What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt puts his hand up for selection to the NSW Origin squad

Nathan Merritt puts his hand up for selection to the NSW Origin squad
Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
May 08, 2013 12:00AM

SOUTH Sydney winger Nathan Merritt says he has "no fear of the Origin cauldron" and his painful 12-year wait for a Blues jersey should end.

Merritt has rocketed into calculations for a NSW start in game one next month following injuries to Manly fullback Brett Stewart and Dragons winger Brett Morris. Both players were considered Origin certainties.

The Daily Telegraph understands that Merritt could be a straight replacement for Morris if he fails to overcome a knee injury sustained against Manly on Monday night.

If Stewart, who has a hamstring, hip and upper leg problem, fails to prove his fitness, Jarryd Hayne would move to fullback and Merrit would come on to the wing.

After 146 tries in 208 NRL games, Merritt, 29, feels he is now ready to confront Queensland.

"Of course I would be ready. I am mature enough now," he told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"I have played 200 games and have got that experience not to have any nerves.

"I've got no fear of playing in the Origin cauldron. The Origin stage, or arena, wouldn't bother me. Every player wants to play Origin and, if that time comes, I would be over the moon.

"I have wanted to play Origin for a while. There may be an opportunity there, but I have to play well to get a call-up. If I play well for a few more games then I will put my name in there."

Merritt will get another chance to press his claims when the Rabbitohs face North Queensland on Friday night at ANZ Stadium.

Asked if he ever felt he was overlooked due to his race, Merritt said: "I wouldn't have a clue. Probably because they wanted a bigger winger, strength and size."

Stewart had scans yesterday, but the results won't be known until today. He was named last night for Manly's match against the Roosters on Monday night. Morris also had scans yesterday and was named to face Gold Coast this Sunday at Skilled Park.

However, neither player is guaranteed to line up for their respective teams this weekend.

Merritt yesterday received some high-profile support from Rabbitohs teammates Greg Inglis and Roy Asotasi.

"I'm not too sure about Brett Morris's incident or how long he's out for, but I'd love to see Nathan Merritt in the rep jersey," Inglis said.

"He did play well for City and plays well in any jersey he puts on. I'd love to see him put a Blues jumper on."

Asotasi said it was "mystery" why Merritt had been overlooked for so long.

"I definitely think he is ready to play Origin," he said. "It's a mystery as to why he isn't playing Origin, especially after how well he is going this year. It would be selfish for me to say I would rather have him in the red and green.

"He can find the tryline and win you a game.

"If NSW are looking for someone who can find the line, Merritt is the perfect candidate. He just has that tryscoring knack."

Inglis also talked down the spear tackle after being tipped on his head several times.

"I'm not worried whatsoever," he said. "No one is intentionally going out there thinking they're going to up-end someone on their head or anything like that."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nsw-origin-squad/story-e6frexqr-1226637157937

I'll take NSW jersey any way: Merritt
By James MacSmith
AAP
Tue 07th May, 5:33pm

The calls for Nathan Merritt to play State of Origin are becoming louder.
South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt says he is in the best form of his career as his State of Origin selection D-Day nears.

After playing a key role in the resurrection of the Rabbitohs and with a career record of 146 tries from 208 games, the calls for Merritt's selection in Laurie Daley's NSW side continue to come.

But the Souths flyer remains locked in a battle with Brett Morris, Akuila Uate, and Jarryd Hayne for the Blues wing spots.

Merritt has scored eight tries in nine games this year as Souths have rocketed to the top of the NRL ladder alongside Melbourne.

The 29-year-old Merritt earned just his second representative jersey this season with City, on top of a 2011 call-up, and said being part of one of the NRL's leading sides had helped him develop his game further.

"This is probably the best form I have been in," Merritt said on Tuesday.

"Team wise it has helped me a lot the way the team has been going. I'm really enjoying the my football but I know I still have a lot more improving to do and that is something I am working hard on.

Injuries to Morris (knee) and Brett Stewart (back, hamstring), with Hayne possibly moving to fullback to cover for the loss of the Manly custodian, could open the door further for Merritt.

And Merritt said he would be happy to take a NSW jersey anyway he can get it, even if it comes due to injuries to his fellow hopefuls.

"Either way you get selected, you get selected," Merritt said.

"Any opportunity I will take it, it would be awesome. Whether you get selected through injury or performance you would take it either way."

With Daley to name his team on May 26, Merritt still has time to impress, but former New Zealand captain and Souths teammate Roy Asotasi said he shouldn't have to.

"How he hasn't been selected is a mystery," Asotasi said.

"How many tries does he have to score?"

http://www.nrl.com/ill-take-nsw-jersey-any-way-merritt/tabid/10874/newsid/72135/default.aspx

southsport

First Grade
Good luck to Max.........one part of me wants to see him selected and the other part hopes that Souths don't lose him to origin.

hugzy

Juniors
i've never watched him that closely but:

how is he like under the high ball? pretty safe or slater-esque safe
how are his defensive reads, does he pull off regular try saving plays?
does he drop the ball cold often?

if he ticks those 3 criterion then i'd love to see him in origin. otherwise he could just become another scapegoat like aku

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
so looks like morris & stewart confirmed as about 4 weeks out..

so will miss origin one..

back 5 will be:

1. hayne
2. uate
3. jennings
4. morris
5. tafua

then:
mcmanus > peterson > merrit > williams

Zinga

Juniors
Good luck to Max.........one part of me wants to see him selected and the other part hopes that Souths don't lose him to origin.

