the team photo. Photo: James Brickwood
For every Blake Ferguson there are any number of Nathan Merritts involved in rugby league, which makes the South Sydney winger's NSW call-up even more timely for the code.

Merritt, widely regarded as one of the most popular and admired players in the game, came into the Blues camp on Tuesday to replace Ferguson wearing just the clothes on his back. He had rushed from South Sydney training at Redfern Oval to join his new teammates for the team photo, where he was fitted with an over-sized shirt, and a mid-afternoon training session. And boy was he happy. After 12 seasons in the top grade, Merritt has finally ditched the tag of being known as one of the ''best players never to play Origin''.

"It's a reward for me," Merritt said. "I've been hanging around for a while now. I'm definitely not going to let it slip away from me.

"It's sad to see Fergo get suspended. Hopefully he gets himself sorted out and surrounds himself with positive and good people. It's a chance [for me]. I'll take this chance and hopefully I can play good and keep it."

Advertisement
After being on the fringe of representative selection for the best part of five years, Merritt conceded he thought his Origin opportunity had passed him by.

"I thought my time was up," Merritt said. "I thought I'd never get a chance. I'm here now and I'm honoured and it's an unbelievable feeling. I'm looking forward to it.

"I tried to brush it off and not let it concern me. It affects your football if you let it get to you. I learnt to brush it off and concentrate on what I needed to do that weekend. It's all paid off and I'm living the dream."

Doubts over his size and strength have prolonged his representative absence but coach Laurie Daley said Merritt would offer a new dimension to his side.

"He is a guy that provides you with something a little bit different," he said.

"He can sniff out a try and gets through his work. He is a professional and at Origin level you need professionals who will do their job."

At 30, Merritt is a mature debutant. His selection drew praise from uncle Ricky Walford, a former NSW winger, who said Merritt would be up to the task.

"He certainly deserves it," Walford said. "We all know he can score tries. He can sniff out a try. What he will do is he has an uncanny knack of being at the right place at the right time. Playing club footy he might have a different role in Origin. That's up to Laurie and coaching staff. He certainly will be an asset from where I sit.

"He is ready to go. After he missed out on the first team and I sent him a text and told him to hang in there and play well for his club. He has been able to do that week in week out and has been very consistent in the last few seasons.''

The Blues finally got to on-field action on Tuesday with a short 45-minute ball work session at Coogee Oval. Neither Brett nor Josh Morris trained and Anthony Watmough joined Michael Jennings on the sidelines, but Josh Dugan allayed any fears about his ankle, completing the full session.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-at-origin-20130618-2ogsz.html#ixzz2WcCi5gqb