I feel the same way southsport. Dont really give a dam about NSW as long as the Bunnies keep winning. Merrit and Inglis would be a massive lose for us with the top 4 being so close. But on the other hand I think Merrit deserves the nod if Morris is ruled out!

so looks like morris & stewart confirmed as about 4 weeks out..

so will miss origin one..

back 5 will be:

1. hayne
2. uate
3. jennings
4. morris
5. tafua

then:
mcmanus > peterson > merrit > williams

Michael Gordon for the wing with Merritt.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Injuries have potentially opened a spot for Max.

Considering some of the wing selections we have made over the years, he deserves a shot.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1. minichello
2. uate
5. hayne

is also a possibility...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

- Albert Einstein, physicist (1879 - 1955)

Funnily enough I posted that exact quote in the dragons forum after our first 3 games were losses, all using the same side each week, and team for rd 4 had just been posted up as the same..

But..

We won...

So, who's crazy now I asks ya?

Not me, and I've got it tattooed on my face to prove it.

Peter Sterling says South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt has earned his chance at State of Origin

Peter Sterling
The Daily Telegraph
May 09, 2013 12:00AM

AT the end of the 2006 season South Sydney's Nathan Merritt was positioned at the top of that year's try-scoring list. No great surprise for a man considered one of the game's best finishers at 23 years of age and in his fifth season of first grade.

Except for the startling fact that his team finished with the dreaded wooden spoon.

The Rabbits won a meagre three matches from the 24 contested, yet their winger was able to lead the field with 22 touchdowns next to his name.

Manly's Brett Stewart was next best, two behind.

Merritt's achievement was truly remarkable.

From his debut against the Warriors in 2002, Nathan has always shown an uncanny knack for getting the ball over the line.

He boasts a stunning strike-rate of 146 tries in 208 matches. With nine already under his belt this year in a powerful Souths line-up, he is a realistic chance of overtaking the club record of 29 in a season set by Les Brennan way back in the 1950s.

Actually, I should not use the word "boast" in a sentence when talking about Nathan because there are few more modest or unassuming individuals in the game. Suffice to say that he is no Wendell Sailor.

Nathan Merritt at Souths training. Picture: Brett Costello

However, it does the Alexandria Rovers junior an injustice to only concentrate on his try-scoring feats because he is much more than just a finisher.

Nathan is a complete footballer whose work off the ball is equally as impressive as when he has it in his hands.

His reading and cover of dangerous situations is astute, he is constantly looking for work well away from his left flank and defensively his positioning and communication is first class.

In recent weeks, centre Bryson Goodwin has been receiving plenty of deserved wraps for his work against dangerous opponents.

His effort to close down Manly's Jamie Lyon three weeks ago was highly effective, but don't underestimate the support he was given by the man on his outside.

Centres and wingers must work in tandem and the Souths duo are definitely in tune.

So if Merritt has all these outstanding attributes, why is it that he has not yet represented at a higher level than City Origin or Prime Minister's XIII.

Merritt, Sutton out to stake Origin claims against Cowboys

His name has certainly been mentioned in Origin dispatches almost annually without ever getting the nod.

The reason it would seem is that for many years now NSW have had a preoccupation with picking big, powerful flankers whose size and strength have been essential requirements.

If you look back through recent Origin campaigns, the likes of Brett Morris, Akuila Uate, Jarryd Hayne, Joel Monaghan, David Williams, Anthony Quinn, Matt King, Eric Grothe jnr and Timana Tahu all fit into that category.

There have been a few exceptions, with Steve Turner, Hazem El Masri, Michael Gordon and Newcastle's James McManus all being given a debut game each.

However, the Blues definitely favour athletic wingers with plenty of size because much of Origin is about bringing the ball out of corners from on your own line. The success in that early carry then determines the quality of the following set of six.

This tends to carry as much, if not more, importance than the finishing expertise of a winger, although that also carries plenty of attraction.

With incumbent Blues winger Brett Morris having arthroscopic knee surgery yesterday, Nathan's name has again been mentioned as a possible replacement if the Dragon flyer fails to recover in time for the opening Origin contest on June 5.

Being a fellow left-sided player, Merritt would be a leading alternative as a replacement option.

However, if Morris overcomes the knee problem in time, I would hate to think that Merritt would drop out of consideration for selection on the other side of the field because he doesn't play there at club level.

This would be particularly hard to fathom when you consider that Jarryd Hayne has played a number of games for NSW on the wing despite not even occupying that position for Parramatta.

If a player understands the game he will have absolutely no problem getting the job done on either side of the field, whether he plays there regularly or not, and if you watch the anticipation and positioning associated with Nathan Merritt's performances on a weekly basis, then it is clear that he "knows" the game.

It is why he is instrumental in stopping as many tries as he scores.

I understand that Origin is a different beast and that selectors tend to look for important and defined traits for this confrontation that aren't necessarily the most obvious.

It is also clear that the Rabbitohs star is not built like Manu Vatuvei or now possesses the pure speed of an Akuila Uate.

However, what also should not be overlooked is that to beat Queensland the Blues ultimately need to stop and score more points than their opposition and I'm certain Nathan Merritt would prove particularly advantageous in both departments.

Join Peter Sterling, Matt Johns, Mark Gasnier as Sterlo sits down with special guest Cowboys coach Neil Henry, takes you inside the video referee's box and interviews Sharks star Todd Carney.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-state-of-origin/story-e6frext9-1226637873521